krizia blasi
krizia blasi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2019

Hello everybody.
I received an offer from this Indian company, Dataworks: http://www.dataworks.co.in

Do any of you know it? Can you tell me if it's a reliable company?

Thanks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Post a question on the Blue Board Dec 2, 2019

krizia blasi wrote:
I received an offer from this Indian company, [name deleted]. Do any of you know it? Can you tell me if it's a reliable company?

Posting a question about them here in the forums is going to reach a very small audience. They're not on the Blue Board, so what you should do is add them:
https://www.proz.com/?sp=bb&action=add_outsourcer_form&sp_mode=add
and then wait for people who have worked with them to respond.

FWIW, the LinkedIn and Facebook links on their web site do not link to their LinkedIn or Facebook profiles (but to other companies' profiles), and they don't seem to have a presence on LinkedIn at all. They do have a valid Twitter feed, where you can read that they launched their new web site in about September 2017, and from that point onwards they posted a couple of interest related reposts. They're not on WPPF either (although the WPPF search utility has been unreliable for a while now).

What makes you think that they may be scammers?

Yolanda Broad

krizia blasi
krizia blasi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replying me Dec 2, 2019

They have a profile on Linkedin. But I have read conflicting opinions on this company and would like to know if it's a reliable company as it seems.
I'll post on blue board.

Thanks.

Annemarie Avezaat

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Krizia Dec 2, 2019

krizia blasi wrote:
They have a profile on LinkedIn.

Can you give us the URL? I was unable to find them there.

Elisa Passaretti
Elisa Passaretti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Krizia, did you manage to find anything about this company? I have been contacted by them too! Dec 9, 2019

krizia blasi wrote:

Hello everybody.
I received an offer from this Indian company, Dataworks: http://www.dataworks.co.in

Do any of you know it? Can you tell me if it's a reliable company?

Thanks.

Yolanda Broad

Annemarie Avezaat
Annemarie Avezaat  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
It looks suspicious Apr 20, 2020

Hi Krizia,

I just received a message on LinkedIn about an "opportunity" which doesn't even come close to my profile and experience. Except for the language combination.
They also didn't introduce themselves at all, which most professional individuals and companies do.

They have a profile on LinkedIn, which gives the impression that this is a company run by an individual. Someone asked for the link, but I'm sure translators with good research skills will be able t
... See more
Hi Krizia,

I just received a message on LinkedIn about an "opportunity" which doesn't even come close to my profile and experience. Except for the language combination.
They also didn't introduce themselves at all, which most professional individuals and companies do.

They have a profile on LinkedIn, which gives the impression that this is a company run by an individual. Someone asked for the link, but I'm sure translators with good research skills will be able to find it using a search engine.

There are no entries on the Blue Board and they haven't posted any jobs here in 5 years. Interestingly, the 'recruiter' of this company created a profile in November 2019.

I'm not saying it is a scam, but this company does look suspicious. I decided not to answer their message, since the opportunity offered doesn't match my skills anyway. If it had, I probably would not have replied either.

[Edited at 2020-04-20 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

Clément Marquet
Clément Marquet
Local time: 00:46
Chinese to French
+ ...
Very low price Feb 12, 2021

Hi,

I also received several messages (mail and Linkedin) from this company. I decided to answer to know a bit more.

They offered me a translation of a book of approx. 500 pages/123k Chinese characters into French for 0.02USD. I don't have much experience in book translations but with a standard of 0.10-0.15USD/character for this language combination, this is obviously ridiculously low.

That's maybe why they are very active in contacting translators as th
... See more
Hi,

I also received several messages (mail and Linkedin) from this company. I decided to answer to know a bit more.

They offered me a translation of a book of approx. 500 pages/123k Chinese characters into French for 0.02USD. I don't have much experience in book translations but with a standard of 0.10-0.15USD/character for this language combination, this is obviously ridiculously low.

That's maybe why they are very active in contacting translators as they may not find easily people eager to work at that price.

Clément
Collapse

Federica Carboni

Federica Carboni
Federica Carboni
Italy
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Got contacted as well Feb 19, 2021

Another Chi-Ita traslator and I got contacted today on LinkedIn. This is their profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dataworks-b81b4855/

They wrote:

"The book “ Leading Role” is a simple narrative book with 653,844 characters. The deadline would be April 15. Could you please tell me how many characters can you deliver before April 15?"

I don't kno
... See more
Another Chi-Ita traslator and I got contacted today on LinkedIn. This is their profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dataworks-b81b4855/

They wrote:

"The book “ Leading Role” is a simple narrative book with 653,844 characters. The deadline would be April 15. Could you please tell me how many characters can you deliver before April 15?"

I don't know what to think about this agency...

They also sent me this e-mail:
"I am Prema, part of the DataWorks recruitment team. DataWorks is a digital publishing service provider based in India. We cater to more than 100 highly successful global publishers in integrating their content strategy. You can also log on to www.dataworks.co.in to know more about us.

This hiring process is intended for attracting and retaining a large number of freelance translators (Chinese to Italian) to process books on a regular on-going interval. This is a great opportunity to be part of a long term project.

Kindly share your updated CV with experience and list translated books if any.

Kindly let me know your interest in the project and your commitment to the long term association with us.

Thanks & Regards,"

Prema

[Edited at 2021-02-19 12:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-19 12:05 GMT]

Asked for more info on LinkedIn and they offered me 0.014USD/character. I asked if that rate was open to discussion and they replied:
"Thanks for your quick response. With reference to our Chinese to Italian translations, we would like to inform you that we already have a wide pool of freelancers working for us at 0.014 USD per character. To reach the enhanced demand from our clients, we are extending our freelancers team. We are looking for long term co-operation which may continue probably 1-2 years. As we have a strict budget for this project, we are unable to negotiate the price for this project. So we sincerely request you to join the team by sending us your revised rate per character in USD."

In my opinion it's probably not a scam, just an agency that offers very, very low rates.

[Edited at 2021-02-19 13:58 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know the Dataworks company?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »