Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 18:21
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2019

Relevance of the IP address

Unfortunately, nowadays, anybody can hide the true IP address. Most of the crooks use the TOR (Onion) encryption tool in order to hide the real IP address and most of the time the IP posted is the the one that belongs to a proxy.
Myself, I have an antivirus and anti-tracking program that, when activated, places me anywhere in the world.

Name of the sender

It is irrelevant. „John Wilson” can be a scammer in Ukraine, Alba
... See more
Relevance of the IP address

Unfortunately, nowadays, anybody can hide the true IP address. Most of the crooks use the TOR (Onion) encryption tool in order to hide the real IP address and most of the time the IP posted is the the one that belongs to a proxy.
Myself, I have an antivirus and anti-tracking program that, when activated, places me anywhere in the world.

Name of the sender

It is irrelevant. „John Wilson” can be a scammer in Ukraine, Albania, Congo or Indonesia.
The only real benefit is that when a potential victim searches for the name, it appears as being connected to a scam.

E-mail address

Irrelevant. They change the e-mail addresses more often than their underwear.

We must understand that there are not just a handful of scammers. It is a very profitable INDUSTRY, along with the eBay scam and ATM skimming.

In order to prevent becoming a victim, me must stay informed of the latest trends and send to the trash any message, without replying or interacting with the sender.

Hope it helps.
Stay safe,
Lee
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Elizabeth Tamblin
Michele Fauble
Kevin Fulton
CARL HARRIS
Vadim Kadyrov

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:21
English to Czech
+ ...
Posting body text IS valuable Jul 26, 2019

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

In order to prevent becoming a victim, me must stay informed of the latest trends

I agree the details you mentioned are not very helpful (though they tend to use them more than once so it does help a tiny bit to post them publicly) but I think you put the bar needlessly high. Mostly it's enough to just google a part of the message body, since this is one detail that stays the same for years, if not decades.

But of course, we wouldn't know this, if nobody ever posted it. So I'd say, it does make sense to post the body text of the messages, just in case they came up with something new that will be recycled for the next decade(s).

The likelihood you will be targeted by a totally new scam that would use a body text that hasn't been posted anywhere yet, is imho minimal. So googling this will make you very close to safe, at least from scams.

(I have the feeling this is in response to the last (and clueless) thread in this forum, is it...?)

[Edited at 2019-07-26 17:51 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Trudy Stull
Yolanda Broad

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Charming! Jul 26, 2019

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
„John Wilson” can be a scammer in Ukraine, Albania, Congo or Indonesia.

My hubby's here with me and he certainly isn't a scammer!!!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Katarzyna Slowikova
DZiW (X)
Vesa Korhonen
Yolanda Broad

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmmm, I heard rumors about his double life ... Jul 26, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
„John Wilson” can be a scammer in Ukraine, Albania, Congo or Indonesia.

My hubby's here with me and he certainly isn't a scammer!!!

My friends in law enforcement advised me otherwise !)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
CAVEAT EMPTOR & VENDiTOR: Self-victimizing Jul 26, 2019

Liviu-Lee, I agree with you for besides anonymizers, proxifiers, fake names, and pre-generated messages, modern perpetrators can easily impersonate ANY real person, acting behalf of somebody else's real name--UNLESS a contact demonstrates the commons sense and due diligence to check the details. There's too much irrelevant and misleading info--with a purpose.

I believe if a supposed businessman can't manage the risks properly, he is really asking for troubles very so
... See more
Liviu-Lee, I agree with you for besides anonymizers, proxifiers, fake names, and pre-generated messages, modern perpetrators can easily impersonate ANY real person, acting behalf of somebody else's real name--UNLESS a contact demonstrates the commons sense and due diligence to check the details. There's too much irrelevant and misleading info--with a purpose.

I believe if a supposed businessman can't manage the risks properly, he is really asking for troubles very soon: it's not the appearance, but the scheme what makes difference.

On the other hand, I can't help wondering how an educated and sensible man could agree with a stranger to do the translation in , not to mention for $0.025/word with "discounts" after 60+ days. Who they trust, Mr Silly or Ms Naivette?!

Several times I saw fraudsters entitling themselves as "mentors" and "life-coaches", boldly bragging about teaching expensive lessons to the needy and undereducated... Makes sense too.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Vadim Kadyrov

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Agree Jul 27, 2019

The most efficient way to deal with scams is to focus on the scams themselves and the clues they provide. Information on the Internet could then just confirm our decision, but the decision should be based on a twofold risk analysis (1. sender 2. job).

1. Here, we have BlueBord, but other customer evaluation services as well. If the reliability of a first-time customer cannot be reasonably confirmed, there might be a problem. Regarding direct clients, especially large companies, it s
... See more
The most efficient way to deal with scams is to focus on the scams themselves and the clues they provide. Information on the Internet could then just confirm our decision, but the decision should be based on a twofold risk analysis (1. sender 2. job).

1. Here, we have BlueBord, but other customer evaluation services as well. If the reliability of a first-time customer cannot be reasonably confirmed, there might be a problem. Regarding direct clients, especially large companies, it should be noted they usually prefer to work with other companies. If they choose to use a freelancer's services, it's likely they will ask someone they trust to recommend them one.

2. If the job seems too simple or too well-paid, and the sender is someone we don't know, he/she is probably not our friend. It's also not unusual the job description contains some really odd things, like the figures just don't add up.

Regarding the IP, I think it can be useful. Sometimes, identifying a message as scam can take some time and effort. But if you check the sender's IP, and it's based where it shouldn't ... end of story.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IP is not reliable Jul 27, 2019

Mihai Badea wrote:

Regarding the IP, I think it can be useful. Sometimes, identifying a message as scam can take some time and effort. But if you check the sender's IP, and it's based where it shouldn't ... end of story.

I disagree with that. With a special software, I can place my IP wherever I want. Last week I was in France, and for a certain message I placed myself in Boston, USA. The IP is not reliable.

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
VPN software can make things tricky Jul 28, 2019

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Mihai Badea wrote:

I disagree with that. With a special software, I can place my IP wherever I want. Last week I was in France, and for a certain message I placed myself in Boston, USA. The IP is not reliable.

It's true. If the sender uses a VPN software, he/she can place himself/herself virtually anywhere in this world.

I would still check the IP, just in case the sender doesn't use VPN.

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Irrelevance of posting the IP address, e-mail or name of the scammers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »