Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
TaifRady
TaifRady
United States
Local time: 19:36
English to Arabic
I think I was scammed Jun 16, 2020

I received similar email with the exact same scheme, I deposited the check few hours ago, please help, what should I do?
I really appreciate if anyone can offer me some guidance.

Tom Zhang
Tom Zhang
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same Spam from Valerie john Jun 16, 2020

Author: Valeria [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 192.169.136.169

-----------

Hi there ?Are you available to translated English document
to Chinese ? Reply to ( [email protected] ) Thanks...Valeria

I just registered on this platform 2 days ago ......Be aware of this person!
... See more
Author: Valeria [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 192.169.136.169

-----------

to Chinese ? Reply to ( [email protected] ) Thanks...Valeria

I just registered on this platform 2 days ago ......Be aware of this person!

[Edited at 2020-06-16 04:01 GMT]
Collapse

Mariko Kageyama (X)

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 00:36
English to German
In memoriam
As long as you don't send out money, you should be fine Jun 16, 2020

TaifRady wrote:

I received similar email with the exact same scheme, I deposited the check few hours ago, please help, what should I do?
I really appreciate if anyone can offer me some guidance.

If you deposited the check already, you should be aware that the check is a forgery, and act accordingly. Warn your bank about your fear and ask them. If they credited the check already, expect it to blow later, and don't touch that "money". By no means "return" or "forward" part of the money to anyone for whatever reason. And of course don't waste your time with the translation work.

As soon as you receive the usual fairy tale about how something went wrong and you need to send the overpaid money somewhere, you know for sure that this is a scam, you should cease all communication and forget the whole affair.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Solvita Meke
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 23:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
So they sent you a cheque? Jun 16, 2020

It may be that they try money laundering. You should really alert the police about this, so that it cannot come back to haunt you.

AymanArabic
AymanArabic
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
I was about to cash the check Jun 16, 2020

then I thought let me google the phone number. Same phone number that most of you listed above.
So, what would have happened if I cashed the check?
Fake?
Ayman Sokkarie

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Please read the comments from above Jun 18, 2020

AymanArabic wrote:

then I thought let me google the phone number. Same phone number that most of you listed above.
So, what would have happened if I cashed the check?
Fake?
Ayman Sokkarie

It is the classic, ancient overpayment scam.

Stay safe, and read more often the Scam section.

lee

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
The check is fake Jun 18, 2020

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

It may be that they try money laundering. You should really alert the police about this, so that it cannot come back to haunt you.

It is not about money laundering! It is the overpayment scam, explained here million times!

Lee

Kay-Viktor Stegemann

Megan Murphy-Reggio
Megan Murphy-Reggio
United States
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2 Jun 20, 2020

I received an email from [email protected] today. It was identical to what Samuel Murray said in his post on September 24th, 2019, except this was for an English to Spanish translation. Same source document, deadline and payment request.

Candice Carmel
ratranslation

nhr24
nhr24
United States
English to Korean
+ ...
Same here Jun 24, 2020

I received the same thing just a week ago, except the job is translation from English to Korean. Let me copy and paste the email below.
=======
A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Valeria
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 36.92.219.206

-----------

Hi there ?Are you available to translated English
... See more
I received the same thing just a week ago, except the job is translation from English to Korean. Let me copy and paste the email below.
=======
A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Valeria
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 36.92.219.206

-----------

to Korean ? Reply to ( [email protected] )
Thanks...Valeria

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2090324
Login at: http://www.proz.com/profile/
Edit your profile mail preferences: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=36.92.219.206&add_email_block=valeriajosh1919@protonmail.com
Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&report_spam=25412873
-----------
Collapse

Blanca Dominguez Cobreros
Blanca Dominguez Cobreros  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Certified cheque scam Jun 24, 2020

Hi,

I just want to add a new similar story to the forum. It happened just a few days ago. I was contacted privately via ProZ by a supposed outsourcer from the USA with a two-phase translation project (the first badge was about 45 pages). They offered to pay 50% in advance and asked my bank details to make the transfer. A couple of days later, they sent the following message and here all the alarm bells started ringing:

Hello Blanca,

I was told the financ
... See more
Hi,

I just want to add a new similar story to the forum. It happened just a few days ago. I was contacted privately via ProZ by a supposed outsourcer from the USA with a two-phase translation project (the first badge was about 45 pages). They offered to pay 50% in advance and asked my bank details to make the transfer. A couple of days later, they sent the following message and here all the alarm bells started ringing:

Hello Blanca,

I was told the financial director who will approve the transfer is critically ill and we could not go ahead with the proposed bank transfer again.It has now been concluded to have the payment paid via certified cheque which was posted to your address yesterday.

After presenting your quote with the planner's quote, I also got an update from the accountant the cheque he issued was for the amount that is meant for you and planner together instead of issuing a separate cheques.
You will kindly have the excess funds transferred to the planner representative as soon as you have the cheque clears in your bank.

Thanks for your comprehensive understanding.

Kind regards

The mistaken certified cheque for an amount in excess seems to be a classic: https://www.thebalance.com/cashier-s-check-fraud-315795
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Candice Carmel
Candice Carmel  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 Jun 26, 2020

I received the same request today through proz, from [email protected], for English to Spanish.

I followed proz's guidelines on Six Ways to Asses New Outsourcers and was able to uncover the spam immediately. I highly suggest reading this before responding to new requests from unknown companies or individuals:
... See more
I received the same request today through proz, from [email protected], for English to Spanish.

I followed proz's guidelines on Six Ways to Asses New Outsourcers and was able to uncover the spam immediately. I highly suggest reading this before responding to new requests from unknown companies or individuals: https://go.proz.com/blog/qualify-new-outsourcers
Collapse

ratranslation

Solvita Meke
Solvita Meke
Spain
English to Latvian
+ ...
Gutted Jun 27, 2020

I was approached by one Rachel Smith ([email protected]) with this same project couple of days ago through Smartcat platform notification. I was over the moon- the topic is one of my favorites! The text file she sent is in Spanish to be translated into English. Failed to find a profile on Smartcat or any online presence, I came across this vast amount of testimonies here...

Same wording others have received:

"I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling
... See more
I was approached by one Rachel Smith ([email protected]) with this same project couple of days ago through Smartcat platform notification. I was over the moon- the topic is one of my favorites! The text file she sent is in Spanish to be translated into English. Failed to find a profile on Smartcat or any online presence, I came across this vast amount of testimonies here...

Same wording others have received:

"I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project.However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 30th June-2020. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cashier's check or bank certified check. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.Best Regards"

Very disappointed, to say the least.

Smartcat has since blocked the user.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to join your community and share experiences.

Solvita M.
Collapse

Elizabeth Chivers

Anh Dao
Anh Dao
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
The same situation Jun 27, 2020

I have joined this platform lately. I receive the request from Matt Welch to translate from English to Vietnamese about 11,600 words. The document is quite different COMMUNITY STUDENTS PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1. However, the same address and phone number.
So upset and angry. You guys must be careful!

Joannie Pharand

Olga Shabliy
Olga Shabliy
United States
Local time: 18:36
English to Russian
+ ...
lindadale1020 <[email protected]> - the next scammer Jun 29, 2020

I've received the same offer some days ago. I suspected it was a scam. Thanks to the forum and the topic for letting me know that such letters are scams, and saving my time and money.

María Mudarra
María Mudarra
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
THEY ARE STILL SCAMMING Jun 29, 2020

A few days ago, someone with the email [email protected] contacted me for the same work with this message "Greetings,I have a Spanish content document with 12,750 words words (49 Pages). I need this document translated to English. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me via [email protected] asap". In case you receive something simil... See more
A few days ago, someone with the email [email protected] contacted me for the same work with this message "Greetings,I have a Spanish content document with 12,750 words words (49 Pages). I need this document translated to English. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me via [email protected] asap". In case you receive something similar, it is a complete scam. The title of the document in Spanish was "INVESTIGACIÓN DE LOS PROCEDIMIENTOS DE UNA ORGANIZACIÓN PUBLICAS". It is 49 pages long (12.714 words)Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »