Thread poster: Colleen Roach, PhD
Anna Aresi
Anna Aresi
United States
Local time: 04:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Kelvin Baker is Still Around Feb 2, 2021

I'm happy I found this forum before I proceeded any further! Kelving Baker is still on the loose, received an email from "him" yesterday February 1, 2021.

Zarina Nugmanova

Jeff & Hiroko Bunderson
Jeff & Hiroko Bunderson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Still at it. Now Kelvin Baker Feb 2, 2021

We received a translation request from a Kelvin Baker ([email protected]) for a translation of the document "FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON FARM PRODUCTION" BY Carie Hasselman.

He said in the original email:
"Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Japanese? I want it translated/submitted before March
5th.Please respond back if you can meet up with this
deadline."
... See more
We received a translation request from a Kelvin Baker ([email protected]) for a translation of the document "FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON FARM PRODUCTION" BY Carie Hasselman.

He said in the original email:
"Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Japanese? I want it translated/submitted before March
deadline."

Asked no questions about rates or experience, and is willing to pay half up front with a check.

Be careful.
Collapse

Adrian Aizpiri
Edina Toole

Adrian Aizpiri
Adrian Aizpiri
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kelvin Baker Feb 4, 2021

I too received a request. I might just pass on this one.

Here is his response...

Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Spanish? I want it translated/submitted before March
deadline.

Thanks for your interest in my project. Please send me the pro-forma invoice and grand total for translating ,proofreading and formatting for the document. Waiting to hear back from
... See more
I too received a request. I might just pass on this one.

Here is his response...

Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Spanish? I want it translated/submitted before March
deadline.

Thanks for your interest in my project. Please send me the pro-forma invoice and grand total for translating ,proofreading and formatting for the document. Waiting to hear back from you.

Thanks
Kelvin Baker

His IP address is from France. Author's IP address: 194.59.249.254
Collapse

Marcela Masso
Marcela Masso
United States
Local time: 03:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kelvin Baker back at it Feb 4, 2021

Just got a message from Kelvin asking for English to Spanish translation.. googled the title and author (Free Range Organic Farm Production essay), and found he was a fake. Man, at least try a lil harder.

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got this message as well. Feb 10, 2021

Hi Marcela and dear colleagues from Proz.com,
I hope you are well. I got this message a few days ago. He tried to send me a document but I noticed that was also a scam.

Feel free to contact me for more details.
Yugoslavia

Safira Amazan
Safira Amazan
France
Local time: 09:34
English to French
+ ...
Same SCAM but using email: Sara Irvine <[email protected]> Jun 22, 2021

This scam has been going around from many emails for a while now, I just received this one with this new email: Sara Irvine _ I figured I would add it here as well.

Sophie Slonka
Sophie Slonka
United States
English to French
+ ...
Sara Irvine Jun 22, 2021

Sara Irvine is another name for this scam.
I just received the same request:
"Please send me the pro-forma invoice and grand total for translating ,proofreading and formatting for the document. Waiting to hear back from you."
From

Claudia Vargas-Dekker
Claudia Vargas-Dekker  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Definitely a scam Jun 22, 2021

I am an ENGFRE and was contacted by "Sarah Irvine" too. I had a few email exchanges. Definitely a scam.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 09:34
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm guessing... Jun 24, 2021

... it could be fun making up these names. Maybe that's the way to relax after a hard week's scamming: crack open a few beers and have an "invent the name" session.

Zarina Nugmanova
Zarina Nugmanova  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Klavinbaker = travis Nickerson Aug 4, 2021

Hey, I just got the same email I saw here about FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON FARM PRODUCTION, same text of the message, but the name is different.

Elise Hendrick

Elise Hendrick
Elise Hendrick
United States
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Same document, same e-mail text, ENG-DE this time Jan 22, 2022

Having been stung by an overpayment scam a couple of years ago, I decided to google the sender when I received a request to translate this same 'Organic Farming etc.' document into German and found this thread. In order to test them out, I named a rate that most legit clients would probably try to negotiate down and insisted on payment by PayPal upfront (protip: Overpayment scammers prefer payment by 'wire transfer', but they actually don't use wire transfer because wire transfer includes consum... See more
Having been stung by an overpayment scam a couple of years ago, I decided to google the sender when I received a request to translate this same 'Organic Farming etc.' document into German and found this thread. In order to test them out, I named a rate that most legit clients would probably try to negotiate down and insisted on payment by PayPal upfront (protip: Overpayment scammers prefer payment by 'wire transfer', but they actually don't use wire transfer because wire transfer includes consumer protections that wreck their whole business model). 'Travis' had no objection to the rate, but did insist firmly on payment by 'wire transfer'. Not a gamble I'm prepared to take.Collapse

Charlene Jones
Charlene Jones  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Second time Jan 22, 2022

In August 2020 I got a message asking me to translate the free range organic file from Kelvin Baker. This week (January 2022) someone made the same inquiry with the name of Travis Nickerson. I am happy I found this thread. Definitely a scam.

ECDC73A0-3CDD-4586-962C-4FFAA1BADBDF

CA0F33A3-9D09-470A-B14D-80C7922D2C3C

E1E03146-0B13-4FC6-9749-62FA495BB29B

Ticiana Massi Grenga
Ticiana Massi Grenga  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2018)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
email from Travis Jan 22, 2022

I just received this same email today. I answered and said to pay 50% upfront using Paypal or Payoneer. It is probably the check scam.

Luca Ruella
Angie Garbarino

HAKAM NUGROHO (X)
HAKAM NUGROHO (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Travis Nickerson is the name (Indonesian translation request) Jan 23, 2022

His message also went through to my email with [Proz.com mail] in the subject, only it came in as "spam". Thought it might've been an error but sure enough a quick google search of the document's title led me to this thread. Thank goodness for that!!

Indonesian translators also beware and put more faith in your email's spam filter if it does pick up something

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Travis Nickerson. Jan 23, 2022

Same here, translatin into italian.

He sent me a mail asking if "I was available for his translation project" to which I just answered "YES", just to make sure if it was a scam or not.

I then received the same email others have received asking for proforma invoice etc.

I won't engage this j3rk further.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam: organic farming translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »