Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 06:57
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Aug 5, 2020

I completed the translation. Then, I decided to save target. I did so. Then, I tried to open the target Word file and found that the target file was same as the source file (i.e. the target was in English like the source). Could you, please, help me with that?

Thank you!

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
English to Czech
+ ...
What version are you using? Aug 5, 2020

In Trados Studio, you create your target file by clicking on Batch Tasks and selecting the option Generate Target Translation. The target file will have the same name as the source, with the language codes at the end.
The dialog box at the end of the process will offer to open the folder where the newly created target file is.

expressisverbis

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2017 Aug 6, 2020

I use 2017. And I suspect you use earlier versions, since I do not event remember such order you refer to.

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
English to Czech
+ ...
I use 2017 Aug 6, 2020

I also use Trados Studio 2017. Sorry, I am not sure what process you use for generating a target file. Sometimes people use a command "Save Target As" but it's my understanding this can cause problems.

expressisverbis

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Aug 6, 2020

Really? I use that option during the last several years and this was the very first time I faced the problem.

Stepan Konev

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 03:57
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Weird formatting in the source file? Aug 6, 2020

Probably your source file contains some weird formatting, and doesn't allow you to generate a translated file.
Sometimes, this can cause this kind of problems.
Yesterday, I finished the translation of a PowerPoint file, followed all the steps correctly, and finalized the Project File.
When I opened the PowerPoint I had most of the slides untranslated.
The solution I have found was to rename the source file, add this renamed file to my Project and automatically translated
... See more
Probably your source file contains some weird formatting, and doesn't allow you to generate a translated file.
Yesterday, I finished the translation of a PowerPoint file, followed all the steps correctly, and finalized the Project File.
The solution I have found was to rename the source file, add this renamed file to my Project and automatically translated the file using the TM.
After that, I opened the file and I could have it completely translated.
I don't know if this can work with you. It's just a shot.
Collapse

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Aug 6, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

The solution I have found was to rename the source file, add this renamed file to my Project and automatically translated the file using the TM.
After that, I opened the file and I could have it completely translated.
I don't know if this can work with you. It's just a shot.

Perhaps, you are right. I formed the same notion when attentively looked through the source. My solution was terrible:)) I copied the translated text from Trados to the Word file paragraph by paragraph. Some sentences were applied the different colors, so I copied those parts separately. I do not remember myself doing such "peasant work".

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:57
English to Russian
Save Target As Aug 6, 2020

is the intended use. I always use it to save my translation. Using Batch Tasks for this purpose sounds weird to me either.

I only use the Export Files command from the Batch Tasks menu when I need to generate more than one target file at a time. Unfortunately Trados still cannot remember the path. You have to locate the destination folder each time you save each next file. Export Files through Batch Tasks allows you to generate several files to the same path. Other than that, Save
... See more
is the intended use. I always use it to save my translation. Using Batch Tasks for this purpose sounds weird to me either.

I only use the Export Files command from the Batch Tasks menu when I need to generate more than one target file at a time. Unfortunately Trados still cannot remember the path. You have to locate the destination folder each time you save each next file. Export Files through Batch Tasks allows you to generate several files to the same path. Other than that, Save Target As is the way to go (normally).

[Edited at 2020-08-06 22:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Save Target

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »