Thread poster: Sebastian Jagr
Sebastian Jagr
Sebastian Jagr  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:50
English to Czech
May 26, 2015

Hello,

I translated a couple of txt files from English into Czech in Trados 2014 and everything went fine. Alas, after generating target files I realised they were encoded in ANSI, which made the files useless. I cannot find where to set different encoding for txt files in Trados. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:50
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Studio uses the same encoding as the source text file May 26, 2015

The best thing is to open the text file in a text editor like Notepad++ and save it with a UTF-8 encoding before importing it into Studio.

You can still do that: convert all the source files to Unicode, and then use the TM from the current project to translate them in Studio.

Alternatively, some text editors allow you to convert to Unicode after the fact, thus maybe salvaging some of the content, but this usual
... See more
The best thing is to open the text file in a text editor like Notepad++ and save it with a UTF-8 encoding before importing it into Studio.

You can still do that: convert all the source files to Unicode, and then use the TM from the current project to translate them in Studio.

Alternatively, some text editors allow you to convert to Unicode after the fact, thus maybe salvaging some of the content, but this usually doesn't work very well (or at all).
Collapse

Sebastian Jagr
Sebastian Jagr  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:50
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 26, 2015

Next time I'll make sure to change the files before uploading them into Trados.
Thank you!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Finnish to French
Alternative way May 26, 2015

Sebastian Jagr wrote:
Next time I'll make sure to change the files before uploading them into Trados.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty with encoding issues, you can also copy/paste the content of your text file into a Word document and save it as DOCX. Import the DOCX, translate and export: guaranteed to have no encoding issues. If you really need a text file as output, you can just copy/paste the content of the document into Notepad (no need for any fancier editor).

Achille Doungméné
Achille Doungméné  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 21:50
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
Translating TXT English file into French, just save it with Unicode (UTF-8) Oct 31, 2020

The easiest way when translating txt file from English to French, is just to translate your file in SDL Trados Studio 2021, and at the end save it as Unicode (UTF-8). Your TXT French file is then just perfect.

AmerikaOH
AmerikaOH
English to German
many files in project Jul 20, 2021

Achille Doungméné wrote:

The easiest way when translating txt file from English to French, is just to translate your file in SDL Trados Studio 2021, and at the end save it as Unicode (UTF-8). Your TXT French file is then just perfect.

Do you have any recommendations when you have many files in your project and for many languages? We have found this solution, too, but it is too cumbersome to do this for each file in the project.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

txt files saved with ANSI encoding

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »