Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:03
English to French
Apr 16, 2014

Hello,

When doing a search in the forum, the sort order displayed is "Sort by: Most recent", but the truth is that the oldest items are displayed first. It would be nice if after a search most recent results were in fact displayed first.

Thank you.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:03
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most recent posts were shown first when I tested this Apr 16, 2014

Hello Jacques,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have tested the forum search, at http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y , and found that sorting results so that most recent posts are shown first is working for me. Could you please supply a screenshot showing the results you are receiving, as well as the search criteria you are using?
... See more
Hello Jacques,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have tested the forum search, at http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y , and found that sorting results so that most recent posts are shown first is working for me. Could you please supply a screenshot showing the results you are receiving, as well as the search criteria you are using? You can upload the screenshot by submitting a support request from the support center: http://www.proz.com/support/ . Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Try this Apr 17, 2014

Hi Alejandro,

Try this: once you are on this forum page, reading my reply, scroll up to the search field (just under the "Jump to forum" pull-down menu), type "test" and click "Search". If you're like me, you're seeing as a first hit a message from Aug 2 2005. If you scroll down the page, you get more recent hits. The "Sort by" field however shows "Most recent". That's inconsistent. Is it different for you?

A second hit on Search once on the Search page does provide the
... See more
Hi Alejandro,

Try this: once you are on this forum page, reading my reply, scroll up to the search field (just under the "Jump to forum" pull-down menu), type "test" and click "Search". If you're like me, you're seeing as a first hit a message from Aug 2 2005. If you scroll down the page, you get more recent hits. The "Sort by" field however shows "Most recent". That's inconsistent. Is it different for you?

A second hit on Search once on the Search page does provide the correct sort order. So the problem seems limited to searching from the forum page (vs. from the Search page).

Thanks,

Jacques

[Edited at 2014-04-17 07:09 GMT]
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:03
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see what the problem is now Apr 22, 2014

Hello Jacques,

Thanks for detailing the steps you follow to make a search. I have followed them and found the problem. When you make a search from the a forum page, only the target words you typed are taken into account to make the search. In other words, when you go to the list of results at http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y , none of the
... See more
Hello Jacques,

Thanks for detailing the steps you follow to make a search. I have followed them and found the problem. When you make a search from the a forum page, only the target words you typed are taken into account to make the search. In other words, when you go to the list of results at http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y , none of the available search settings are into effect. The sorting option "Most recent" is shown but only as an option. That is why, when you click on "Search forums" again, the results are sorted so that most recent posts are shown first.

So, while the option to sort results by date is working, the overall situation is confusing. I will make a suggestion note about this, so that results are automatically sorted by date, showing recent ones first. Thanks for bringing this up! Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 23, 2014

Exactly. And if as you say "When you make a search from the a forum page, only the target words you typed are taken into account to make the search", then the correct default sort order (Most recent) might be set in the search script. (Even simpler than passing the parameters from the forum page.) Thanks!

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Still not solved Sep 24, 2014

This issue has not been solved.
When one does a search from the forum page, results are sorted with oldest first, which is obviously not desirable, even though the form shows "Sort by: most recent". One needs to click again on Search forums, to get the correct order.

If you have made "most recent" the default sort order in the search form, that's because we all want that. For the same reason, it must be the sort order of searches made from forum pages. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum search: sorting by date doesn't work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »