Jose Mota
Jose Mota  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:03
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 12, 2019

Hello everyone,
Till recently, I had been working happily with Trados Studio 2015 for quite a long time. However, by the end of last year some of my clients suggested they were going to update their system to the last version, so I decided to do the same a few weeks ago.
Since the update, I've noticed some problems with the application though. I experienced some crashes at first, but that doesn't seem to happen very often. One of the main problems for me, and what I understand the le
... See more
Hello everyone,
Till recently, I had been working happily with Trados Studio 2015 for quite a long time. However, by the end of last year some of my clients suggested they were going to update their system to the last version, so I decided to do the same a few weeks ago.
Since the update, I've noticed some problems with the application though. I experienced some crashes at first, but that doesn't seem to happen very often. One of the main problems for me, and what I understand the less, is the very slow performance when working with updated TMs. For example, I have updated a big technical TM (73k units, 97 kbs) and the updated file is more than twice as big (194 kbs). As using it make the access to the project settings very slow, I have decided to use the old version of this and other updated TMs. With these I don't notice any issue, so I don't see the point in updating them and I don't understand why their size grow so much.
The other problem is that the MS Grammar Checker plug-in doesn't work properly (it slows the system incredibly and the F8 check takes literally hours to complete), and I can't get Language Tool to work on my system either (the Java version won't start it), so I've lost that functionality. To sum up, till now the update from 2015 to 2019 has brought me only problems.
I wonder if someone else has experienced similar issues and know some workarounds or can suggest something.

Thank you and best wishes,

J.M.
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not this problem, but many others Apr 24, 2019

I haven't had this particular problem, but I'm having lots of other issues – Studio crashing several times a day, refusing to recognise terms in some segments and slow responses in termbase/TM when I change segment.

I've been working quite happily with 2017 for a couple of years and it's crashed maybe three times in that entire period, but this is driving me mad. I don't mind having spent the money on the upgrade because I'm sure it'll become stable at some point, but I do object
... See more
I haven't had this particular problem, but I'm having lots of other issues – Studio crashing several times a day, refusing to recognise terms in some segments and slow responses in termbase/TM when I change segment.

I've been working quite happily with 2017 for a couple of years and it's crashed maybe three times in that entire period, but this is driving me mad. I don't mind having spent the money on the upgrade because I'm sure it'll become stable at some point, but I do object to it taking me several times as long as it should to translate a file.

I'm wondering whether I can go back to 2017 for the time being, as this is just a pain, and I'm not seeing any particular benefit from the new version.
Collapse

Sabine Knorr

Attila Kalmár
Attila Kalmár  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Trados/MS Word MS Word Grammar Checker bug can be fixed easily Oct 1, 2019

MS Word Grammar Checker has been a frequent cause of freezes in several earlier versions of Studio. It is a bug causing a huge problem, which however can be fixed easily this way, and the plugin can be kept!

1. Close Trados Studio and MS Word (any versions)

2. Locate MS Word normal.dot(m) template here: C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

3. Change its name to normal.bak

4. Restart Word, then close it.

5. Restar
... See more
MS Word Grammar Checker has been a frequent cause of freezes in several earlier versions of Studio. It is a bug causing a huge problem, which however can be fixed easily this way, and the plugin can be kept!

1. Close Trados Studio and MS Word (any versions)

2. Locate MS Word normal.dot(m) template here: C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

3. Change its name to normal.bak

4. Restart Word, then close it.

5. Restart Trados Studio and most probably MS Grammar Checker will not be an issue, so that Studio will not freeze after Confirming a translation entry. (In case only MS Grammar Checker caused the problem.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Trados Studio 2019

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »