Thread poster: jmutka
jmutka
jmutka
United States
Local time: 12:10
Finnish to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2020

i have a project to burmese. and created the appropriate (empty) tm. but trados does not like it and refuses to open it. what gives? known bug? going the other way earlier worked, e.g. bu_MM>en-US.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 17:10
English to Polish
+ ...
have you selected the language? Aug 9, 2020

Trados does not accept it because when installing it you have not chosen Burmese as your working language, that's my throughts about it.

You need to reinstall Trados and when setting it up you need to choose Burmese as one of your languages

K.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:10
English to Russian
To avoid re-installing Aug 9, 2020

Assuming you have Windows 10, with SDL Trados Studio 2017 closed:
- Press Win+R, type regedit, press Ok, then Yes
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
- Rename folder LDSRClient5 to LDSRClient5.old

(For SDL Trados Studio 2019, rename LDSRClient15 to LDSRClient15.old)

This will invoke the initial start-up wizard next time you launch Studio so that you can select 5 working languages.

[Edited at 2020-08-09 21:02 GMT]

DZiW (X)
expressisverbis

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
start-up wizard Aug 11, 2020

thanks for this. will try it. yes, i'm on win10.

but if i remember right, no language selection was presented when i installed the program, and because the bu-MM>en-US worked, i assume that burmese was selected as one of the working languages.

-------------

ok. now i tried (not yet re-install). there is no LDSRClient5 -value in the registry. what to do? when i import some TUs to the TM they import fine, but still trados doesn't let me use the TM.

[Ed
... See more
thanks for this. will try it. yes, i'm on win10.

but if i remember right, no language selection was presented when i installed the program, and because the bu-MM>en-US worked, i assume that burmese was selected as one of the working languages.

-------------

ok. now i tried (not yet re-install). there is no LDSRClient5 -value in the registry. what to do? when i import some TUs to the TM they import fine, but still trados doesn't let me use the TM.

[Edited at 2020-08-11 05:06 GMT]
Collapse

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 17:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Well.. Aug 11, 2020

Well...if it's not the language selection issue, maybe there is something wrong with this particular TM.

Try to Export the TM to tmx file and create a new TM in your language pair and then import the tmx file into it.

Perhaps that will help.

K.

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:10
English to Russian
Weirdly Aug 11, 2020

I have a bunch of LDSRClient folders (2, 3, 4, 5, 15)
jmutka wrote:
there is no LDSRClient5 -value in the registry.

This is not a value but a folder. Try to insert this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\LDSRClient5
*However, if bu-MM>en-US worked for you, this has nothing to do with the 5 languages. So I would go with TranslateWithMe's tip.

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados 2017 doesn't accept en-US_bu-MM TM Aug 16, 2020

no LDSRClient folders either. and of course i tried to recreate the TM multiple times, but the new ones are not accepted either. starting to think this really is a bug.

or if someone has a working TM with this language pair, please send it to me. doesn't matter if empty.

[Edited at 2020-08-16 08:18 GMT]

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
have now gotten it to work /w the help of studio 2021 Oct 12, 2020

so, the otherwise useless later version of studio let me create a en-US_bu-MM TM that opens and behaves OK also in studio 2017. for now, problem solved.

had a hell of a time dealing with burmese. apparently the word versions prior to 2013 don't support it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados 2017 doesn't accept en-US_bu-MM TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »