Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:50
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Oct 6, 2010

Hello,

Is it possible to change the colour of words throughout a sentence?

For example...

Communicate through the most influential and credible contact points (see Connect);

The words 'see Connect' would be in bright blue and the rest in black.

Thank you.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Only if the colour was present in source Oct 6, 2010

If you meen adding formatting to the text, so it is only possible for italics, bold or underline, sometimes for upper or lower index, but not adding colours unless the colour has already been present in the source segment.

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 7, 2010

i thought this might be the case. This is something frustrating I find about trados suite. It makes the job take a lot longer if there are a lot of words coloured throughout a text. Also, trados does some very wierd things if you copy the source over then edit each part of the text in the different colours. You start to type at one point and it deletes half of the sentence and the cursor jumps to another place in the sentence.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Strange - my version behaves very civilized in that respect Oct 7, 2010

Really, I do not see any certain and specific Trdaos problem here.
This is something of general nature - as we are not working in the source application all formatting is represented by tags. However, to make the life easier, Studio is hiding those tags and displaying formatting on screen instead, as long the formatting can be determined.
So in your case you most probably do not see tags but formatting. In that case working must not be really more complicated - you have two possibili
... See more
Really, I do not see any certain and specific Trdaos problem here.
This is something of general nature - as we are not working in the source application all formatting is represented by tags. However, to make the life easier, Studio is hiding those tags and displaying formatting on screen instead, as long the formatting can be determined.
So in your case you most probably do not see tags but formatting. In that case working must not be really more complicated - you have two possibilities: copy source to target and overwritte or write the sentence and apply formatting afterwards.
In the first case however you need to pay attendtion to place the cursor in right places. I have already described here what happens with formatting in Word when you mover from left to right through one sentence with a single bold word inside and how this is when moving the cursor from right to left.
Second case means applying formatting to already written text and this is self explaining.

When working with CATs you need some imagination abilities - so understanding how formatting works is a big advantage. In my case for all this reasons I do work only with viewed tags.
If I just see tags, there is no formatting, but just placing the tags in right places. Easy and clean.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for this explanation Oct 7, 2010

thank you for this explanation

Can you tell me how to turn this feature on please?

I tried the different options in tag display mode but nothing appears.

thank you.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In Word files you need to tell the software explicitly you need to see tags Oct 7, 2010

Otherwise all tags will be hidden.
This is even not only for Word files, but in all WYSIWYG environments.
You can however switch the tag view on by clicking a button situated directly besides the "reverted P" button (that one symbolizes the view of non-printable characters, as in Word). This button looks like a sheet of paper with text. Clicking it activates/deactivates tag view in WYSIWYG environment.

To view only text and tags go to Tools - Options - Editor and chose t
... See more
Otherwise all tags will be hidden.
This is even not only for Word files, but in all WYSIWYG environments.
You can however switch the tag view on by clicking a button situated directly besides the "reverted P" button (that one symbolizes the view of non-printable characters, as in Word). This button looks like a sheet of paper with text. Clicking it activates/deactivates tag view in WYSIWYG environment.

To view only text and tags go to Tools - Options - Editor and chose there what shall be displayed.
The option for only tags is "Show all tags, but no formatting".
Collapse

Yunmi Lee

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you this is helpful Oct 7, 2010

i have been wondering how to find this for a ling time. Mystery solved. Thanks

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 21:50
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Changing colour of text Aug 24, 2016

I also find it extremely frustrating that I can't mark a word in the target language and then colour it.
This function would save me many hours of work, just on the one document I am working on at present.

Kristina Pisa
Ekrem Dundar

Zuzana Jurková
Zuzana Jurková
Italy
Italian to Czech
+ ...
Coloured words Mar 13, 2018

I've just found out that you can colour the word double clicking on it and then pressing the ctrl + comma buttons and selecting "sample text" (if this option isn't visible just try to scroll down in the field with the cursor end press enter). However, it works only if there's a corresponding coloured text in the source. I'm so glad I figured it out, it will save me a lot of time!

Secil Kivrak
Denisa Altdorfferová-Sedef
CATHERINE GROSY
Bea Geenen

Kathleen Misson
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
nice one thank you Mar 13, 2018

Zuzana Jurková wrote:

I've just found out that you can colour the word double clicking on it and then pressing the ctrl + comma buttons and selecting "sample text" (if this option isn't visible just try to scroll down in the field with the cursor end press enter). However, it works only if there's a corresponding coloured text in the source. I'm so glad I figured it out, it will save me a lot of time!

Olga Montes

France
Member (2020)
English to Slovak
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ďakujem Vám veľmi pekne za radu! :) May 13, 2021

Zuzana Jurková wrote:

Kathleen Misson

CATHERINE GROSY
CATHERINE GROSY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Thank you!!! Oct 3, 2022

Zuzana Jurková wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio change colour of words in target text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »