TRADOS: How to searching hidden (source) text?
Thread poster: Maria Asis
Maria Asis
Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 25, 2002

Dear all,

I would like to check if there is a word in the hidden text (source segments) of a translation done with Trados.

These segments are not included in the TM that I\'m using, and I would not want to add them either.

Is there a chance to use the Search option under Edit and that Word performs a search in the whole document including the hidden text?

TIA

Maria José

... See more
Dear all,

I would like to check if there is a word in the hidden text (source segments) of a translation done with Trados.

These segments are not included in the TM that I\'m using, and I would not want to add them either.

Is there a chance to use the Search option under Edit and that Word performs a search in the whole document including the hidden text?

TIA

Maria José

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-25 15:42 ]
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
yes, search for hidden text Sep 25, 2002

This is how:

In Find, put in your term, click MORE, then FORMAT. Under FORMAT, put a tick in the box, hidden text. Now the search function will find the hidden text. I spent some time finding this so I am glad to spare you the effort.

Krzysztof Kożurno
Krzysztof Kożurno  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Another way Sep 25, 2002

If you can display Trados hidden text you would probably be able to search it in a regular way (if you don\'t select any text formatting all the displayed text will be searched).

I\'m not sure how and if you can display the hidden Trados text. I do this with Wordfast hidden text and there is no problem provided it is displayed (tools->display option or view->check \"hidden text\" box)

Good luck,

Kris

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Search in usual way Sep 25, 2002

Working with TRADOS in Word you usually MUST show hidden text. If Word does not show hidden text, follow Kris´s advice. You can check the box \"show all\" either.

After the hidden text is shown on the screen you can perform the search in the usual way. Word searches the whole text then, the hidden text too. So you will be able to find anything you need.

If you do not wish to add the translated units to your TM, but want to perform a clean-up, so you can
... See more
Working with TRADOS in Word you usually MUST show hidden text. If Word does not show hidden text, follow Kris´s advice. You can check the box \"show all\" either.

After the hidden text is shown on the screen you can perform the search in the usual way. Word searches the whole text then, the hidden text too. So you will be able to find anything you need.

If you do not wish to add the translated units to your TM, but want to perform a clean-up, so you can do this directly in Word, using a TRADOS macro. To activate this macro, press \"ALT+F8\" and then select the following macro: tw4winClean.Main and let it run. Your text will be cleaned, but no segmenst will be added to your TM.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Maria Asis
Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 26, 2002

Many thanks to all!

Maria José

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: How to searching hidden (source) text?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »