How to import Memo-Q translations into a TM in Studio.
Thread poster: Jonathan Haerinck
Jan 3, 2020

We recently started collaborating with an external translation agency that uses Memo Q. I thought Memo Q and Studio were compatible. However, they sent me a translation as an mqxlz-file. As I do for other agencies using Studio, I tried to add the file via the Import function after selecting the appropriate TM. However, my PC didn't recognize the file. I then asked to send me a real xliff file. They sent me a file with the long 'mqxliff.xlf.mqliff' extension. I again tried to import via the Impor... See more
We recently started collaborating with an external translation agency that uses Memo Q. I thought Memo Q and Studio were compatible. However, they sent me a translation as an mqxlz-file. As I do for other agencies using Studio, I tried to add the file via the Import function after selecting the appropriate TM. However, my PC didn't recognize the file. I then asked to send me a real xliff file. They sent me a file with the long 'mqxliff.xlf.mqliff' extension. I again tried to import via the Import function, but this worked neither.
However, I can open this type of file in the welcome menu after selecting translate as single document.
Now they sent me a 'mqxliff.xlf' file, which I can neither import.

What is the best way to import Memo Q translations into my TM's in Studio? What format do I have to ask the agency to deliver and how do I import them into my TM (and add my metadata)?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jonathan Jan 3, 2020

Jonathan Haerinck wrote:
They sent me a translation as an MQXLZ file.
They sent me a file with the long MQXLIFF.XLF.MQXLIFF extension.
Now they sent me an MQXLIFF.XLF file...

When you import a file to your TM, and you click the "Add files" button, you'll see a dropdown list next to the File Name field called "Supported import files", which tells you which file types you can import to a TM.

You can't import all kinds of XLIFF files. The only type of XLIFF file that you can import into a TM is an SDLXLIFF file. This means that if you want to import segments from another type of XLIFF file (e.g. MQXLIFF or XLF) or any other type of bilingual file that TM import does not support, you first have to convert it to SDLXLIFF. To do this, create a new project and load the files into that project as if they are source files. Trados will then create SDLXLIFF files based on those files, and you can then import those SDLXLIFF files into your TM.

The MQXLZ file is a zip file with MQXLIFF files inside it. If you don't know how to unzip such a zip file that doesn't have a "zip" file extension, I recommend 7-zip.

(Renaming a non-Trados XLIFF file to SDLXLIFF doesn't work either, because Trados uses the SDLXLIFF file's specific, proprietary segment statuses when doing the TM import.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import Memo-Q translations into a TM in Studio.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »