Which programs can be supported by Trados.
Thread poster: Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:26
English to French
+ ...
Nov 5, 2002

I use Trados mainly with word documents, powerpoint documents and also Html files teven though I prefer Catscradle. I have a customer who would like to have a TM but all his documents are in PDF form. If I put them in word. It is dramatically difficult to work on them. Can the function \"ALIGN\" be used when the translation is done to align both original text and translation and build a TM. And how does it work? Please explain clearly because I am like a small child in this field.

Than
... See more
I use Trados mainly with word documents, powerpoint documents and also Html files teven though I prefer Catscradle. I have a customer who would like to have a TM but all his documents are in PDF form. If I put them in word. It is dramatically difficult to work on them. Can the function \"ALIGN\" be used when the translation is done to align both original text and translation and build a TM. And how does it work? Please explain clearly because I am like a small child in this field.

Thanks a lot for your interest.
[addsig]
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Trados Tutorials Nov 5, 2002

Included is also the WinAlign Tutorial for Word, HTML and SGML/HML files:

http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=12

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:26
French to English
Extra charge Nov 5, 2002

Quote:

I have a customer who would like to have a TM but all his documents are in PDF form.

I hope you realize that you should be charging your client more for translating PDF documents given all the extra work involved.

All PDF documents were created from files in other formats -- there are no exceptions -- Acrobat cannot \'create\' documents on its own. This means that the origi... See more
Quote:

I have a customer who would like to have a TM but all his documents are in PDF form.

I hope you realize that you should be charging your client more for translating PDF documents given all the extra work involved.

All PDF documents were created from files in other formats -- there are no exceptions -- Acrobat cannot \'create\' documents on its own. This means that the original files exist somewhere and your client should be able to send you files that are easier to work with.

When it comes to sending a memory to a client that does not document formats that are easy to work with, you should be charging a reasonable fee for the memory. After all, it can take many hours to extract the text from PDF files and then many more hours to align texts. Alignment is only a semi-automated process. A lot of work is required to make sure all sentences are \'properly\' aligned.

In my opinion, only an hourly fee is appropriate.

Also, remember that once you supply a memory, there will be less translation work for you since the customer will benefit from the material in the memory.

If the client wants a memory, it must be because the client has the original files because the memory would not do them any good without the files (unless they also plan to extract the text from PDF documents).

It seems this client is expecting you to do all the work, but then maybe the client is paying for these additional services.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk ▲ Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wordfast supports PDF Nov 6, 2002

Hi,

as far as I know Wordfast supports PDF, that means Wordfast is able to import (or convert) PDF files into Word, so they can be translated using either Wordfast or Trados or any other CAT tool.

Regards,

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which programs can be supported by Trados.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »