Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:29
French to English
+ ...
Same activation number Feb 14, 2019

Hi Maria,
The 2017 and 2019 versions have the same activation number.
IOW, you can install the 2019 version using the same activation number that appears in your account. As long as you don't return the license number for the 2017 version, you can run both versions on the same computer at the same time. This is a good thing, because if the 2019 has a major failure or problem, you can use the other version to finish the job.
You don't have to work in demo mode.

HT
... See more
Hi Maria,
The 2017 and 2019 versions have the same activation number.
IOW, you can install the 2019 version using the same activation number that appears in your account. As long as you don't return the license number for the 2017 version, you can run both versions on the same computer at the same time. This is a good thing, because if the 2019 has a major failure or problem, you can use the other version to finish the job.
You don't have to work in demo mode.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:29
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Any color-coding in the project list available?? Like red (del. today) orange (del. tomorrow) Mar 6, 2019

Actually, a minor thingie you'd say, but when you have a relative long list of open projects with a farther deadline, smaller projects with earlier deadline get buried... and quick actions with deadline in the morning the next day tend to be forgotten (well, this is what has just happened to me, second time in many years, quickly solved with a short delay, but...

I haven't installed 2019 yet, is this little, but practical step included?

I miss that in 2017 (or is it ava
... See more
Actually, a minor thingie you'd say, but when you have a relative long list of open projects with a farther deadline, smaller projects with earlier deadline get buried... and quick actions with deadline in the morning the next day tend to be forgotten (well, this is what has just happened to me, second time in many years, quickly solved with a short delay, but...

I haven't installed 2019 yet, is this little, but practical step included?

I miss that in 2017 (or is it available and I have missed a whole lot?? If so sorry, please point me to the right direction)

Thanks

Giuliana
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:29
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Giuliana :-) Mar 6, 2019

You can use the "sort by date" option, as well as the schedule function with the calendar (both are in the Project View).

HTH,
Natalia

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
yes, that.. not enough (step 1) Mar 6, 2019

Hi Nat!!

yes, I do sort them according to delivery date, but there is no "quick glance" with no different colors.

... the second means what exactly? I am shown a big popup "hey, time to deliver" or something?

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You see a kind of calendar Mar 6, 2019

If you are used to create projects with the deadline indicated you just need to turn the option ON and check if it is useful for you.

I don't use this option as I have a completely different workflow: I have projects created for all my usual clients and only add there new files when i receive them. This way you save lots of time for creating projects, adding/creating memories, glossaries etc.

What about the schedule: I use the calendar in Thunderbird (it has tons of us
... See more
If you are used to create projects with the deadline indicated you just need to turn the option ON and check if it is useful for you.

I don't use this option as I have a completely different workflow: I have projects created for all my usual clients and only add there new files when i receive them. This way you save lots of time for creating projects, adding/creating memories, glossaries etc.

What about the schedule: I use the calendar in Thunderbird (it has tons of useful options - colors, notifications etc), as well as I keep at my desk an electronic Trust notepad (this one: https://www.trust.com/en/product/22357-wizz-digital-writing-pad-with-8-5-lcd-screen ) (it has replaced a paper notepad since some time and very convenient, really!)
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Good workaround, thanks Mar 6, 2019

Hi again,
unfortunately, I cannot order them they way you do (too many different end clients for the same agencies), thogh the problem would stay. An in-tool solution would be appreciated, but your suggestions are really good, thank you!
Have a great day
Giuliana

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
In my project list Mar 6, 2019

the projects are sorted by name - i.e. by client's name, as all my project names are as follows:
[client name]_[project name]_[lang.pair]

Ami Tzubery
Ami Tzubery  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
as a new user of Trados, I must say that Trados 2019 is NOT user-friendly Mar 31, 2019

For such an expensive software one would expect a friendlier interface (how about bigger fonts and expandable menus? This seems like an eye-test).
Why do I still need plugins and external programs (Multiterm, Glossary converter) to use Studio properly (upload termbase ot TM)?
Why are some of the help videos so fuzzy you can hardly see what's displayed in them?
Why are some of the help menus not relevant to Trados 2019? For example: They tell you to look for "browse termbase"..
... See more
For such an expensive software one would expect a friendlier interface (how about bigger fonts and expandable menus? This seems like an eye-test).
Why do I still need plugins and external programs (Multiterm, Glossary converter) to use Studio properly (upload termbase ot TM)?
Why are some of the help videos so fuzzy you can hardly see what's displayed in them?
Why are some of the help menus not relevant to Trados 2019? For example: They tell you to look for "browse termbase"... right... no such thing.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Training Mar 31, 2019

Hi Ami,
You should really do some introductory training and learn the basics, without which the Help files are, indeed, meaningless:

Multiterm is a basic component of the sw. It is your terminology component: the terms will be automatically displayed whenever they are used in your your translation segment, etc.
Termbase is the name used in Multiterm for glossaries (your collection of terms).
You can change the font display in various ways, the easiest being by
... See more
Hi Ami,
You should really do some introductory training and learn the basics, without which the Help files are, indeed, meaningless:

Multiterm is a basic component of the sw. It is your terminology component: the terms will be automatically displayed whenever they are used in your your translation segment, etc.
Termbase is the name used in Multiterm for glossaries (your collection of terms).
You can change the font display in various ways, the easiest being by pressing the font display button in the View menu.

Yes, Trados requires some training, without which you will continue to be frustrated.
It also really pays to discover its more advanced functions, in addition to the basics.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
You can change the font display in various ways... Jul 25, 2019

Another way: File - Options - Editor - Font Adaptation will guide you to the same option. Users may select the smallest as well as the biggest sizes for the source and the target separately. I didn't go that far, just selected 22 in all four boxes as comfortable to my eyes (I work on a 22" monitor). This modification has no effect for the final (translated) text the that keeps the font size/s as in the original DOC, DOCX etc. format.

Nevertheless, I frequently come to the feeling th
... See more
Another way: File - Options - Editor - Font Adaptation will guide you to the same option. Users may select the smallest as well as the biggest sizes for the source and the target separately. I didn't go that far, just selected 22 in all four boxes as comfortable to my eyes (I work on a 22" monitor). This modification has no effect for the final (translated) text the that keeps the font size/s as in the original DOC, DOCX etc. format.

Nevertheless, I frequently come to the feeling that Trados Studio is more designer-friendly than user-friendly.
Collapse

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Font Adaptation - don't forget to turn off document formatting Oct 14, 2019

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

Nevertheless, I frequently come to the feeling that Trados Studio is more designer-friendly than user-friendly.

And if you want to change the font itself used to show source/target, make sure you have document formatting off in the other Editor settings.

That is: change the dropdown under Editor -> Formatting display style to "Show all tags but do not show formatting". This is obvious on reflection but the pages are not linked in any way so, although the Font Adaptation page says formatting on will stop it working, it does not tell you where or how to make this change.

I guess training may well cover it but the Help page for this settings page certainly does not.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:29
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados should go the way of MicroSoft Office Nov 7, 2019

Trados should change to a monthly or annual subscription model like Microsoft Office with periodic invisible updates, thus eliminating the need for massive updates and upgrades every year or two. This would enable corrections and bugs to be repaired in real time and also have the advantage that everyone would be using the same version.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 is here

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »