Tim Ganassi
Spain
Local time: 19:01
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 15, 2016

Hello,

I'm translating an IDML project (a book segmented in several files) in Trados for the first time.
At the beginning of each file, there are segments that don't seem to match to any visible content as far as I can see when I open the IDML file in Illustrator or when I look at the physical book or PDF scan. Should these segments be translated or are they some kind of embedded information? I'm a little confused...

Capture

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
IDML files are InDesign interchange files Nov 15, 2016

…not Illustrator files. IDML files compile the document's structure differently; that's why you don't see the cover page or the table of contents at the top (or beginning) of the document in SDL Trados.

Did your client gave you information about the Adobe program and version this IDML file was exported from?
Are you required to typeset the IDML document after the translation?

Regards,

Mario

Tim Ganassi
Tim Ganassi
Spain
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
InDesign Nov 15, 2016

Thanks for your reply, Mario. I'm sorry, yes, I actually meant InDesign, not Illustrator.

The client has his own graphic designer who will reimport the IDML in InDesign with all the images etc. But the graphic designer doesn't know anything about Trados, and I don't know anything about InDesign. Basically, I just want to know if I should translate the few "translatable" words within these segments or leave them as they are. In the screenshot I attached, words such as "on page", for
... See more
Thanks for your reply, Mario. I'm sorry, yes, I actually meant InDesign, not Illustrator.

The client has his own graphic designer who will reimport the IDML in InDesign with all the images etc. But the graphic designer doesn't know anything about Trados, and I don't know anything about InDesign. Basically, I just want to know if I should translate the few "translatable" words within these segments or leave them as they are. In the screenshot I attached, words such as "on page", for example, look like code.

The far right column next to these segments indicates "XRF+".
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you have the PDF file? Nov 15, 2016

Tim Ganassi wrote:

The client has his own graphic designer who will reimport the IDML in InDesign with all the images etc. But the graphic designer doesn't know anything about Trados, and I don't know anything about InDesign. Basically, I just want to know if I should translate the few "translatable" words within these segments or leave them as they are. In the screenshot I attached, words such as "on page", for example, look like code.

The far right column next to these segments indicates "XRF+".

The text on page is translatable text, but the only way to be sure is to have the PDF file to use as a guide. If your client hasn't provided you with the PDF file, kindly request it, as you will need it to make these determinations (what is DTP code and what is text).

Good luck.

Mario

Tim Ganassi
Tim Ganassi
Spain
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paper book Nov 15, 2016

Thanks Mario!
I don't have any pdf version but I actually have the paper version of the book and the words "on page" don't show up anywhere, that's why I was surprised in first place. I'm guessing that "on page" is indeed part of the DTP code then.

Thanks,
Tim

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Look at the document structure in Studio Nov 15, 2016

You should be able to leave anything that has XRF+ (cross reference formats) as the document structure, on the far right of your segment, as it doesn't affect visible text.

2016-11-15_070254

In fact, if you go to the IDML file type settings, you can uncheck the box next to Extract cross reference formats and these segments will not be extracted by Studio.

2016-11-15_070506

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice tip Nov 15, 2016

Thanks, Nora. As I don't use SDL Trados to work on my IDML files, it's good to know how to do without the crossreferences. Something useful for project managers as well.

I don't get to see those [code] on page [code] since a) I work with InDesign documents on InDesign but I translate the IDML files (which I create) in Déjà Vu X3 instead.

Tim Ganassi
Tim Ganassi
Spain
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Look at the document structure in Studio Nov 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your insight Nora!
Best,
Tim

carmialt164a
carmialt164a
English to Spanish
Document Structure - how to add InDesign styles in Trados Style Nov 16, 2017

I just started translating IDML files and there are tags separating every word. Seems like it happens when the style is not "No paragraph style"

the tags are < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">

So instead of being San Francisco
I get < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">Sa < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">n < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true"> F< cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">ra ...

Thank you in advance

... See more
I just started translating IDML files and there are tags separating every word. Seems like it happens when the style is not "No paragraph style"

the tags are < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">

So instead of being San Francisco
I get < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">Sa < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">n < cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true"> F< cf size="7" bold="true"nfa="true">ra ...

Thank you in advance

[Edited at 2017-11-16 21:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-16 21:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-16 21:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-16 21:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-16 21:52 GMT]
Collapse

MARIO LOZANO GARCIA
MARIO LOZANO GARCIA  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
how to export an idml translated file in Trados once I finished? Mar 19, 2018

Hi there!

I've just finished translating a idml file but I don't know how to export it again once this is finished. I thought that it was included in the return package but it isn't. I tried to save as but this option is off...

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Mario

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Did you receive the idm file from the customer, or a Studio package? Mar 19, 2018

MLGcia wrote:
I've just finished translating a idml file but I don't know how to export it again once this is finished. I thought that it was included in the return package but it isn't. I tried to save as but this option is off...
Mario

As I understand it, the return package includes the sdlxliff files in the project, not the translated source files. So you should be OK if you create a return package and send the package off. Then the customer will export the translated idm file when they have received the package from you.

Roy

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The segments would normally be text in links to tables or figures in the file Mar 19, 2018

Tim Ganassi wrote:
I'm translating an IDML project (a book segmented in several files) in Trados for the first time.
At the beginning of each file, there are segments that don't seem to match to any visible content as far as I can see when I open the IDML file in Illustrator or when I look at the physical book or PDF scan. Should these segments be translated or are they some kind of embedded information? I'm a little confused...

In the project itself you would normally see these hyperlinks as tags. But you should translate them the normal way.

One problem is, of course, if the segment says something like
Figure .
Then it would be somewhat unclear is you should use upper case or lower case in "Figure". My experience seems to indicate that you should use lower case if your language demands that in such segments as
See , where "Figure" comes from the earlier segment at the top.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating an IDML file in Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »