How do I see the Translation Memories view and the Editor at the same time?
Thread poster: Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:34
English to Russian
+ ...
May 6, 2020

Because Trados's concordance is a joke, I find myself routinely switching to the Translation Memories view to search the TM manually. Then I have to switch back to the Editor to continue translating.

So, is there a way to see them both at the same time, and not have to switch back and forth?

I use SDL Trados Studio 2017.

Thank you for your help!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Poor alternative solution May 6, 2020

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
I find myself routinely switching to the Translation Memories view to search the TM manually. Then I have to switch back to the Editor to continue translating.

I find that the SDLTM files (the TMs used by Trados) can often be searched with e.g. Agent Ransack (if you look beyond the code). So an alternative solution to your problem would be to use Agent Ransack to search the folder in which your SDLTM file(s) reside. The program searches the files anew each time, and does not convert them or index them at a certain point in time. Other full-text search programs may also be able to search those files directly. Unfortunately most concordance programs require that you index a file before you can search it.

Unfortunately the Quick Access bar is context sensitive, so even though you can add a button to it to search the TM, that button is only available in TM view.

Another poor alternative is to use an AutoIt script to create a shortcut that clicks the TM pane button and puts the cursor in the search field for you, and then when you press the shortcut again, it clicks the Editor pane button again. This does require that for the duration of the running of the script, the Trados window must stay on the same place on the screen. Would this be something that interests you? It won't allow you to have the TM view visible at the same time, but it'll allow for much quicker switching.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Mikhail May 7, 2020

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
Because Trados's concordance is a joke...

I use SDL Trados Studio 2017

Why? Are you sure everything is set fine in your project(s)? I also use SDL Trados Studio 2017, and everything works fine.

If something is wrong, try removing the TM(s) from project settings, close Studio, reopen Studio, reopen project and add TM(s) once again.

If you need to look for something manually, you don't need to switch to the TM view, you may paste/type what you are searching for directly in the concordance window, in the upper line. The search will be performed in all TMs added to the project. Just check if you would like to search in the source or target.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:34
French to English
+ ...
No need to switch back and forth from Editor to TM view May 7, 2020

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
So, is there a way to see them both at the same time, and not have to switch back and forth?

Hi Mikail,
You don't need to switch back and forth from Editor to TM view. You can attach any number of TMs to your project, and in the Project view, Language Pairs > Your Language Pair, make sure that their respective boxes are checked for Enabled, Lookup and Concordance and unchecked for Update. In this configuration, your TM search will look up all your TMs and will update only the one you wish to update.
If the TM is in a different language, use the AnyTM addon with any TM, as above.

HTH,
Sandra

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
From my experience May 7, 2020

Trados has the best concordance feature compared at least with memoQ, Memsource, XTM or Smartling.
I guess you mean its small size? If yes, you can undock it and place it wherever you like. With my 3 monitors, I have this window expanded in another monitor.
To undock the pane, select it, then press the right mouse button over its pin icon (left to the Close cross) and select 'Floating'. In case that you decide to restore normal view, uncheck the Floating option (by pressing rmb over
... See more
Trados has the best concordance feature compared at least with memoQ, Memsource, XTM or Smartling.
I guess you mean its small size? If yes, you can undock it and place it wherever you like. With my 3 monitors, I have this window expanded in another monitor.
To undock the pane, select it, then press the right mouse button over its pin icon (left to the Close cross) and select 'Floating'. In case that you decide to restore normal view, uncheck the Floating option (by pressing rmb over the pin icon again) or press Reset Window Layout.
Also you can expand the docked pane by dragging its lower boundary.

[Edited at 2020-05-07 10:58 GMT]
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Concordance May 7, 2020

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Because Trados's concordance is a joke, I find myself routinely switching to the Translation Memories view to search the TM manually. Then I have to switch back to the Editor to continue translating.

Hi Mikhail,
To continue Stepan's excellent comments I would like to add that I place the Concordance screen to cover the Translation Results screen in order to save window space. This way, concordance is activated whenever I press the keyboard shortcut without taking any additional space. You can do all your searches in both directions there. It's definitely more user-friendly than switching between TM view and Editor view.

HTH,
Sandra

Darius Sciuka

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I see the Translation Memories view and the Editor at the same time?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »