Christian Esquivel
Christian Esquivel  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2015

Good morning,

I am running Trados Studio 2015 duly updated and have MS Office Word 2013 installed on my Windows 8.1 PC.

The MS Office Spell Checker is not working at all in Studio and HunSpell does not have my language variant Spanish (Colombia) available.

I know I could change something in the HunSpell dictionaries so that Spanish (Spain) or Spanish (Mexico) work as Spanish (Colombia); however I really don't like HunSpell checker at all and these variants
... See more
Good morning,

I am running Trados Studio 2015 duly updated and have MS Office Word 2013 installed on my Windows 8.1 PC.

The MS Office Spell Checker is not working at all in Studio and HunSpell does not have my language variant Spanish (Colombia) available.

I know I could change something in the HunSpell dictionaries so that Spanish (Spain) or Spanish (Mexico) work as Spanish (Colombia); however I really don't like HunSpell checker at all and these variants do not work for my projects.

If I try to add the MS Word Spell Checker I get the error message "Unable to select spell checker extension. Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine". This did not happen when I had MS Word 2010.

I'd really appreciate some help here.

Thanks!
Collapse

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No one has any suggestions? Sep 23, 2015

I'd really appreciate any help, especially form a SDL representative if any.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:57
English
The problem might be related... Sep 23, 2015

... to the installation of Office. I'm not sure, but if you have Office 365 installed, or you used the Click to run installer for Office 2013 instead of the MSI installer then it may be missing the features that make it possible to connect to Studio.

Workaround, if you don't want to install the MSI version, would be to export for external review and run the spell check in Word itself, then import back again.

Regards
... See more
... to the installation of Office. I'm not sure, but if you have Office 365 installed, or you used the Click to run installer for Office 2013 instead of the MSI installer then it may be missing the features that make it possible to connect to Studio.

Workaround, if you don't want to install the MSI version, would be to export for external review and run the spell check in Word itself, then import back again.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! I'll try re-installing Office Sep 23, 2015

Thank you Paul.

I'll try re-installing office over the weekend to see if this solves the issue and will post again to update.

Thanks again!

Steve Erpelding
Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
French to German
+ ...
Spell checker issue Oct 21, 2015

Hi,

in my case (Trados 2015 and Office 2016), I can chose the Word spell checker, but it doesn't work. It detects errors, but when doing a right click, I'm getting the error message: failed to get suggestions.

Is this a known issue?

regards,

Steve

jensskarpe
jensskarpe  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Not only a Studio problem Oct 21, 2015

Hi,

I have the same problem, but not only with Studio. No program can find the dictionary files when using 365. I have this problem with NTR2, Trados, Lionbridge Tool Box, TagEditro, Translation Workspace, TM Tool etc.

I will try to see if I can use the suggested solution with installing the suite another way.

I am suprised there are not more people having this problem. But it may be that very few are using the latest versions since transaltion software in
... See more
Hi,

I have the same problem, but not only with Studio. No program can find the dictionary files when using 365. I have this problem with NTR2, Trados, Lionbridge Tool Box, TagEditro, Translation Workspace, TM Tool etc.

I will try to see if I can use the suggested solution with installing the suite another way.

I am suprised there are not more people having this problem. But it may be that very few are using the latest versions since transaltion software in general are very slow on updating compatabilities
Collapse

Steve Erpelding
Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
French to German
+ ...
any update? Oct 27, 2015

Hi,

did anyone find a solution for this issue or is SDL still working on it?

kind regards

Steve

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible solution for error: Unable to detect if MS Word is installed ... Apr 22, 2016

After spending long hours working on a solution and failing miserably, I finally had to submit a support ticket and even after receiving possible solutions explained step-by-step and implementing them, it was not possible to solve the error.

So I had a remote session with SDL Support and after Catalin from tech support did everything she could think of: reinstalling, repairing installs, downloading net framework, changing configurations, and so on, it turned out to be something quit
... See more
After spending long hours working on a solution and failing miserably, I finally had to submit a support ticket and even after receiving possible solutions explained step-by-step and implementing them, it was not possible to solve the error.

So I had a remote session with SDL Support and after Catalin from tech support did everything she could think of: reinstalling, repairing installs, downloading net framework, changing configurations, and so on, it turned out to be something quite simple.

SDL Trados Studio has to be run as an administrator for app integration to work correctly (such as using the MS Word Spell Checker) so just go to the SDL Trados Studio executable file in the SDL Folder and:

1. Right click on the file (SDL Trados Studio Logo/Executable)
2. Click on Properties
3. Click on the Compatibility Tab.
4. Make sure you check the box "Always run this program as admnistrator".
5. Click Apply.
6. Close the Properties Window.
7. Open SDL Trados Studio.
8. Click on File.
9. Click on Options.
10. Click on Editor.
11. Click on Spelling.
12. Use the Drop Down Menu under Active Spell Checker on the right panel.
13. Select MS Word Spell Checker.

And this worked for me (I run Studio 2015 on a Windows 10 OS) and also for a colleague who has Studio 2014 (he has not upgraded yet).

I hope this helps some people out there with this problem.
Collapse

Arvind Raman
Arvind Raman
Singapore
German to English
+ ...
Not working with Office 365 Dec 29, 2016

Hi, I tried the solution provided by you, but it is not working for Office 365. Can anybody help with this?
Regards

Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:57
English to Finnish
+ ...
workaround worked for me Oct 24, 2017

Thanks, Christian, the workaround you mentioned above worked for me. Once I opened the Properties, I also realized that at some point the Compatibility selection was dimmed for some reason, so also selecting the correct Windows compatibility option likely helped in my case.

I probably had not set it up at all when installed Trados 2015, so that is also a good setting to verify if have problems. Oh, and mine was Win7, so at least that was selectable from the list.
Thanks for wr
... See more
Thanks, Christian, the workaround you mentioned above worked for me. Once I opened the Properties, I also realized that at some point the Compatibility selection was dimmed for some reason, so also selecting the correct Windows compatibility option likely helped in my case.

I probably had not set it up at all when installed Trados 2015, so that is also a good setting to verify if have problems. Oh, and mine was Win7, so at least that was selectable from the list.
Thanks for writing out the workaround!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2015 - MS Word 2013 Spell Checker Error

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »