Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Can we make an effort to be nice to newcomers?
Thread poster: Christine Andersen
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
i agree Feb 27, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

.......... Let's make a special effort to be nice to everyone!

I strongly agree although (alas) this "know-it-all" attitude pervades the Internet in general, e.g. at the Apple Discussion Forums, where a perfectly legitimate question from a newbie, or an inexperienced person, often results in a flood of arrogant responses from competing contributors always anxious to demonstrate that they know best.

Frequently the original query gets forgotten in the melee of responses and counter-responses.

Not an edifying spectacle for anyone, and not helpful to the person asking the question.

It seems that showing courtesy on the internet, as (hopefully) you would in real life, is something that the world is just beginning to learn !

Scathing remarks about "inexperienced clueless wannabes" typify the attitude. Remember: one day not so long ago you, too, were an inexperienced clueless wannabe!

[Edited at 2014-02-27 08:58 GMT]

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:05
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another vote for politeness Feb 27, 2014

I think it's pretty clear what one ought to do in forums such as this.

If you can't answer without being snarky, don't. You can't know the circumstances in which the OP has posted. Perhaps they aren't inept, just a bit lost. And if you really feel the need to take your anger out on a complete stranger then maybe you need to consider what that says about your own life.

If you do answer, try very hard to make your answer clear. I'm sure we've all been on the
... See more
I think it's pretty clear what one ought to do in forums such as this.

If you can't answer without being snarky, don't. You can't know the circumstances in which the OP has posted. Perhaps they aren't inept, just a bit lost. And if you really feel the need to take your anger out on a complete stranger then maybe you need to consider what that says about your own life.

If you do answer, try very hard to make your answer clear. I'm sure we've all been on the receiving end of Internet discussions that end up in arguments due to misunderstandings.

I occasionally visit "the other site" (the one with the coffee cup logo) and am always shocked at the often extremely abusive tone employed there to anyone posting in the discussion threads, whether newbie, established translator or long-time site user. It's been getting worse and worse over the last year or so.

Let's all try to ensure that ProZ doesn't go the same way.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is why I use this site... Feb 27, 2014

JaneD wrote:

I occasionally visit "the other site" (the one with the coffee cup logo) and am always shocked at the often extremely abusive tone employed there to anyone posting in the discussion threads, whether newbie, established translator or long-time site user. It's been getting worse and worse over the last year or so.

Let's all try to ensure that ProZ doesn't go the same way.

I occasionally look in there too, and hastily retreat!

I really appreciate the way that on the whole discussions here are relevant, and the tone, if direct in the heat of the moment, is at least not intended as hostile.

I like passion and enthusiasm, but it should be reserved for the subject under discussion, not aimed at the person who raised the question.

Back to haranguing the next newbie ... but I'll try to be gentle

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Help on the way! Mar 1, 2014

There's a feature that lets you show 'number of forum posts' in your profile. Some do this - they can have up to thousands of posts to show. So they, at least potentially, attract attention to everybody here.

Then there's what happens when you do a Google search on your name + translator. If you have a profile here, then that often comes up. But not always alone. Sometimes if you've posted in the forum there's a bunch of forum topics from the ProZ.com ForumZ right underneath.
... See more
There's a feature that lets you show 'number of forum posts' in your profile. Some do this - they can have up to thousands of posts to show. So they, at least potentially, attract attention to everybody here.

Then there's what happens when you do a Google search on your name + translator. If you have a profile here, then that often comes up. But not always alone. Sometimes if you've posted in the forum there's a bunch of forum topics from the ProZ.com ForumZ right underneath.

There's always the possibility that somebody else than those who appear in the forum, with a name and photo sometimes, reads your posts. I don't really think that the forums are studied though. But until it becomes possible to delete your forum posts, they're available as a part of your online presence.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't really understand what you're getting at, Mark Mar 1, 2014

But your last sentence is very true, and another very good reason to keep your temper in check here:
Mark Benson wrote:
until it becomes possible to delete your forum posts, they're available as a part of your online presence.

I doubt that it will ever become possible for us to remove posts, other than in exceptional circumstances - you can't remove part of a conversation without the whole thing becoming meaningless.

I certainly think it would be useful if the poster of every new thread in the "Getting Established" forum was prompted to check the Site Guidance Center, forums, articles, Wikis, FAQ... before posting. And it would be really useful if the original post was displayed at the top of each page, as it is on so many sites. It doesn't guarantee things will keep on track, but it does help somewhat.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Mar 1, 2014

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Into English translators omitting definite and indefinite articles in their postings. I think we are too kind over here.

Agreed. There have been some posters over the last few years who should clearly be banned for gross incompetence/misrepresentation and nobody seems to have had any reaction to the issue. I'm talking about individuals who claim to be professional translators working into English making posts in a language that is only one notch above pidgin English. Some of them even claim to be native English speakers.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:05
Chinese to English
They may take our lives, but they'll never take my snark! Mar 2, 2014

JaneD wrote:

If you can't answer without being snarky, don't.

Losing my snark would be like an amputation of the most delicate nature... without it, I'd bit little more than an American with a stupid accent...

Sorry, only joking. I fully agree with what you're saying, and support being nice to newbies, and even to each other. All this talk of the forums being part of our "online presence" is starting to depress the hell out of me though. You guys are my colleagues, a couple of you even my friends, and I hope that I can still have a conversation with colleagues and friends without thinking too much about my brand identity.

But yeah, being polite to strangers isn't a question of brand identity. It's just basic good manners.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Well quite! Mar 2, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

JaneD wrote:

If you can't answer without being snarky, don't.

Losing my snark would be like an amputation of the most delicate nature... without it, I'd bit little more than an American with a stupid accent...

Sorry, only joking. I fully agree with what you're saying, and support being nice to newbies, and even to each other. All this talk of the forums being part of our "online presence" is starting to depress the hell out of me though. You guys are my colleagues, a couple of you even my friends, and I hope that I can still have a conversation with colleagues and friends without thinking too much about my brand identity.

But yeah, being polite to strangers isn't a question of brand identity. It's just basic good manners.

Agree completely. I too am indissociable from my sarcastic comments in real life, but it's not fair to take that out on people who may just be lost on a forum that is at least meant to be professional.

PM me if you ever want to snark to someone who will definitely appreciate it!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quotes hidden post.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we make an effort to be nice to newcomers?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »