Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 25, 2020

Hello everyone

Today I got a new kind of job: an alignment task. The deliverable was an .SDLALIGN file. The source and target files (RTF) were already "segmented" in that each paragraph contained a single segment. No further segmentation was desired. So I thought, hey, nothing to it... just load the two files into Trados' aligner, make sure it doesn't segment the text further, and save!

I was unable to trick Trados into accepting that each segment from file 1 aligne
... See more
Hello everyone

Today I got a new kind of job: an alignment task. The deliverable was an .SDLALIGN file. The source and target files (RTF) were already "segmented" in that each paragraph contained a single segment. No further segmentation was desired. So I thought, hey, nothing to it... just load the two files into Trados' aligner, make sure it doesn't segment the text further, and save!

I was unable to trick Trados into accepting that each segment from file 1 aligned perfectly with each segment from the same line in file 2. Trados insists on re-guessing, even if the TM is set to paragraph segmentation. Fortunately, there were rather few of these re-guesses (was I just super lucky?). An example:

stupid trados alignment

So, whenever this happened, I had to manually disconnect the pairs (fortunately, you can select more than one at a time) and manually re-connect the pairs (has to be done one by one). Does anyone know of a way to prevent this from happening?

Also, what is the correct way of ensuring that Trados uses paragraph segmentation when aligning? What I did was to create a dummy TM with paragraph segmentation in both the source and target languages, then do the alignment, then save the alignment, then create a new TM with sentence segmentation, and then add the alignment to that new TM.

Another thing I discovered was that my computer's username is saved in "AlignmentSettings.xml" inside the .SDLALIGN zip file, though that was simple enough to remove, thanks to 7-zip. Also, I could not figure out how to edit the TM's user ID inside Trados itself (does anyone know how, please?), but I figured out that it can be done in DB Browser (select column, paste).

Samuel
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
confirm alignment Feb 25, 2020

If I understand your first question, all you need to do is Confirm the alignment you have done. It has been a long time since I have done an alignment, but I think you can confirm everything up to the segment where you are. You can also "tell" it to realign everything after that point if you want, and sometimes that fixes a lot of messed-up alignments it already did. You can definitely confirm each alignment. When you confirm, the dotted line turns into a solid line.

edited: I h
... See more
If I understand your first question, all you need to do is Confirm the alignment you have done. It has been a long time since I have done an alignment, but I think you can confirm everything up to the segment where you are. You can also "tell" it to realign everything after that point if you want, and sometimes that fixes a lot of messed-up alignments it already did. You can definitely confirm each alignment. When you confirm, the dotted line turns into a solid line.

edited: I hit Return twice to make a new paragraph and it posted instead. I just only wanted to add that I hope this helps. I always only segment by sentences (by full stop), not paragraphs, and I don't know how to help you with any of your other questions.

[Edited at 2020-02-25 20:00 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2019 alignment, quick and dirty?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »