Easy way to mark text in DOCX for translation in Studio (2011) that doesn't involve hiding?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2020

I'm tasked with translating a text that has custom markup which uses different highlight colors and is partly hidden with no simple rules as to what is hidden and what is not. I need to preserve the markup as is, including the hidden parts, and therefore cannot simply hide and then unhide it all. How can I quickly prepare the document for translation, excluding the markup?

[Edited at 2020-01-13 16:15 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:44
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Change the markup, then restore? Jan 13, 2020

Could you change the markup, using Word's Find & Replace function, to something that the CAT tool can work with, then change it back to the original markup after translation?

Hans Lenting

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved: invalid Jan 13, 2020

I declare this resolved as it turns out that there is no actual hidden text in the markup despite the grey check mark in the Font window that suggested otherwise. No hidden text can be found using the Search & Replace window.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy way to mark text in DOCX for translation in Studio (2011) that doesn't involve hiding?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »