How to import an excel glossary into an existing termbase?
Thread poster: Anne Besnier
Anne Besnier
Anne Besnier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:02
English to French
+ ...
May 18, 2015

Hello

I use SDL Trados Studio 2014. I can convert the excel glossary with multiterm converter.
I can see how this glossary can be imported in a newly created termbase: loading the termbase definition first (glossary.xdt), then importing the content glossary (glossary.mtf.xml). I tried it and it worked!

However, I don't know how to import an excel glossary into an existing termbase in multiterm. I don't have a termbase definition and when I import the content gloss
... See more
Hello

I use SDL Trados Studio 2014. I can convert the excel glossary with multiterm converter.
I can see how this glossary can be imported in a newly created termbase: loading the termbase definition first (glossary.xdt), then importing the content glossary (glossary.mtf.xml). I tried it and it worked!

However, I don't know how to import an excel glossary into an existing termbase in multiterm. I don't have a termbase definition and when I import the content glossary, no terms get imported! My problem is: where can I find this termbase definition (which I assume I need for succeeding in this task).

Many thanks for any tips
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Step by step guide May 18, 2015

A step by step guide on how to use Glossary Converter. Learn how to convert your glossaries into or from Excel, MultiTerm, .tbx, but also .tmx and other formats – all this in a few clicks.

English version https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/how-to-center/video-tutorials/glossary-converter-en/

French vers
... See more
A step by step guide on how to use Glossary Converter. Learn how to convert your glossaries into or from Excel, MultiTerm, .tbx, but also .tmx and other formats – all this in a few clicks.

English version https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/how-to-center/video-tutorials/glossary-converter-en/

French version https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/how-to-center/video-tutorials/glossary-converter-fr/
Collapse

Anne Besnier
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful but what about adding terms to existing termbase? May 18, 2015

I would like to thank you very much for your answer. The glossary converter is indeed very useful. But I still cannot see how I could convert and import the results in an existing termbase in Multiterm.

I may also have confused you slightly: I am using SDL Multiterm Convert

Everything I can read about is usually about newly created termbases in Multiterm. But what about adding extra terms from an excel glossary into an existing termbase?

I hope it makes sen
... See more
I would like to thank you very much for your answer. The glossary converter is indeed very useful. But I still cannot see how I could convert and import the results in an existing termbase in Multiterm.

I may also have confused you slightly: I am using SDL Multiterm Convert

Everything I can read about is usually about newly created termbases in Multiterm. But what about adding extra terms from an excel glossary into an existing termbase?

I hope it makes sense. Many thanks for you help
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I am not the expert May 18, 2015

Sorry Anne, I am not the expert. Our expert on this is Delphine Guérou, who unfortunately is not in today.

My approach (while Delphine is not here) would be very simple and pragmatic.

1) process the existing Multiterm termbase into an Excel file (E1) using Glossary converter
2) copy/paste the new terms from my Excel file that contains the new terms into my E1 file
3) produce a new Multiterm termbase from the resulting Excel file that now contains all terms
... See more
Sorry Anne, I am not the expert. Our expert on this is Delphine Guérou, who unfortunately is not in today.

My approach (while Delphine is not here) would be very simple and pragmatic.

1) process the existing Multiterm termbase into an Excel file (E1) using Glossary converter
2) copy/paste the new terms from my Excel file that contains the new terms into my E1 file
3) produce a new Multiterm termbase from the resulting Excel file that now contains all terms

I know it sounds primitive, and it might be primitive and some colleagues will hopefully describe a much better workflow - but this is how I would handle it - or I might decide to wait and ask Delphine when she is back.
Collapse

Anne Besnier
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 18, 2015

Thank you very much again Siegfried. I think your answer makes sense: I was thinking exactly the same as I was having a hot chocolate in the kitchen
If Delphine could confirm or complement that answer, that would be brilliant!
Have a nice day

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 22:02
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
MultiTerm Import into ... May 18, 2015

Hi Anne,

I guess the MultiTerm Import into ... feature might come in handy here. The second thought.

[Edited at 2015-05-18 16:11 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
For a simple glossary... May 18, 2015

... just source and target terms then the approach from Siegfried is probablay the easiest. But you could also do this as long as the definitiion os the same for both termbases:

- use the glossary converter to go from your new Excel directly to MT XML and XDT
- Import the MT XML straight into the existing termbase

Pretty straightforward, just change the setting in the converter to give you the MT definition file directly from the excel spreadsheet.

R
... See more
... just source and target terms then the approach from Siegfried is probablay the easiest. But you could also do this as long as the definitiion os the same for both termbases:

- use the glossary converter to go from your new Excel directly to MT XML and XDT
- Import the MT XML straight into the existing termbase

Pretty straightforward, just change the setting in the converter to give you the MT definition file directly from the excel spreadsheet.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

bmclaughlin3 (X)
bmclaughlin3 (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Worked for me! Nov 2, 2015

Just did the same workaround proposed and it worked fine for me. I even purged duplicates from the previous version of the termbase. Many thanks!

Elisa Farina
Elisa Farina  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Italian
+ ...
Useful PDF that guides you step by step Mar 14, 2018

Three years after the first entry of this string was posted I found myself facing the same issue. I bumoped into this PDF by Jayne Fox, followed the instructions and managed to carry out the task succ... See more
Three years after the first entry of this string was posted I found myself facing the same issue. I bumoped into this PDF by Jayne Fox, followed the instructions and managed to carry out the task successfully:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/How-to-import-a-bilingual-Excel-glossary-into-MultiTerm-v3.pdf
(link to the page were I found it: http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-import-a-bilingual-excel-glossary-into-multiterm-for-use-in-trados-studio/)

Two important notes:
1) I work with SDL MultiTerm 2015 and the process is the same.
2) The PDF is about importing the glossary in a new and empty termbase, but the process worked just as well with an existing and not at all empty termbase.
Collapse

Sam Abramov
Sam Abramov
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados 2017 import issue Apr 29, 2019

I've tried following this guide (and many others), but i just get various errors - the best i can get is "External component has thrown an exception".

Has anyone got any advice for me?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import an excel glossary into an existing termbase?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »