Thread poster: Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
Local time: 05:55
English to French
+ ...
Jan 30, 2020

Dear colleagues,

I have just installed Trados 2019 on a Mac with Parallels and I need to return a small translation by tomorrow.
I keep getting the above message when I try to confirm my target translation: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
Moreover, the spell checker is inactive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stéphanie

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to translate again using your tm Jan 31, 2020

This is a common problem, nobody knows what really helps in that situation.

Stéphanie Bellumat

Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Try googling the error Jan 31, 2020

That's what I do when I get this type of errors. Most of the times I find the solution.

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/12920/la-reference-d-objet-n-est-pas-definie-a-une-instance-d-un-objet

Good luck,

Cristina

Stéphanie Bellumat

Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Heinrich and Christina! Jan 31, 2020

Heinrich, I have not created a memory because it is a very small sample test.
Christina, I have posted the problem on the SDL community, but none of the proposed solutions work so far.
Thanks anyhow to you two.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:55
French to English
+ ...
Working in Trados without a TM?? Jan 31, 2020

This may be off-topic, but I don't see much point in working in Trados without a TM. Surely, it aligns your paragraphs and it provides some control on missing text and spelling, but...
The point of using Trados is to find similar, already translated patterns. This is done by saving ALL your translations in a reference file that enables searches, i.e., your TM.
That includes tests, which, in my experience, include some difficulties intended to separate the wheat from the chaff. Someti
... See more
This may be off-topic, but I don't see much point in working in Trados without a TM. Surely, it aligns your paragraphs and it provides some control on missing text and spelling, but...
The point of using Trados is to find similar, already translated patterns. This is done by saving ALL your translations in a reference file that enables searches, i.e., your TM.
That includes tests, which, in my experience, include some difficulties intended to separate the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes, very useful hints are saved in TMs.
This means that, in my opinion, you don't really use any of Trados's smart capabilities, since without TMs, Trados doesn't have any.

HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2020-02-01 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 31, 2020

Thank you Sandra & Kenneth Grossman for your input!
After struggling a bit, I have managed to solve the problem and turn back the sample on time.

[Edited at 2020-01-31 15:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »