José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
May 3, 2014

I usually access forums via the "most recent posts".

About 60~70% of all the posts there belong to the SDL Technical Support forum.

I was lucky enough to have lived Trados-free so far, and expect to continue doing so.

If Trados imposes endless trouble upon its users, I suggest Prozians were allowed choose the very CAT tool forums they are interested in on the most recent posts area, and thus be spared from watching the widespread agony peers have to live in
... See more

I was lucky enough to have lived Trados-free so far, and expect to continue doing so.

If Trados imposes endless trouble upon its users, I suggest Prozians were allowed choose the very CAT tool forums they are interested in on the most recent posts area, and thus be spared from watching the widespread agony peers have to live in by having made different choices.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you can... May 3, 2014

Profile > Settings > Forum Dashboard > Homepage forums...

HTH...

[Edited at 2014-05-03 13:35 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
That's what is not working May 3, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Profile > Settings > Forum Dashboard > Homepage forums...

HTH...

[Edited at 2014-05-03 13:35 GMT]

I checked it, and I have set it to WordFast only among all the CAT tools forums, however I see a ton of messages on Trados tech support every single day, as well as a few occasional ones on MemoQ, OmegaT, Transit, and others.

I read somewhere that SDL offers some paid Trados tech support service. From the overwhelming number of such messages here, I get the impression that such service comprises a Proz (free?) subscription and nothing else. Slick trick!

[Edited at 2014-05-03 14:05 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Home Page>Form vs Member Activities>Forum May 3, 2014

The forums I see on my own home page are the ones I set on my dashboard.
When I go into the forums through Member Activities I get my own plus a slew of posts about a variety of CAT tools. I quickly learned to access the forums through my own home page.
Tangentially, most of the posts on the subject of CAT tools are discussing problems people are having with one or the other of them -- i.e. they are critical -- so I would be surprised if they were in any subsidizing that particular
... See more
The forums I see on my own home page are the ones I set on my dashboard.
When I go into the forums through Member Activities I get my own plus a slew of posts about a variety of CAT tools. I quickly learned to access the forums through my own home page.
Tangentially, most of the posts on the subject of CAT tools are discussing problems people are having with one or the other of them -- i.e. they are critical -- so I would be surprised if they were in any subsidizing that particular forum.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Exasperation May 3, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

If Trados imposes endless trouble upon its users, I suggest Prozians were allowed choose the very CAT tool forums they are interested in on the most recent posts area, and thus be spared from watching the widespread agony peers have to live in by having made different choices.

I share your exasperation, but on the other hand the prevalence of discussion forum users who seem to be having problems with Trados are useful to me as a constant reminder of how much better off I am without it .

That said, it's true that the Proz website has many functions we don't even know about or that are difficult to access - such as the one enabling us to not see particular Proz forums. I wouldn't have a clue where to go to find it and anyway, I tend to access the forums via the direct links in the email notifications that arrive.

[Edited at 2014-05-03 19:31 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:13
English to French
Opting out of "SDL Trados support" fora May 4, 2014

I haven't had ANY "SDL trados support" fora in my home page for some years, because indeed they seem to invade the discussion space.

Try this:
On your home page, click "Customize" in the fora section (top).
Click "Forum dashboard" in the left-hand side column.
Click the "Homepage forums" tab (top).
In the "CAT tools support" section (you may have to scroll down to see it), uncheck "SDL Trados support" from the "List on homepage" column.

Philippe<
... See more
I haven't had ANY "SDL trados support" fora in my home page for some years, because indeed they seem to invade the discussion space.

Try this:
On your home page, click "Customize" in the fora section (top).
Click "Forum dashboard" in the left-hand side column.
Click the "Homepage forums" tab (top).
In the "CAT tools support" section (you may have to scroll down to see it), uncheck "SDL Trados support" from the "List on homepage" column.

Philippe

Edit: Actually, in the "most recent posts" link, I still can see the "SDL Trados support" forum, so this doesn't work.
I usually access forums through my homepage, where only fora I elect to see are displayed.
Adit 2: And I realised that Giovanni follows another path to get to the same solution.

[Edited at 2014-05-04 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks but... May 4, 2014

Thanks Philippe. Although I had to "interpret" your instructions because "left" means "right" and some of the options you describe have different names from the ones you use, I finally found my "homepage forums" and discovered that *none of them* were selected, so I selected all the ones that interest me, and saved the changes.

Now I'll wait to see what happens !

(I wish there could be only ONE WAY of doing things on the Proz site. There seem to be different pathways f
... See more
Thanks Philippe. Although I had to "interpret" your instructions because "left" means "right" and some of the options you describe have different names from the ones you use, I finally found my "homepage forums" and discovered that *none of them* were selected, so I selected all the ones that interest me, and saved the changes.

Now I'll wait to see what happens !

(I wish there could be only ONE WAY of doing things on the Proz site. There seem to be different pathways for doing the same things.)
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You could console yourselves with the fact that these ARE exceptions! May 4, 2014

Considering the thousands of people who use Trados in one form or another every day and the millions of jobs translated with it, it does in fact work smoothly most of the time.

Looking at the technical support forum is like watching a car repair workshop as opposed to the motorways and roads in general where cars are running smoothly without problems.

But just as there are cars and bicycles - and indeed even Shanks' pony - for transport, there are different tools for tr
... See more
Considering the thousands of people who use Trados in one form or another every day and the millions of jobs translated with it, it does in fact work smoothly most of the time.

Looking at the technical support forum is like watching a car repair workshop as opposed to the motorways and roads in general where cars are running smoothly without problems.

But just as there are cars and bicycles - and indeed even Shanks' pony - for transport, there are different tools for translation, and I agree, it would be useful at times to hide all the Trados problems.

Perhaps it is particularly bad just now - there has just been a Java update AND a new service pack for Studio. I was lucky this time: it all went without a hitch. I am back in business enjoying at least one new feature already!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
"You are not tracking any forum or thread" May 5, 2014

This is what it says under the tab "Forums you are tracking": "You are not tracking any forum or thread"

But then when I click on the tab next to it "Threads you are tracking", dozens are listed!

And from my own home page, when I go to "Member activities---> Forums" I see a long list of all the forums I am tracking.

This list includes a whole lot of CAT-related forums I don't want to see. So to get rid of them I click on one of these, such as "SDL Trados su
... See more
This is what it says under the tab "Forums you are tracking": "You are not tracking any forum or thread"

But then when I click on the tab next to it "Threads you are tracking", dozens are listed!

And from my own home page, when I go to "Member activities---> Forums" I see a long list of all the forums I am tracking.

This list includes a whole lot of CAT-related forums I don't want to see. So to get rid of them I click on one of these, such as "SDL Trados support" and then "Forum Settings" - > "Forum tracking notifications" and select "Off", then "save".

Then I go back to my home page-- >Member activities---> Forums and SDL Trados is **STILL THERE**.

+*%§°òç !!!!!

So apart from this being a real obstacle race, it doesn't work.

[Edited at 2014-05-05 08:16 GMT]
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here, Tom. May 5, 2014

"I share your exasperation, but on the other hand the prevalence of discussion forum users who seem to be having problems with Trados are useful to me as a constant reminder of how much better off I am without it ."

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Home page May 5, 2014

In the home page click on "home page forums setting" deselect what you don't like et voila les jeux sont faits:)

I did it right now and it worked

Good luck!

[Edited at 2014-05-05 09:59 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Where the.... May 5, 2014

Angie Garbarino wrote:

In the home page click on "home page forums setting"

Where the *^°# is that?

"les jeux sont faits" sounds rather ominous - when used in an English context that phrase has negative connotations!

All I've succeeded in doing (by mistake) so far, by selecting "off" in "Forum Settings", is to stop receiving emails about these posts.

I *hope* I've now corrected that but the Kafka-esque and anything-but-intuitive organisation of the Proz website doesn't inspire my confidence.

I'll wait to see if the emails start arriving again. If not, I may never see your reply....

[Edited at 2014-05-05 10:48 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sorry Tom May 5, 2014

If "les jeux sont faits" has a negative connotation, you know I am not English native, well then

Open the home page of Proz.com, search for the list of fora, on top of it you see in red (clickable) "home page forums setting" click and you will see a list of selected forums, deselect what you don't like, save and "you are done"

Edit: corrected a typo

[Edited at 2014-05-05 11:09 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Home page (as below) May 5, 2014

Recent topics in translator forums
1,190,890 total postings

If you don't see the forums you would like to be seeing, please update your homepage forum settings »

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nope May 5, 2014

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Open the home page of Proz.com, search for the list of fora....

Sorry, I can't find it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding forums on "most recent posts"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »