Paola Olivieri  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 20, 2021

Hi all.
A quite basic question, I think.
I am receiving translations to review from my main client.
They are always and simply on Microsoft Word: one file for the original version and one file for the target version.
What is the best way to proceed for the review on Trados 2021?
Am I supposed to first align the files and then pass to the review?
If so, should I create and open a new project only after the alignment?
What are the exact steps to follow?... See more
Hi all.
A quite basic question, I think.
I am receiving translations to review from my main client.
They are always and simply on Microsoft Word: one file for the original version and one file for the target version.
If so, should I create and open a new project only after the alignment?
What are the exact steps to follow?
I am afraid that skipping some important step would result in some relevant loss (time, relevant TM update,...).
Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Paola
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paola Jan 20, 2021

Paola Olivieri wrote:

What do you mean by "pass to the review"?

I believe you can use Trados for such jobs, but you're going to be doing double work (this is not always a problem, since it allows you to use the functionalities of Trados, e.g. term base, segmentation, etc.). Align the two files, confirm the segments, and then select to save as SDLXLIFF file when you press the Save button. Then create a new project and edit that SDLXLIFF file in Trados, using tracked changes. But AFAIK, then there is no way to automatically apply those edits to the original target file. You'd have to open the target file in Word and then manually it it (copy the edits that you had made in Trados). I may be wrong.

Paola Olivieri

Paola Olivieri
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, I am afraid :) Jan 20, 2021

Thank you very much, Samuel.
I will proceed as you kindly suggested and let you know what I can get.
Especially if I find any quicker way to apply the edits to the original target file.

Paola Olivieri
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Jan 22, 2021

Hi Samuel.
I tried the whole procedure and after opening and editing the SDLXLIFF file in Trados with track changes, I was actually unable to finalize/export/generate the target file. The error messages displayed confirm that this happens because "there is no original file type definition associated with this file".
I also tried, after the alignment, to simply open the source file, populate it through PerfectMatch and edit the translation results I get, but it seems (maybe beacuse I
... See more
Hi Samuel.
I tried the whole procedure and after opening and editing the SDLXLIFF file in Trados with track changes, I was actually unable to finalize/export/generate the target file. The error messages displayed confirm that this happens because "there is no original file type definition associated with this file".
I also tried, after the alignment, to simply open the source file, populate it through PerfectMatch and edit the translation results I get, but it seems (maybe beacuse I am in Translation mode and not in Review mode) that I can no longer apply track changes.
So I got to the conclusion that the best way to proceed on future similar occasions is to edit the translation on Word and, if I do not want to lose the effort made and make it available on Trados, finally align the source with the edited text to populate the TM.
Thank you very much again for your help,
Paola
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to review translations in Word on Trados 2021

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »