Local time: 12:33
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 22, 2018

Dear SDL Team,

I have received the following email from SDL ID Team:

"Blocked Access Attempt
We detected suspicious activity from the IP address: 128.242.115.81 from San Jose, United States.
If that is your IP address click here to unblock it. Otherwise disregard this email.
Please note, your SDL ID is not blocked, only access to it from the IP address above.
Thanks
The SDL ID team"

I am in Portugal, and this is a very strange
... See more
Dear SDL Team,

I have received the following email from SDL ID Team:

"Blocked Access Attempt
We detected suspicious activity from the IP address: 128.242.115.81 from San Jose, United States.
If that is your IP address click here to unblock it. Otherwise disregard this email.
Please note, your SDL ID is not blocked, only access to it from the IP address above.
Thanks
The SDL ID team"

I am in Portugal, and this is a very strange situation. I have never experienced this issue before.

I am hoping that you can solve the problem, or find any answers for it.

Did anyone in the community receive the same email?

Many thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Sandra Flor

[Edited at 2018-04-22 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Vargas
Lucia Vargas  Identity Verified
Tunisia
Local time: 13:33
English to Spanish
Received a Blocked access attempt email too Apr 22, 2018

Hi Sandra Flor, SDL Team,

This is most strange, I hope the SDL team can explain to us what might this mean, if the safety of our SDL account or otherwise is in any way compromised. I just got that same email indicating the IP address from "San Jose USA", I googgled it and got here, to your message, Sandra.

I guess many people will be receiving it as well...

Best regards, and I hope we learn soon about this.

Lucia Vargas

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
SDL related ip address? Apr 22, 2018

It seems this ip address is actually connected to SDL:

http://www.sdl.com.htmlserialize.co

(SPF) This registry type is used to block spam messages, to address mail servers that are allowed to send mail on that domain. A TXT-based record type
type TXT

txt v=spf1 include:mktomail.com include:mailcontrol.com include:_spf.salesforce.com ip4:80.74.8.38 ip
... See more
It seems this ip address is actually connected to SDL:

http://www.sdl.com.htmlserialize.co

(SPF) This registry type is used to block spam messages, to address mail servers that are allowed to send mail on that domain. A TXT-based record type
type TXT

txt v=spf1 include:mktomail.com include:mailcontrol.com include:_spf.salesforce.com ip4:80.74.8.38 ip4:198.107.132.38 ip4:128.242.115.81 ip4:178.23.156.109 ip4:67.231.149.52 ip4:67.231.157.48 ip4:134.170.200.0/21 include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all

entries [ "v=spf1 include:mktomail.com include:mailcontrol.com include:_spf.salesforce.com ip4:80.74.8.38 ip4:198.107.132.38 ip4:128.242.115.81 ip4:178.23.156.109 ip4:67.231.149.52 ip4:67.231.157.48 ip4:134.170.200.0/21 include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all" ]

http://samesites.org/www/sdl.com

Basicly, DNS (Domain Name System) is a system that converts human-readable website names into computer-readable numeric IP addresses. Example, A record indicates you which ip address will resolve when you access to sdl.com on the browser.

Host: sdl.com.
Type: TXT
TTL: 59
Class: IN
Other: "v=spf1 include:mktomail.com include:mailcontrol.com include:_spf.salesforce.com ip4:80.74.8.38 ip4:198.107.132.38 ip4:128.242.115.81 ip4:178.23.156.109 ip4:67.231.149.52 ip4:67.231.157.48 ip4:134.170.200.0/21 include:spf.protection.outlook.com " "include:servers.mcsv.net ~all"

It's better to ask SDL itself.... but as I saw you already did. So hope it will be revealed and fixed soon.

[Edited at 2018-04-22 16:38 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We shall have to wait Apr 22, 2018

I'm not sure if it's related.
We shall have to wait, but I'm confident SDL Team will fix it, and come back to us with an answer soon.

[Edited at 2018-04-22 17:49 GMT]

Marc Svetov
Marc Svetov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
Member (2007)
German to English
Got the same e-mail from SDL now four times today Apr 22, 2018

I also got this strange e-mail. Don't know what to make of it. SDL should figure this out and let us know what is happening here.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Blocked access attempt Apr 23, 2018

Dear all,

Over the weekend many users have received a message warning them about suspicious activity on their account. We’d like to apologise for this and explain why this occurred. SDL is investing in best of breed security solutions to keep user credentials safe, and to help prevent unauthorised access to user information. SDL Language Cloud, which is used by many of our users in SDL Trados Studio, caused our brute force protection to be triggered because of the volume of req
... See more
Dear all,

Over the weekend many users have received a message warning them about suspicious activity on their account. We’d like to apologise for this and explain why this occurred. SDL is investing in best of breed security solutions to keep user credentials safe, and to help prevent unauthorised access to user information. SDL Language Cloud, which is used by many of our users in SDL Trados Studio, caused our brute force protection to be triggered because of the volume of requests originating from a single location when users logged in through Studio.

Whilst this has obviously been a cause for concern it has proven its effectiveness as it even blocked our own Language Cloud solution. The SDL Language Cloud team have worked with our security teams today to ensure this problem has been resolved.

If you encounter any more problems of this nature please report it through your support account, or via the SDL Community ( http://xl8.one ) so we can address it quickly.

Regards

Paul Filkin
SDL Community
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We can put our minds at rest Apr 23, 2018

SDL Community wrote:

Dear all,

Over the weekend many users have received a message warning them about suspicious activity on their account. We’d like to apologise for this and explain why this occurred. SDL is investing in best of breed security solutions to keep user credentials safe, and to help prevent unauthorised access to user information. SDL Language Cloud, which is used by many of our users in SDL Trados Studio, caused our brute force protection to be triggered because of the volume of requests originating from a single location when users logged in through Studio.

Whilst this has obviously been a cause for concern it has proven its effectiveness as it even blocked our own Language Cloud solution. The SDL Language Cloud team have worked with our security teams today to ensure this problem has been resolved.

If you encounter any more problems of this nature please report it through your support account, or via the SDL Community ( http://xl8.one ) so we can address it quickly.

Regards

Paul Filkin
SDL Community

Thank you for explaining to us what happened, Paul.

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
your "protection" is still bothering many users Apr 24, 2018

SDL Community wrote:

Dear all,

Regards

Paul Filkin
SDL Community

I keep receiving many "message warnings" all day. Can you put an end to that, please?

Nelly Keavney
Nelly Keavney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Thank you to the SDL Community Apr 24, 2018

Thank you Paul and all at SDL to explaining what is happening!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Unblocked account Apr 24, 2018

Marco Oberto wrote:
I keep receiving many "message warnings" all day. Can you put an end to that, please?

Hello Marco,

Thank you for reporting this. It seems that some users, not all, are still having this problem and their account is still blocked. We have unblocked your account and are working on a script to identify any others and clear them as well.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Paul
SDL Community

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure if it's related with this matter... Apr 25, 2018

but I am receiving strange warnings from Trados Studio, since the day I got the SDL email message.
It cannot find TMs, generate report files, add TMs to new and/or existent projects.
I can only "fix" those by restarting the machine.
I hope everyone can work again with Studio without these annoying troubles.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blocked Access Atempt

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »