bilingual files and clean files
Thread poster: msc2020
msc2020
msc2020
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
Jan 15, 2020

I was asked to send bilingual files and clean files as deliverables.

After searching this forum, I now know that clean files can be created via "Batch Task" > "Generate Target Translations".

However, I could not find any information on what bilingual files mean.

Are they those files that I can create via "Batch Task" > "Export for Bilingual Review", or something else?

I hope somebody can help me understand what 'bilingual files" are and how to
... See more
I was asked to send bilingual files and clean files as deliverables.

After searching this forum, I now know that clean files can be created via "Batch Task" > "Generate Target Translations".

Are they those files that I can create via "Batch Task" > "Export for Bilingual Review", or something else?

I hope somebody can help me understand what 'bilingual files" are and how to create them with Trados Studio.

I would appreciate any kind of advice.
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Working files (.sdlxliff) or project package Jan 15, 2020

The 'bilingual files' are just the files in the CAT tool format (ie. in SDL Studio the .sdlxliff files).

If your client sent you a project package then they would probably expect you to deliver a return package ('Create return package'). If they just sent you .sdlxliff files they would expect those back from you.

msc2020
msc2020
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 15, 2020

Thank you for your advice.

However, actually, I was given excel files and instructed to create a package for myself, so I did so.
Also, they said I should create bilingual files as they are not included in the package automatically...

I assume this may mean a bilingual file for review...

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
bilingual file = xliff Jan 15, 2020

I assume they want the .sdlxliff file because that's what they need to update their TM. The 'Export for bilingual review' would only be of very limited use to your client.

But as always: If in doubt check with your client.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@MC2020 Jan 15, 2020

msc2020 wrote:
However, actually, I was given Excel files and instructed to create a package for myself, so I did so.
Also, they said I should create bilingual files as they are not included in the package automatically...

No, I suspect it's still what Thomas said. The "bilingual files" are the SDLXLIFF files. If you receive a forward package, the package will contain the SDLXLIFF files, but if you create the project yourself (using the original source files), then Trados will create the SDLXLIFF files.

I'm not sure what they mean by "package". Only users with the "professional" version of Trados can create packages from the original files. You probably have the "freelance" version, so you can open existing forward packages and create return packages, but you can't create return packages if you haven't received a corresponding forward package.

msc2020 wrote:

Although the "bilingual review" files are bilingual, I odn't think that that is what the client meant. I'm pretty sure the client meant the SDLXLIFF files.

[Edited at 2020-01-15 11:35 GMT]

Jorge Payan

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps bilingual Excel file Jan 15, 2020

It is possible - as it happens with quite a few localization projects - that the client wants to receive a bilingual Excel file. In this case, you can just generate the target file and paste the results to the source Excel file, so that the source and target are in two side-by-side columns.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:35
English to Russian
sdlxliff Jan 16, 2020

No, it has nothing to do with Excel. This term refers to sdlxliff that was mentioned above here by others. I just want to add on how to get it: once the translation is done, go to File - Advanced Save - Save copy as - Locate the folder where you expect to find your bilingual file.
If you have dozens of files, it would be easier to select all of them, with target language flag turned on, and go to Batch Tasks - Export files - select 'File version to export: Latest bilingual version'. This
... See more
No, it has nothing to do with Excel. This term refers to sdlxliff that was mentioned above here by others. I just want to add on how to get it: once the translation is done, go to File - Advanced Save - Save copy as - Locate the folder where you expect to find your bilingual file.
If you have dozens of files, it would be easier to select all of them, with target language flag turned on, and go to Batch Tasks - Export files - select 'File version to export: Latest bilingual version'. This will create a folder containing all sdlxliff files from your project.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:35
English to Russian
a bit more about sdlxliff Jan 16, 2020

msc2020 wrote:

Nope. When you add a file (any format) to Trados, it converts the file into its own internal format = sdlxliff.
If you don't need the sdlxliff file, you may even not notice that it exists because it is saved, kept, updated, and stored internally in a specific default folder.
However, in your case, you do need the sdlxliff file (because you were so instructed by your client). You can either copy the sdlxliff file from the said default folder or export as I mentioned above.
*If you choose to copy files from folder, make sure you save them in Trados before copying.

Chawanrat Sukhuwit

msc2020
msc2020
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bilingual files for review Jan 20, 2020

Thank you all for giving me advice!

It turned out that they wanted bilingual files for review, which can be generated through Batch task.

I am letting you know this as I thought this information may be helpful for you in future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bilingual files and clean files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »