Thread poster: Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:16
French to English
Apr 20, 2018

Good afternoon

I use SDL Trados Studio 2017 and recently switched from the SDL MT to Deepl.
I successfully linked SDL with deepl in my project settings. However, I get different results in the program than when I use the online tool. The results are not as good in the program. Here is a simple French to English example:-

Source: -
En vous remerciant par avance pour votre implication dans cette démarche,
Bien cordialement,

Translation in
... See more
Good afternoon

I use SDL Trados Studio 2017 and recently switched from the SDL MT to Deepl.
I successfully linked SDL with deepl in my project settings. However, I get different results in the program than when I use the online tool. The results are not as good in the program. Here is a simple French to English example:-

Source: -
En vous remerciant par avance pour votre implication dans cette démarche,
Bien cordialement,

Translation in SDL using deepl:-
By thanking you in advance for your involvement in this process, Sincerely,

Translation using Deepl online app:-
Thank you in advance for your involvement in this process,
Sincerely,

Some of the results I get are in the source language.

Below is a screenshot of my project settings and the result in Trados

Project settings

Result in Trados

I contacted deepl about this and they replied:-

"We have tested this matter on our end, and we receive the same translation results as in our web interface. The DeepL plugin in SDL Trados Studio communicates with the DeepL API, which gives the same results as the web-based translator. ..... Have you checked whether any other MT engines are active in SDL Trados Studio for you? It could be that another MT engine has translated the segment for you by accident. As we cannot reproduce the issue on our side both in SDL Trados Studio and directly in our API, we suspect there is a problem in your configuration of SDL Trados Studio.

Should the issue persist, we can recommend you contact SDL directly or post the matter on the SDL Community....... SDL develops the DeepL plugin, and has more in-depth knowledge of any configuration that may cause problems inside SDL Trados Studio."

I can't see any other MT engines active in SDL Trados although I only know to look in the project settings. Is there a chance that there is one somewhere in the background that I can't see?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Louise
Collapse

Simon Willmott
Simon Willmott  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Line break Apr 20, 2018

You get the first translation in the DeepL web interface if you delete the line break after "démarche,".

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 20, 2018

Thank you, Simon.
It is odd that the line break is not recognised in SDL. I will return to Deepl and make further enquiries.

Best wishes
Louise

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It looks like some work is needed on this interface. Apr 24, 2018

I tried a double line break and had the same problem. Maybe SDL will fix it. There is a list of other features that do not work yet in this interface - that is a shame.

Here is the response I received from Deepl about the issues that I have with the MT.
"
1. It appears that line breaks are not encoded at all when SDL Trados Studio sends them to our API through the DeepL plugin. This is a problem. You can send SDL the screenshot with the double line breaks and show them t
... See more
I tried a double line break and had the same problem. Maybe SDL will fix it. There is a list of other features that do not work yet in this interface - that is a shame.

Here is the response I received from Deepl about the issues that I have with the MT.
"
1. It appears that line breaks are not encoded at all when SDL Trados Studio sends them to our API through the DeepL plugin. This is a problem. You can send SDL the screenshot with the double line breaks and show them that the line breaks are not carried over into the translation. This should allow them to fix the issue in the DeepL plugin. (I have sent this via the forum).

2. Regarding the text that is sometimes not translated: SDL does not appear to set the source language specifically in the DeepL plugin even though you have in your project settings. This may cause French (source) sentences that have English words in them to suddenly be recognised as English, which causes the text to remain untranslated in the end. This is an issue that we have let SDL know about already, and we hope that they will fix this soon.

3. Regarding the two lines in bold you sent us that have not been translated: There is a problem in the DeepL plugin where capitalised sentences are not being translated. This is most likely caused again by no source language being set in SDL's API requests, and have communicated this to SDL. We hope they will fix it according to our instructions soon.

4. Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the issue where a word placed within hashtags does not appear in the translation at all. Given that we get results when we enter your source text (including the "##login##"), we assume this is another encoding problem within SDL Trados Studio.
"
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deepl MT different in SDL to the online app

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »