IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:56
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 2, 2011

I regularly receive files where most of the contents have been translated already. I would therefore like to spellcheck only the segments that I have translated. I have tried using filters, but filtering only hides the non-matching segments -- the spellcheck function still stops on the hidden segments. I would like to skip them completely. Is this at all possible?

Sayujya
Sayujya
India
German to English
Advanced filters + spellcheck settings Oct 14, 2020

Hello,

As a workaround, one option to run a spell-check for filtered segments would be to use Advanced Filters to filter out the segments translated from memories or matching documents (e.g. 100% matches, perfect matches, context matches, etc.) or use Filters under Review tab to filter already 'Translated' segments first thing after you receive the file, as applicable in your case. The next step would be to then lock these 'translated' segments.
After doing that, you can go to
... See more
Hello,

As a workaround, one option to run a spell-check for filtered segments would be to use Advanced Filters to filter out the segments translated from memories or matching documents (e.g. 100% matches, perfect matches, context matches, etc.) or use Filters under Review tab to filter already 'Translated' segments first thing after you receive the file, as applicable in your case. The next step would be to then lock these 'translated' segments.
After doing that, you can go to Options > Editor > Spelling and activate ‘Locked’ under ‘Ignore segment types’. By doing so the spell-check will only be executed for the segments that you wish to verify, i.e. the unlocked segments translated by you.

Product info : I use SDL Trados Studio 2019 on Windows operating system.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch

Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch
Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:56
German to Spanish
+ ...
What if some segments already blocked? Mar 23, 2022

Thank you for your solution. I understand that after spellchecking I could restore the unblocked status to the blocked segments.
However, sometimes I receive files where some segments are already blocked. If I block all already translated segments, then I can't unblock them without unblocking all segments, and maybe the client needs them to be blocked...

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
Use Word Mar 23, 2022

I would just filter for the segments you want to spellcheck, select all the text (go to the start of the first target segment and press Ctrl Shift End), paste to Word, then run a spellcheck.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:56
English to Russian
You can easily do it Mar 23, 2022

Henrik Hdez.-Villaescus Hirsch wrote:
sometimes I receive files where some segments are already blocked. If I block all already translated segments, then I can't unblock them without unblocking all segments...
I totally understand what you mean. And I definitely know that this problem can be easily solved with use of an app from RWS appstore. But I can't remember it's name unfortunately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellchecking with filters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »