SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack - App doesn't show after installation
Thread poster: Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:28
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 14, 2020

Saturday, I treat myself to the new and better 2021. Imagine my annoyance about the idea someone had that "we" need "decluttering" in the appearance of Trados 2021 and thus should detour to our TMX by download of the SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack (what a big word). OK.
So I did, and - it just won't show in my installation. I did everything xxx by the book xxx, executed, restarted, and nothing.
Each and every support page on apps is 404, so nothing there either. No
... See more
Saturday, I treat myself to the new and better 2021. Imagine my annoyance about the idea someone had that "we" need "decluttering" in the appearance of Trados 2021 and thus should detour to our TMX by download of the SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack (what a big word). OK.
So I did, and - it just won't show in my installation. I did everything xxx by the book xxx, executed, restarted, and nothing.
Each and every support page on apps is 404, so nothing there either. No direct contact link.
Please explain, and quickly. This is such bad new product support, and lacks the elegance of a well developed well rounded product with a good UI which considers the average customer who has to get on with his/her life.
Monday is delivery of a project, and I do not hope that I will have to fuddle the TMX my client supplied into the "less cluttered" but still not very common sdltm. And no, I do not want to use any other converters. Maybe I already regret I trusted 2021 to be just "out of the box".
Let us see how this goes.
Anyone with the same problem/thoughts, or is this an orphan issue?
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact support Aug 14, 2020

Renata,

It's unfortunate that the product doesn't always come up to scratch, but I'll say what I always say - I've always found that Paul and others at SDL Support are very efficient, fast and helpful when I send in a direct ticket, and they also monitor the SDL chats closely.

[Edited at 2020-08-14 12:12 GMT]

Renata von Koerber
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No doubts in personal or professional qualities Aug 14, 2020

But ...
I love my work, and I spend money and time to be on top of my game.
Such problems, however, are totally unnecessary and take away from my personal time, and yes - my nerves. If the solution isn’t intuitive and must be researched, the product concept is not right for our time. A test run with 100 testers would certainly have brought up at least a couple of individuals with the same problem, meriting a much better path to a solution.
And if I already have problems with
... See more
But ...
I love my work, and I spend money and time to be on top of my game.
Such problems, however, are totally unnecessary and take away from my personal time, and yes - my nerves. If the solution isn’t intuitive and must be researched, the product concept is not right for our time. A test run with 100 testers would certainly have brought up at least a couple of individuals with the same problem, meriting a much better path to a solution.
And if I already have problems with a product after 20 mins, I am weary.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:28
English to Russian
Fuddle the tmx Aug 14, 2020

Can you briefly rephrase your problem? I have read your two posts several times, but still cannot understand what is wrong...
Also, why don’t you ask your question at SDL Community?

Renata von Koerber
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying to quickly solve the problems caused by the absence of the upgrading option Aug 14, 2020

Well it says SDL Trados Support - maybe that’s a different kettle of fish from what I think it is.
I need to integrate a tool into 2021 that upgrades TMX as I constantly work with projects where I get those.
My understanding was that the app named in the header of my post would make that possible - after searching for a direct contact in vain.
Maybe you can guide me in a better direction.
Thank you!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:28
English to Russian
Only two steps Aug 14, 2020

If my understanding is correct, you want to make sdltm from tmx.
For this purpose you only need to do 2 steps:
1. Create an empty TM
2. Import TMX to that empty TM
That’s it.
This mechanism works in all other CAT tools such as memoQ, Memsource and many others.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack - App doesn't show after installation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »