Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Error: "SelectedTab Cannot be Set Before the Pane Has Been Added to a Panes Collection
Thread poster: Scott Saylor
Scott Saylor
Scott Saylor  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
Japanese to English
Feb 15, 2011

UPDATE: I fixed the problem finally after trying a million different things over the last five hours. The problem fixed when I pressed on "Reset Window Layout" in the View menu. Once the windows were set back to their default positions, then verification worked. But seriously, this is too much to have errors like this before a deadline!! These type of critical errors seems to happen a lot, and they prevent me from doing really integral functions like "Save Target." Anyway, Does anyone know in th... See more
UPDATE: I fixed the problem finally after trying a million different things over the last five hours. The problem fixed when I pressed on "Reset Window Layout" in the View menu. Once the windows were set back to their default positions, then verification worked. But seriously, this is too much to have errors like this before a deadline!! These type of critical errors seems to happen a lot, and they prevent me from doing really integral functions like "Save Target." Anyway, Does anyone know in this case why the Window Layout has anything to do with being able to verify the document? Would be nice to know. I literally spent hours uploading pieces of the source document to see if I could locate the part of the document that was a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELP! I have a file due tomorrow that I spent a whole bunch of time putting into Trados (it was originally PDFs)!

This is the problem: When I go to verify the document, it will not let me and stops in the middle of the process saying ""SelectedTab Cannot be Set Before the Pane Has Been Added to a Panes Collection".
What does that mean?! If I go to show the messages, same error message.

Please help soon! This is due early tomorrow, and I always end up with these types of critical TRADOS errors right at the most inconvenient times.

[Edited at 2011-02-15 05:13 GMT]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edited at 2011-02-15 05:20 GMT]
Collapse

CATHERINE GROSY
MAISEL ROCHA
Chengqing Zhan

Transdiction (X)
Transdiction (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
"Reset window layout" fix--thank you Jun 2, 2011

Just wanted to thank you, Scott, for taking the time to post this fix. Frustrating as heck not being able to open the .sdlxliff file to work on my document because of this error.

Hope this feedback makes up somewhat for your lost time--your altruism is truly appreciated by this translator!

Scott Saylor
Scott Saylor  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jun 2, 2011

Whooops! I just assumed this was my post about superscript and subscript, but this was my post about resetting the Window Layout. Sorry about any confusion! Anyway, glad that it worked for you! I always reset my windows whenever something strange goes on and seems like windows may somehow be involved.

Anyway, for reference, the below writing is how I got around the superscript / subscript problem that I posted in another topic. Refer to it if you like for any of those issues.
... See more
Whooops! I just assumed this was my post about superscript and subscript, but this was my post about resetting the Window Layout. Sorry about any confusion! Anyway, glad that it worked for you! I always reset my windows whenever something strange goes on and seems like windows may somehow be involved.

Anyway, for reference, the below writing is how I got around the superscript / subscript problem that I posted in another topic. Refer to it if you like for any of those issues.

------------------------

Aww, Thank you very much. I am glad it was able to save you time. I hope SDL can fix this issue soon.

One thing I did on a recent project was -- in the source document to go into trados -- put "$" signs right after characters that were supposed to be in superscript and "@" signs right after those to be subscript. Then when I generated the final file in Word I did the following search & replace actions using wildcards:

Find [A-z]$ Replace with superscript formatting
Find [0-9]$ Replace with superscript formatting
Find $ Replace with nothing

and then

Find [A-z]\@ Replace with subscript formatting
Find [0-9]\@ Replace with subscript formatting
Find \@ Replace with nothing

And I am pretty sure this changed all of the subscripts and superscripts that I needed to have by just using a few steps. Still, it sucks that we cant just do it normally in SDL, which promises this feature in its 1,300 dollar product.

[Edited at 2011-06-02 21:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-02 21:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-02 21:08 GMT]
Collapse

Mihoko Satou
Mihoko Satou  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Japanese to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 12, 2013

Mr.Scott, Thank you for your post, solved my problem too!

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:41
German to Greek
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 20, 2015

I had the same problem today... Thank you, Scott!

Why do error messages have to be so cryptic?
Wouldn't it be easy to describe the problem in a phrase comprehensible for normal users, who may be out of context (when getting a message after confirming a segment, I do not necessarily think of the window layout) and offer some solution suggestions too?
E.g. under "SelectedTab Cannot be Set Before the Pane Has Been Added to a Panes Collection", add "This is a problem with th
... See more
I had the same problem today... Thank you, Scott!

Why do error messages have to be so cryptic?
Wouldn't it be easy to describe the problem in a phrase comprehensible for normal users, who may be out of context (when getting a message after confirming a segment, I do not necessarily think of the window layout) and offer some solution suggestions too?
E.g. under "SelectedTab Cannot be Set Before the Pane Has Been Added to a Panes Collection", add "This is a problem with the window layout. To solve it, you can "Reset window Layout"."
Collapse

Dana Elencu

njbeckett
njbeckett  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Typical Trados Jun 25, 2015

A typical gobbledygook trados message that nobody understands. Like the one about the lost child. Why anybody pays money for this rubbish is beyond me.

Barbara Schiefer
Barbara Schiefer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:41
German to English
+ ...
Another thank you! Oct 12, 2015

Ever so grateful, Scott. Have been struggling with this all day. Thanks for sharing!

Agnese Ruska
Agnese Ruska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 26, 2015

Many thanks for this solution! It helped me too!

Nikki Kopelman
Nikki Kopelman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Thanks! Jan 15, 2016

Just another thank you here, provided a quick fix to what would otherwise have been a really annoying problem!

farpung
farpung
Local time: 15:41
Cryptic error messages, and thanks Mar 11, 2016

I think the cryptic nature of the error messages is deliberate and cunning. The cryptic messages are designed to enable them to help you if you have paid them for a support contract... and to be unintelligible to users so that you can't fix problems by yourself and will be motivated to pay them for a support contract. They should try applying Googles motto "Don't be evil"!

BTW, thanks for the tip about resettting the window layout. Worked perfectly for me.

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
Reset Window Layout helped in Studio 2014 Mar 28, 2016

Reset Window Layout helped in Studio 2014
Thanks!

Isabel Wild
Isabel Wild  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Many thanks! Oct 14, 2016

Many thanks for that post!! Also for me the "reset window layout" worked fine. Kind regards, Isabel

Thanks!! Oct 21, 2016

Hi Scott! I registered on this site only to thank you for your post! I hate these ininteligible error messages from Studio and your instruction solved my problem in seconds. Know that here in Brazil there is a translator who is very happy because of you!

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 02:11
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I think they should explain the reason and solution in the pop-up Jan 19, 2019

which will save a great deal of time, especially when it can be resolved by simply pressing a button.

[Edited at 2019-01-19 02:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-01-19 02:26 GMT]

CATHERINE GROSY

Susanna Miles
Susanna Miles  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
German to English
+ ...
Thank you - in 2019 Apr 2, 2019

still helping in 2019
I have no idea why this showed up all of a sudden this morning, but I am grateful for this great tip - worked like a charm.

CATHERINE GROSY

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: "SelectedTab Cannot be Set Before the Pane Has Been Added to a Panes Collection

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »