Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Local time: 11:05
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 18, 2019

Just received a mass mail from Alex Moros Pedro (gmail address), signing with Alexander Dobrovinsky and asking for a quote. Looks like a scam and I assume many more people of several languages combinations have received this. Probably you will be offered advance payment by cheque if you reply. DO NOT ACCEPT ADVANCE PAYMENT BY CHEQUE FROM UNKNOWN CLIENTS, EVER. They will claim they have paid too much, asking you to refund the excess amount by e.g. wire transfer, and then later on the cheque is no... See more
Just received a mass mail from Alex Moros Pedro (gmail address), signing with Alexander Dobrovinsky and asking for a quote. Looks like a scam and I assume many more people of several languages combinations have received this. Probably you will be offered advance payment by cheque if you reply. DO NOT ACCEPT ADVANCE PAYMENT BY CHEQUE FROM UNKNOWN CLIENTS, EVER. They will claim they have paid too much, asking you to refund the excess amount by e.g. wire transfer, and then later on the cheque is not valid and you lose money.

[Edited at 2019-06-18 08:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-18 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Received it too Jun 18, 2019

Edith van der Have-Raats wrote:

Just received a mass mail from Alex Moros Pedro (gmail address), signing with Alexander Dobrovinsky and asking for a quote. Looks like a scam and I assume many more people of several languages combinations have received this. Probably you will be offered advance payment by cheque if you reply. DO NOT ACCEPT ADVANCE PAYMENT BY CHEQUE FROM UNKNOWN CLIENTS, EVER. They will claim they have paid too much, asking you to refund the excess amount by e.g. wire transfer, and then later on the cheque is not valid and you loose money.

First for English - German and then for English - Dutch. He claims it is a private job. Can't find any proper information about the guy (job looks interesting though).

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I haven't even opened the attachments Jun 18, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

(job looks interesting though).

Forget about that. Of course they make the job look interesting. Fishermen make their bait look interesting too; otherwise, they'd not catch anything.

[Edited at 2019-06-18 08:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-18 08:49 GMT]

Susanne Bittner
Jessica Noyes
Mandy de Zwijger
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Rietvelt
Morano El-Kholy

Jane Green
Jane Green
Dutch to English
+ ...
Request from Alexander Dobrovinsky Jun 18, 2019

Same here. First he want a translation in German. Ans the straightaway another email saying it should be Dutch. His email address is also different to his name.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:05
French to English
Question Jun 18, 2019

Edith van der Have-Raats wrote:

Just received a mass mail from Alex Moros Pedro (gmail address), signing with Alexander Dobrovinsky and asking for a quote. Looks like a scam and I assume many more people of several languages combinations have received this. Probably you will be offered advance payment by cheque if you reply. DO NOT ACCEPT ADVANCE PAYMENT BY CHEQUE FROM UNKNOWN CLIENTS, EVER. They will claim they have paid too much, asking you to refund the excess amount by e.g. wire transfer, and then later on the cheque is not valid and you lose money.

[Edited at 2019-06-18 08:48 GMT]

This has never happened to me, but I've always wondered: isn't it possible just to return the cheque to them instead of refunding by wire transfer?

Marjan Borger
Marjan Borger
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Also received this mail Jun 18, 2019

Yeah... I also got both mails... deleting them!

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is ... Jun 18, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

This has never happened to me, but I've always wondered: isn't it possible just to return the cheque to them instead of refunding by wire transfer?

It is, but of course they will only ask a refund for part of the cheque payment. Of course you could return a false cheque for that amount

[Edited at 2019-06-18 09:17 GMT]

Trudy Stull

Camila bryant
Camila bryant
United States
Thanks Jun 18, 2019

Thank you! I have never received any kind of these emails yet, but it will surely help me and another fellow translators.

Elena Ruiz
Elena Ruiz

Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Mee too, Dutch and German Jun 18, 2019

Hi!
I've got it too. I've searched the address on Google Maps and it is certainly a particular. Just a small street, maybe picked up randomly...
I've also called him. He didn't speak Spanish (his name could suggest he is Spanish) and his English accent and lethargy on his speach were more than suspicious. He didn't want the translation for any clear purpose, not for publication or broadcasting. He let me do the talk and at any moment he explained, aks or comment anything.

... See more
Hi!
I've got it too. I've searched the address on Google Maps and it is certainly a particular. Just a small street, maybe picked up randomly...
I've also called him. He didn't speak Spanish (his name could suggest he is Spanish) and his English accent and lethargy on his speach were more than suspicious. He didn't want the translation for any clear purpose, not for publication or broadcasting. He let me do the talk and at any moment he explained, aks or comment anything.

I pass.
(The text looks (and must look) very interesting indeed!)

[Edited at 2019-06-18 10:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-18 10:48 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Boots (X)
Maria Boots (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Opened, googled, deleted! :) Jun 18, 2019

Thanks Edith, for keeping everyone alert on those kind of e-mails.
I did read these mails, then googled 'him', deleted them right away

Thayenga

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-dragons-triangle.htm Jun 18, 2019

The entire text literally comes from the internet

I didn't google him, I googled the text as there was something fishy about it (no pun intended).

So don't fall for it, interesting or not.

[Edited at 2019-06-18 16:01 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
German to English
No legitimate return address Jun 18, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

[snip]

You're presuming that the scammer has provided a legitimate return address, which is unlikely.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:05
French to English
Exactly Jun 18, 2019

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

[snip]

You're presuming that the scammer has provided a legitimate return address, which is unlikely.

If you send the cheque to the address they provided, it's not your problem if the address doesn't exist.

Carla Zijlemaker
Carla Zijlemaker  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Me too Jun 21, 2019

I received these emails too and didn't know what to think of it. Now I do. Thanks!

sabssmith
sabssmith
United States
I got this too! Jul 3, 2019

I got this same message - I asked if he was recommended to me by another client, and if so who it was.
I also quoted a ridiculous amount of money - I giggled as I wrote the email.
(No one in their right mind would agree to the amount).
Let's see what happens.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam warning - gmail message from Alex Moros Pedro, probably cheque trick

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »