Thread poster: Steven Smith
Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:17
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Aug 15, 2020

My client has a large project of about 100 files divided into several folders. They've asked me if I would prefer them to create a single package for all folders or to create a separate package for each folder. The completed files are to be returned in batches over a couple of months.

I don't have much experience working with packages, so I'm not sure about the practicality of this. My questions are:

1. If working on a single package, can I create return packages for in
... See more
My client has a large project of about 100 files divided into several folders. They've asked me if I would prefer them to create a single package for all folders or to create a separate package for each folder. The completed files are to be returned in batches over a couple of months.

I don't have much experience working with packages, so I'm not sure about the practicality of this. My questions are:

1. If working on a single package, can I create return packages for individual folders as I complete them, or is it only possible to create a return package for all folders/files when completed?

2. Are there any other particular advantages or disadvantages to dividing a large project into separate project packages vs creating a single package?

I'm using Studio 2015.

Thanks for your help

Steven
Collapse

John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
I like single large packages Aug 16, 2020

You can create return packages for individual folders as you complete them. When you create a return package, Trados Studio asks you to select the files to be included. It keeps track of which files have already been returned.

Dan Lucas

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:17
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Separate packages Aug 16, 2020

Be wary of single packages containing multiple files. As far as my experience goes, they work perfectly when there aren't many files (let's say 10-12, for example), not so much when the files are many. Years ago an agency sent me a package with 100+ files and, while I managed to open it, it made Studio crash after a couple of minutes. I ended up having to remove the package from Studio altogether. At the time I used Studio 2011.

Renata von Koerber

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:17
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 17, 2020

Thanks for both your replies. I'm going to work with multiple smaller packages and see how that goes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a single package or multiple smaller packages for large project

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »