Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2018

Last year I decided to try out membership plus. However, I am not very pleased to find that my membership was automatically renewed without any advance warning. (There are other issues with my renewal and unexpected charges that I consider incorrect, but I have opened a support ticket about those.) I just want to alert colleagues who may also have taken out membership plus as a trial, without realising that it is automatically renewed by default unless you change the setting yourself.

marie-pierre ducret

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 02:13
German to English
+ ...
advance warning Jan 6, 2018

I am surprised you say you have no advance warning: my membership was due to auto-renew at the end of November. I received email telling me about this on 31 October and 28 November:

Thank you for your membership at ProZ.com!

Since you have an ongoing subscription, your membership is set to automatically renew.

Upcoming payment information:

Next payment date: Nov 30, 2017 Amount: 189.21 USD (includes any applicable taxes) Char... See more
I am surprised you say you have no advance warning: my membership was due to auto-renew at the end of November. I received email telling me about this on 31 October and 28 November:

Thank you for your membership at ProZ.com!

Since you have an ongoing subscription, your membership is set to automatically renew.

Upcoming payment information:

Next payment date: Nov 30, 2017 Amount: 189.21 USD (includes any applicable taxes) Charge to: PayPal (me@email)

You can see and manage the status of your membership, subscription, and other information at http://www.proz.com/manage-membership

[...]

Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Not my experience Jan 7, 2018

Anne Lee wrote:
Last year I decided to try out membership plus....

Same here.
I didn't renew the Plus option and didn't have any problem in not doing so.
I seem to remember that unless I specified manual renewal (more expensive), I was clearly notified that renewal would be automatic.

A lot of things now work like that without you own manual input (Amazon Premium shipping comes to mind).

Philippe

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prior notice would be fairer Jan 7, 2018

Yes, I have auto-renewal for everything from my home insurance to my professional indemnity insurance, BUT I am informed several weeks in advance so that I can check the rate and still have time to cancel. I cannot remember any benefits of Professional membership plus that worked for me - perhaps others find it useful.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
right address? Jan 8, 2018

Are you sure you gave the same email address? All my Proz mails go to an email I created precisely for forum activity, so my business inbox doesn't fill up with messages like "your comment x has been removed because the entire thread was deleted".

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did give the same email address. - Careful, Proz.com changes renewal dates. Jan 8, 2018

All notifications from proz.com, from job offers to forum posts and support ticket-related emails, come straight to my inbox where I spot them straight away. However, the way this reminder is sent out must have gone to the spam folder. It should be sent out in a different, more noticeable manner.
It may be useful for other members to know that if you renew your membership a few weeks early but choose to upgrade to Membership Plus, the new membership will come into effect immediately, so yo
... See more
All notifications from proz.com, from job offers to forum posts and support ticket-related emails, come straight to my inbox where I spot them straight away. However, the way this reminder is sent out must have gone to the spam folder. It should be sent out in a different, more noticeable manner.
It may be useful for other members to know that if you renew your membership a few weeks early but choose to upgrade to Membership Plus, the new membership will come into effect immediately, so you will lose whatever was left of your membership. This is how - after 15 years of being a proz member - my renewal date was suddenly brought forward and it was no longer the date I had come to expect, year after year. Also, I am now being forced to extend my professional membership rather than receive a refund, so the renewal date will change again.

[Edited at 2018-01-08 13:06 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watch out for auto-renewal of professional membership plus

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »