Thread poster: Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2018

Got a potential scam from a guy who calls himself "Terry Cole".

First, he sends me this:

Hello,
My name is Terry Cole, I'm contacting you in regard to an
English, content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I
need this document
translated to Polish. I would like to know if you are
interested and available to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you
can

Thank you.

Best regard
... See more
Got a potential scam from a guy who calls himself "Terry Cole".

First, he sends me this:

Hello,
My name is Terry Cole, I'm contacting you in regard to an
English, content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I
need this document
translated to Polish. I would like to know if you are
interested and available to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you
can

Thank you.

Best regards

I respond to him I don't translate into Polish, but he replies with this:

Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document to be translated to Spanish NOT POLISH, Am sorry. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 07/09/2018. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cashier check or bank certified check. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards,
Terry.

The email was sent through Proz.com, and the profile does NOT exist. IP address shows a location in Virginia.

Author: Terry Cole
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2601220
Author's IP address: 207.244.72.245
Message type: Other
Collapse

Michelle Masella
TNT TRANSLATION

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not the first, not the second, not the third, Sep 6, 2018

11,643 words (44 pages) is the first hint that guarantees that this is a scam. I've received this same offer (from "different" people) several times: 3 times thru ProZ.com Mail and several times from scammers who get my contact info from the directory of a local translators association.

I've started entertaining myself by giving them outrageous quotes. One scammer was really dedicated to keeping up with the charade that she really thought I was going to let her send me a $10,
... See more
11,643 words (44 pages) is the first hint that guarantees that this is a scam. I've received this same offer (from "different" people) several times: 3 times thru ProZ.com Mail and several times from scammers who get my contact info from the directory of a local translators association.

I've started entertaining myself by giving them outrageous quotes. One scammer was really dedicated to keeping up with the charade that she really thought I was going to let her send me a $10,000 cashier's check.
Collapse

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Lisa Grayson

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Sep 6, 2018

Apparently the same Terry Cole has been involved in every kind of scam…

See more
Apparently the same Terry Cole has been involved in every kind of scam…

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=IJmRW8LhCZCTsAezhLSAAw&q="terry%20cole"%20"scammer"&oq="terry%20cole"%20"scammer"&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1.2017.13402.0.14608.30.26.3.0.0.0.204.2680.10j13j1.25.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.24.2468.6..0j35i39k1j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i203k1j0i22i30k1j33i21k1.132.vSKo_K4bUDU
Collapse

Javier Moreno Pollarolo

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for keeping all of us aware and informed! Sep 6, 2018

Thank you all for this! I know I should have not responded, but it seems to me he's using a "hide my ass" kinda proxy server to pretend he´s in the U.S., but from what I read, he must be in Nigeria.

Ileana Fernandez Oakes
Ileana Fernandez Oakes  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scammer in action again Sep 7, 2018

I just got a very similar email today. Sept 6, 2018. As soon as I said that my only way of payment was Paypal, there was no response back at all. Keep an eye!!!!

Alba Rivas
Alba Rivas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same Scam - September 6th Sep 7, 2018

I also received a message from Terry Cole with a link to his profile as http://www.proz.com/profile/2601220. I checked the profile not by clicking on it but by pasting the link to my browser. I received a message saying that this individual was not registered with proz.com.

Izaskun Kortazar
Izaskun Kortazar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terry Cole Scam Sep 8, 2018

I also received the same message offering to pay just through check. I thought that it was strange.
Good to know that that it is a scam.
There are some grammar mistakes and typos in the messages. That was another alarm.
Wanting to pay in advance, very strange too.

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This person is a professional scammer. Be aware. Sep 10, 2018

He just sent me another email asking if I was available for the project. I am blocking him.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:39
English to Czech
+ ...
It runs in the family Sep 10, 2018

Apparently, the young Terry (only 17 and so talented!) is going in the footsteps of his dad, a prolific dating scammer:
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28563

Lisa Schuchardt

Michelle Masella
Michelle Masella  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to stop the scam artist? Sep 21, 2018

I got it too, same 11,643 words, payment in advance, cashier's check...
I fell for it... I even opened a PO Box... I'm guessing this is what I did right in order not to loose anything more than my time??

And to save anyone else the trouble... I have already translated the darn document - while I waited for payment to come I sent her several messages, to the cell phone number 772-263-7262, letting her know of my
... See more
I fell for it... I even opened a PO Box... I'm guessing this is what I did right in order not to loose anything more than my time??

And to save anyone else the trouble... I have already translated the darn document - while I waited for payment to come I sent her several messages, to the cell phone number 772-263-7262, letting her know of my progress and that I would only release when payment was received. I received only one initial SMS response. My status updates were never responded to. When I tried calling the number, the message states this number can only accept messages, and not calls.

I really have to do better at verifying every new potential client... this is what's so terrible about working freelance.
Did I read somewhere in this thread that there is someway I can demand payment?

And my original question, what does this scam artist get out of this? How does this scam work?

UPDATE: I just got done reading the excellent Wiki article on catching scams. So yes, I now understand what they hope to get out of their attempts.
My next question would be: If I receive a check, is there anything I can do to help some agency catch and stop the culprit? or should I write her back with a link to this thread, informing her not to bother sending the check? Although, I'm guessing this would only result in the scammer changing name...

Her last communication:

Jue 20/09/2018, 01:08 PM

Greetings, I noticed i sent you a message but it was return, There is a death in my sponsor family payment will be issued out to you soon, I will inform you as soon as payment as been mailed out to you.

Regards.

[Edited at 2018-09-21 23:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-22 23:29 GMT]
Collapse

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The scam "artist" will send you a fake check with more money, and you will have to pay him/her back Sep 21, 2018

The scam "artist" will send you a fake check with more money, and you will have to pay him/her back the difference.

I am so sorry you fell for this. My advice to you:

NEW CLIENT? PAYMENT IN ADVANCE VIA PAYPAL. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I know some corporations like to dispute this, but if that's the case, be sure they are legit and they do exist (Google Maps, etc.)

MichelleM75 wrote:

And to save anyone else the trouble... I have already translated the darn document - while I waited for payment to come I sent her several messages, to the cell phone number 772-263-7262, letting her know of my progress and that I would only release when payment was received. I received only one initial SMS response. My status updates were never responded to. When I tried calling the number, the message states this number can only accept messages, and not calls.

I really have to do better at verifying every new potential client... this is what's so terrible about working freelance.
Did I read somewhere in this thread that there is some way I can demand payment?

And my original question, what does this scam artist get out of this? How does this scam work?
Thanks.

Her last communication:

Jue 20/09/2018, 01:08 PM

Greetings, I noticed i sent you a message but it was return, There is a death in my sponsor family payment will be issued out to you soon, I will inform you as soon as payment as been mailed out to you.

Regards.

Michelle Masella
Lisa Grayson

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:39
English to Czech
+ ...
no title Sep 22, 2018

Javier Moreno-Pollarolo wrote:

My advice to you:

NEW CLIENT? PAYMENT IN ADVANCE VIA PAYPAL. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Seriously...???
I think you need to google "PayPal scam".

If you have a "new client" with an address [name][whatever numbers]@gmail.com or @hotmail.com, the only thing you need to do is to hit the Delete button.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:39
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Risk aversion or risk management? Sep 23, 2018

[quote]Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Javier Moreno-Pollarolo wrote:
If you have a "new client" with an address [name][whatever numbers]@gmail.com or @hotmail.com, the only thing you need to do is to hit the Delete button.

That's the best way to do business if you're totally averse to taking risks. But then, if that's your character, why ever would you be a freelancer in the first place? Why turn away perfectly good clients simply because of their choice of email address?

Risk management is an essential component of any freelancer's skill set. There are Wiki articles about it on this site. Every time a new client approaches you, go through various steps to check them out. If you simply accept someone just because they have a posh-sounding address then you're going to fall for every scam based on identity theft. Likewise, if you fail to check the payment reputation of an agency offering an interesting and well-paid job then you may find it pays zilch.

Rather than having any particular rule to apply to every job, assess the risk of each one and learn to sniff out the probable problems.

Michele Fauble
mariealpilles
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
B D Finch
Robert Forstag

Mary Japaridze
Mary Japaridze
Georgia
Local time: 10:39
English to Georgian
+ ...
The same story with an e-mail address: [email protected] Sep 28, 2018

same e-mail, same order, even the same text, word by word sends a cash of 4 080$, for an alleged second phase of the project beware

Rula Malky
Rula Malky
United States
Real Con ARtists Oct 10, 2018

It is a good thing I ran a check on this guy.

After telling him that i don't translated into French, he sent me the below email. Beware of this guy!

terry cole

10:44 AM (33 minutes ago)
to me

Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. But what would be your full price for the job in $?. This project
is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I
... See more
It is a good thing I ran a check on this guy.

After telling him that i don't translated into French, he sent me the below email. Beware of this guy!

terry cole

10:44 AM (33 minutes ago)
to me

Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. But what would be your full price for the job in $?. This project
is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. In the mean time, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check
2.USA Full Physical Address:
3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap and you can send text to
me here ( (772) 263-7262 (Please only Text) when you send the details.
Best Regards,

Terry C.
Collapse

Laura Brown
Dionella Cubero

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam from [email protected] (aka terry cole) sent thru PROZ.com network

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »