My TRADOS TM has disappeared. Must find asap!
Thread poster: pbp28
pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2002

I\'m working with Trados on one file that has to go into 2 different languages. The freelance version doesn\'t allow me to do it all in one \"project\" (or I haven\'t found how to do it!) so I set up 2 different project folders.

Arranging and sorting files is not one of my strong points and a few hours ago the client called because he needs some changes. He needs them asap and since I\'m working across time zones I have only a few hours left. I opened the project but the
... See more
I\'m working with Trados on one file that has to go into 2 different languages. The freelance version doesn\'t allow me to do it all in one \"project\" (or I haven\'t found how to do it!) so I set up 2 different project folders.

Arranging and sorting files is not one of my strong points and a few hours ago the client called because he needs some changes. He needs them asap and since I\'m working across time zones I have only a few hours left. I opened the project but the TM has vanished!

I\'ve tried the find file function *.tmw and none of the results displayed is the file I\'m looking for.

Would any of you know where could my TM be?

Thanks,

Pili

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-27 02:48 ]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
German to English
Sounds to me Aug 27, 2002

like you need to switch the PC off, go get a cup of coffee and chill for a few minutes! Let you and the PC calm down and then when you get your equilibrium back:

On Translators\' workbench as with most other Windows programs, click on file menu and you should see the list of TMs you most recently used. On the top blue line of Workbench you can see which one is currently open. You should find it there.

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
look for *.iix + *.mdf + *.mtf + *.mwf + *.tmw Aug 27, 2002

via the find files function in Windows, these are the 5 files of which the Trados memory is composed. After you find them, move them into a folder specially created by you for this purpose and save all new Translation Memories in there. Just to be sure, always create an export and put that in yet a different place, you then can import this export into a new or existing memory.

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the tm is still not there Aug 27, 2002

hello,

did exactly that, but still couldn\'t find the TM. I still can\'t, the one that was open as you suggest is the one that I used for the other language pair. ??

By the way, is there anybody else who can change the titles of the messages I post?

Thanks,

Pili

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
German to English
Then defragment your disk Aug 27, 2002

You should get hold of a program that defragments your disk. I use one called Norton Systemworks. Cost you $70 from

http://software.symantec.com

It clears up your registry and hard disk. There may be other cheaper ones. The longer you use a pc the more it can get messed up. I think you\'ve overworked your pc and it\'s had enough! There are times when switching it off at the wall helps - but I don\'t gua
... See more
You should get hold of a program that defragments your disk. I use one called Norton Systemworks. Cost you $70 from

http://software.symantec.com

It clears up your registry and hard disk. There may be other cheaper ones. The longer you use a pc the more it can get messed up. I think you\'ve overworked your pc and it\'s had enough! There are times when switching it off at the wall helps - but I don\'t guarantee it!
Collapse

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
French to English
+ ...
Search for *.tmw in ALL FOLDERS Aug 27, 2002

Your idea to search for *.tmw is the best way to find the file. It may be that your search was conducted on only part of your hard disk. When you search for *.tmw, look in that same dialog box for a choice like \"look in folder\" with a pull down menu allowing you to select part or ALL of your hard disk. Your disk may be partitioned into a drive C and a drive D (or other designations) Be sure to search all partitions.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
What did you exactly do? Aug 27, 2002

Dear Pili,

I do not think that defragmenting could help you much right now, and I advise you not to do it right now.

Your request of help does not sound much complete. You \"set up\" the projects in Trados, ok. Now, why are you loocking for the TM? Did you already made your translations? Did you clean them? In this case you can always qulickly rebuild your TMs using the backup bilingual files that Trados saves when you clean up...

Or
... See more
Dear Pili,

I do not think that defragmenting could help you much right now, and I advise you not to do it right now.

Your request of help does not sound much complete. You \"set up\" the projects in Trados, ok. Now, why are you loocking for the TM? Did you already made your translations? Did you clean them? In this case you can always qulickly rebuild your TMs using the backup bilingual files that Trados saves when you clean up...

Or, please explain exactely what the problem is, so that we can try and help.

Luca
Collapse

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
after 6 hours of sleep Aug 27, 2002

hello & thanks for your replies.

Now after delivering the corrected files and 6 hours of sleep I still haven\'t been able to find the file that I need.

Before explaining anything let me tell you that despite having used computers for over 16 years and having taught for a long time, I haven\'t succeeded in tackling Trados. The manuals are impossible, not to mention the help files installed in my hard disk!

Let me start from the beginn
... See more
hello & thanks for your replies.

Now after delivering the corrected files and 6 hours of sleep I still haven\'t been able to find the file that I need.

Before explaining anything let me tell you that despite having used computers for over 16 years and having taught for a long time, I haven\'t succeeded in tackling Trados. The manuals are impossible, not to mention the help files installed in my hard disk!

Let me start from the beginning as this may happen again and I wouldn\'t know how to sort it out.

The original job was from Portuguese into English and into Spanish. As I mentioned before, the Freelance version (apparently) doesn\'t allow me to create a project into two different languages. So I simply created two different directory structures (i.e. project folder, source & target, etc.). There was no TM supplied (so I had to create a new one) and Multiterm was running with a database of my doing (it still works ok).

The translations were delivered last Friday, but the client decided to introduce a few items into the English version. I therefore had to get the whole thing running again (i.e. Trados, Word, Translator\'s workbench & Multiterm). I clicked the open/get button and the only entries displayed were into Spanish (and not into English).

Needless to say I had the wrong tmw file so I started looking for the right one, but couldn\'t find it.

First I tried with the \"close\" and \"open\" in the file menu of Translator\'s workbench.

Then I tried opening another file that had already been translated and needed no changes, but Workbench wouldn\'t get the right TM (once again it went straight to Spanish tmw).

Immediately after I tried looking into the file folders: nothing.

Lastly the \"find files or folders\" in the Start menu: nothing. (I did make sure the search was conducted on the whole disc i.e. c: & d: and even tried the cd-rom (e and zip files (f - lest I had saved it there by mistake).

In between all these I switched off the pc, run a virus scan, checked directory structure, etc, and they all seem to be ok. Usually every 4/6 months I format the hard disk and reinstall everything (there shouldn\'t be any corrupt files).

I don\'t know what I\'ve done, could it be that I saved it somewhere else? could a translation memory have another extension (other than tmw)?

or am I just witnessing another binary system coming to life on its own??

(hope it\'s clear enough)

thanks,

Pili

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-27 18:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-28 02:52 ]
Collapse

clauce
clauce
Mexico
Local time: 12:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
little tip that could help Aug 28, 2002

Hi,

Have you tried searching by using a key word that is included in your translation? For me it has worked at times when there are problems with the extensions.

Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-30 01:37 ]

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
is that in a tmw file? Aug 28, 2002

how can I open a tmw file without corrupting it?

Pili

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:38
English to German
+ ...
A number of answers... Aug 28, 2002

pbp28 wrote:

Quote:
By the way, is there anybody else who can change the titles of the messages I post?

Yes - the forum moderator and the site operators can do that. Generally, this is only done if a heading is unclear.

Quote:
Before explaining anything let me tell you that despite having used computers for over 16 years and having taught for a long... See more
pbp28 wrote:

Quote:

Yes - the forum moderator and the site operators can do that. Generally, this is only done if a heading is unclear.

Quote:

I would strongly suggest to go for a training course - I\'ve been using Trados (admittedly, the Team version) for >5 years now, without problems. The only exception is Workspace, which I abandoned after a couple of projects; just use the components on their own.

clauce wrote:

Quote:
Have you tried searched by using a key word that is included in your translation? For me it has worked at times when there are problems with the extensions.

I\'m afraid that won\'t work for a Trados TM - you would need a text export to search in this way.

pbp28 wrote:

Quote:
how can I open a tmw file without corrupting it?

Only in Workbench.

BTW if you still have the pre-cleanup version of your original translation (.bak), you can recycle that by performing another cleanup operation. However,

- to be on the safe side, first create a copy of that .bak file and save this as an RTF file (to avoid confusion with the translated .doc file),

- ensure that the cleanup task is set to update the TM.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Collapse

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
training et al Aug 28, 2002

As far as training is concerned, I\'ve considered it but I\'ve been up to my ears in work and haven\'t found the time to travel to the locations where courses are offered (none within easy reach).

As to postings, Ralf, how come this thread ended up under \"technical support for Agencies\"? and since we are at it, how do I get my name instead of my signin name to show on the left pannel? (there\'s been no time to explore Proz either).

I\'ll try cleaning
... See more
As far as training is concerned, I\'ve considered it but I\'ve been up to my ears in work and haven\'t found the time to travel to the locations where courses are offered (none within easy reach).

As to postings, Ralf, how come this thread ended up under \"technical support for Agencies\"? and since we are at it, how do I get my name instead of my signin name to show on the left pannel? (there\'s been no time to explore Proz either).

I\'ll try cleaning up of the file and see what I get, ( no need to worry all files are backed up).

thanks to you all,

Pili

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My TRADOS TM has disappeared. Must find asap!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »