Thread poster: László Domoszlai
László Domoszlai
László Domoszlai
Hungary
Local time: 01:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 26, 2019

This may sound as a stupid question, but I very rarely use Trados.

So I have Trados Studio 2011. I started to translate a document, then I had to restart my PC because of a Windows update.
I used File > Save as... to save my progress in a custom folder. After restart, I opened the saved file, and it was completely empty, like I haven't even started working on it. I also screwed up because I forgot to check the "Update" column for the TM in the Project settings, so my previous
... See more
This may sound as a stupid question, but I very rarely use Trados.

So I have Trados Studio 2011. I started to translate a document, then I had to restart my PC because of a Windows update.
I used File > Save as... to save my progress in a custom folder. After restart, I opened the saved file, and it was completely empty, like I haven't even started working on it. I also screwed up because I forgot to check the "Update" column for the TM in the Project settings, so my previous translations weren't saved, and I had to start the translation again from scratch.
What's the point of Save as... if it doesn't save my progress?
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:46
French to English
+ ...
Well... Oct 27, 2019

Hi László,
You may be aware that in most programs, in order to save a file you press "Ctrl+S". Same here.
In Trados "Save As" exports the file in target format to the folder of your choice.

In addition, Trados has an automatic Save command, which usually kicks in every 10 minutes or so by default (unless you changed it, which you probably didn't). This will prompt the user to open the Autosaved file if it is more recent than the file one is trying to open. In many case
... See more
Hi László,
You may be aware that in most programs, in order to save a file you press "Ctrl+S". Same here.
In Trados "Save As" exports the file in target format to the folder of your choice.

In addition, Trados has an automatic Save command, which usually kicks in every 10 minutes or so by default (unless you changed it, which you probably didn't). This will prompt the user to open the Autosaved file if it is more recent than the file one is trying to open. In many cases, such as a Trados crash, this feature can be a lifesaver.

HTH,
Best regards,
Sandra
Collapse

László Domoszlai
László Domoszlai
Hungary
Local time: 01:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know Oct 27, 2019

That's why I don't understand why it happened that there was nothing in the saved file when I opened it again. I translated at least a 1000 words before I saved, and it all gone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 "Save as..." usage

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »