Poland
Local time: 08:22
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
PLEASE POST IP ADDRESSES OF MESSAGES RECEIVED THROUGH PROZ.COM Oct 11, 2018

Hi folks,

This has been requested many-many-many times, but people keep complaining while ignoring the main method of locating and blocking scammers: providing IP addresses of messages received through ProZ.com.

Yolanda Broad
B D Finch

Sarah Prentice
Sarah Prentice
United States
French to English
+ ...
What to do next? Oct 20, 2018

Hi everyone,
I just recently joined this network as an effort to grow my freelance translation business. I received an email from this guy too, same as everyone mentioned above, that 44 pages, etc. etc. the death in the sponsor family, etc. Anyway, I did not know it was a scam (I know, I should have thought it through). Although I only translated 2 pages before waiting for the payment. He sent me a check FEDEX express, which I deposited into my savings. Part of the check cleared. But then
... See more
Hi everyone,
I just recently joined this network as an effort to grow my freelance translation business. I received an email from this guy too, same as everyone mentioned above, that 44 pages, etc. etc. the death in the sponsor family, etc. Anyway, I did not know it was a scam (I know, I should have thought it through). Although I only translated 2 pages before waiting for the payment. He sent me a check FEDEX express, which I deposited into my savings. Part of the check cleared. But then he asked for reimbursement (...etc.etc.) and asked to be reimbursed. How does this scam work? Does he really believe that I'm going to send him money while I wait for his check to clear? Basically, I know I've acted foolishly up until now. So I'm SO HAPPY I found this thread. (Thank you everyone, by the way). My main question is, am I in trouble? I'm obviously not going to send him money. Because I hadn't translated the document, I haven't actually wasted my time yet. ( And mind you, the doc itself is pretty interesting ) But! What do I do next?? Is there any way of tracking this guy/gal ?

Thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated. Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend!
Sarah
Collapse

Max Zalewski
Max Zalewski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same for Brenda Cole / Alice Oct 24, 2018

Got the same message from [email protected]. The IP address may be: 108.59.0.37

Hope no one else falls for this

TNT TRANSLATION
TNT TRANSLATION  Identity Verified
United States
English to Korean
me too! Oct 30, 2018

I just joined this club. I also got the email asking for Korean translation.
The originating IP may be 209.85.220.65. Thanks for this discussion.

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Damn, this scam is big... Oct 30, 2018

TNT TRANSLATION wrote:

I just joined this club. I also got the email asking for Korean translation.
The originating IP may be 209.85.220.65. Thanks for this discussion.

This IP address is the originator of several kinds of scams. They are probably using it as a "mule" without the owner knowing that:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/209.85.220.65

Katarzyna Slowikova

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes that is my character. And even on Defcon 2 with emails myself, I've fallen once or twice. Oct 30, 2018

First of all, I developed a sense on what a scam could be. I shared this with all of you for a reason: To help you. It is part of being a freelancer as well. Read again: If you have a "new client" with an address [name][whatever numbers]@gmail.com or @hotmail.com, the only thing you need to do is to hit the Delete button.

If you decide to go through with a client having an email address like that, good luck. I would suggest payment 100% in advance.

[quote]Sheila Wilson wrote:

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Javier Moreno-Pollarolo wrote:
If you have a "new client" with an address [name][whatever numbers]@gmail.com or @hotmail.com, the only thing you need to do is to hit the Delete button.

That's the best way to do business if you're totally averse to taking risks. But then, if that's your character, why ever would you be a freelancer in the first place? Why turn away perfectly good clients simply because of their choice of email address?

Risk management is an essential component of any freelancer's skill set. There are Wiki articles about it on this site. Every time a new client approaches you, go through various steps to check them out. If you simply accept someone just because they have a posh-sounding address then you're going to fall for every scam based on identity theft. Likewise, if you fail to check the payment reputation of an agency offering an interesting and well-paid job then you may find it pays zilch.

Rather than having any particular rule to apply to every job, assess the risk of each one and learn to sniff out the probable problems.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
German to English
Typical overpayment scam Oct 30, 2018

Sarah Prentice wrote:

Does he really believe that I'm going to send him money while I wait for his check to clear?

What do I do next?? Is there any way of tracking this guy/gal ?

Yes, he expects you to refund the overage, just as so many others have. This scam is used regularly and with success. Translators aren't the only victims. People selling on eBay, Craigslist, etc. are likewise victimized. Translators are especially susceptible since many have no concept of due diligence, as evidenced by the numerous reports of attempted and successful fraud as well as exploitation by dishonest agencies.

Your bank may charge you for depositing a bad check.

If you saved the envelope, you might contact Fedex. They don't want to be a purveyor of fraud.

[Edited at 2018-10-30 12:21 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova
Liviu-Lee Roth

Tiến Anh Lê
Tiến Anh Lê  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:22
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Same Terry Dec 21, 2018

The same Terry from IP 182.195.42.100 asked me:

"Hello,
My name is Terry Cole, I'm contacting you in regard to an English, content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to Vietnamese. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can

Thank you.

Best regards,
Terry C."

I am too busy to fall for him anyway.

Thanks for
... See more
The same Terry from IP 182.195.42.100 asked me:

"Hello,
My name is Terry Cole, I'm contacting you in regard to an English, content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to Vietnamese. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can

Thank you.

Best regards,
Terry C."

I am too busy to fall for him anyway.

Thanks for this useful mail thread.

[Edited at 2018-12-21 09:37 GMT]
Collapse

Dionella Cubero
Dionella Cubero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 01:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Received same exact message. Jan 5, 2019

Yup, I received the same exact email. It was suspicious from the beginning, mainly because of the broken English, and then the advanced payment method only through check brought up even more red flags. Luckily I've worked in a call center before and know scammers are always out there. Good thing I Googled the e-mail. Translators, beware!

Rula Malky wrote:

It is a good thing I ran a check on this guy.

After telling him that i don't translated into French, he sent me the below email. Beware of this guy!

terry cole

10:44 AM (33 minutes ago)
to me

Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. But what would be your full price for the job in $?. This project
is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. In the mean time, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check
2.USA Full Physical Address:
3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap and you can send text to
me here ( (772) 263-7262 (Please only Text) when you send the details.
Best Regards,

Terry C.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:22
French to English
+ ...
@Natalie - Where do we post IPs of scammers? Jan 6, 2019

Natalie wrote:

Hi folks,

This has been requested many-many-many times, but people keep complaining while ignoring the main method of locating and blocking scammers: providing IP addresses of messages received through ProZ.com.

People keep complaining while ignoring the main method of locating and blocking scammers because they obviously don't know that it exists.

This place should be on the first page of ProZ.com.

Regards,
Sandra

Katarzyna Slowikova
IrinaN

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:
Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
A perhaps not so new idea Jan 6, 2019

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

This place should be on the first page of ProZ.com.

Agree - this forum or some form of scam alerts should be highlighted on the main page and given the same importance as Jobs section. Not only scams targeting translators but also those aimed at outsourcers, so that it covers all kinds of Proz members (and non-members).

Anybody who thinks it's a good idea, pls click on Agree. Maybe Proz will make it happen, if they see how much support it has........................?

Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Paweł Hamerski (X)

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just received a similar message (4 February 2019) Feb 4, 2019

I guess I am now in this (not at all exclusive!) club. I just received the following email. Since it seemed fishy, I immediately googled the email address and stumbled upon this forum post. Thanks for that!

Here's the email I received:
Date: Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM
Subject: Service Needed.
to me

Hello,
I'm contacting you in regard to an English, content document. I need this document translated to Spanish. I woul
... See more
I guess I am now in this (not at all exclusive!) club. I just received the following email. Since it seemed fishy, I immediately googled the email address and stumbled upon this forum post. Thanks for that!

Here's the email I received:
Date: Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM
Subject: Service Needed.
to me

Hello,
I'm contacting you in regard to an English, content document. I need this document translated to Spanish. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can

Thank you.

Best regards,
Terry.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
For Natalie - here's another which arrived today, with IP address Feb 5, 2019

Author's IP address: 41.189.33.60
-----------

Hello dear please can i trust you, because i have something
serious to
discuss with you that is why i contacted you, please try get
back to me as
soon as possible.

Thanks Yours Friend
Anna

++++

I love all this "Hello dear" business, don't you? Sounds like I'm being e-mailed by my mother or my aunt. Can she trust me? Of course she can't.

Kevin Fulton

Marie Rollet
Marie Rollet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
Member (2016)
English to French
same here!! different names Feb 18, 2019

Max Zalewski wrote:

Got the same message from [email protected]. The IP address may be: 108.59.0.37

Hope no one else falls for this

I received the same email, exact in every word to the initial message of this thread.
In fact, two people contacted me to translate the same text...
Scotty Newman ([email protected])
Carol Anthony ([email protected])

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam from [email protected] (aka terry cole) sent thru PROZ.com network

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »