Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
What bothers you about the forums? (Poor spelling?)
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:58
French to German
+ ...
Yes, please Sep 13, 2014

2G Trad wrote:

Hide posts from selected users
That's the function I would love in Proz fora.

Cheers
Gianni

[Edited at 2014-09-13 08:49 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Totally agree... Sep 13, 2014

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

On the other hand, every day I see that 60~80% of all forum posts on Proz are about insolvable Trados problems. This is just one of the several reasons why I don't and won't have Trados.

At least 90% of messages about "insolvable" Trados problems are actually about non-problems or problems that have received a solution long ago. I have been using Trados since version 3 of the old tool, and since version 2009 of Studio. There are a few things I find frustrating with it (e.g., the choice to use a ribbon instead of sticking with a menu interface), and a few others I wish were better implemented (e.g. more intelligent fuzzy-matching algorithms).

On the whole I'd say that it doesn't suffer from problems more than any other well-seasoned piece of software (e.g., Microsoft Office). I find it a stable and useful tool.

... But I agree with you that there is way too many forum posts about Trados - I only wish that people searched older posts before starting a new thread: 80% of the post would then be unnecessary.

Just do a search first... if you don't find anything, then post... I hardly have any problems with Studio or all previous versions of Trados. I guess not all of us are well versed in IT, but a PC/Mac is your main work tool, so I believe people should try and understand their tool better. It's really not that difficult...

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
I want to stop leaving Kudo grading to the community and block certain people accessing the profile Sep 20, 2014

Just now there is a Kudo question that I know the right answer but dont even want to provide it. It is a quite hard question requiring thinking but the asker put it as non Pro and has been bombarded the system with questions. I dont like it because it seems he overuses the system and just brings it up without much thought and when getting the right answer he just leave the grading for the community. The right answer may not be the rewarded one if someone has fans voting for them.

I
... See more
Just now there is a Kudo question that I know the right answer but dont even want to provide it. It is a quite hard question requiring thinking but the asker put it as non Pro and has been bombarded the system with questions. I dont like it because it seems he overuses the system and just brings it up without much thought and when getting the right answer he just leave the grading for the community. The right answer may not be the rewarded one if someone has fans voting for them.

I also like to block ill-intentioned people from access the profile. Some visits are not welcomed.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This can already be done Sep 20, 2014

Little Woods wrote:

I also like to block ill-intentioned people from access the profile. Some visits are not welcomed.

There's a way of blocking users whose activity you don't want to know about. Here's a link to the explanation.

http://www.proz.com/faq/5021#5021

I have blocked a few people that way. If they ask a kudoz question I don't receive any notification.

[Edited at 2014-09-20 16:55 GMT]

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Thank you, Tom! Sep 21, 2014

I will look at the feature you mentioned. There must be useful tips.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Very few posts in forums which are not in English Sep 21, 2014

@ Bernhard:

I do not understand why you criticise people who make faults in English (except if they translate into English, but then this is their problem!). Not every one is an English native speaker and not everyone works with this language. I know I make faults in English but I only learnt it during 5 years in school, now more than 25 years ago.

You say well then let's use forums in languages where you are good in. The problem is there are very few posts in German or
... See more
@ Bernhard:

I do not understand why you criticise people who make faults in English (except if they translate into English, but then this is their problem!). Not every one is an English native speaker and not everyone works with this language. I know I make faults in English but I only learnt it during 5 years in school, now more than 25 years ago.

You say well then let's use forums in languages where you are good in. The problem is there are very few posts in German or French (in other languages surely less than that) and if you create one yourself there will be 3 to 5 responses, no more! So there is no choice. If you want to discuss and have more than 2 or 3 opinions you have to do it in English.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Seconded! Sep 21, 2014

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

@ Bernhard:

You say well then let's use forums in languages where you are good in. The problem is there are very few posts in German or French (in other languages surely less than that) and if you create one yourself there will be 3 to 5 responses, no more! So there is no choice. If you want to discuss and have more than 2 or 3 opinions you have to do it in English.

I don't understand this need of perfectionism neither. Ok, this is a site of translators, and we should try to write well, but like Andrea said, not everyone writing in the English forum is a native speaker and many of us (like me, too) don't even work with English.

And for any problem, may it be software or whatever, you'll get much more advice if you post in English, don't forget, so why should we be precluded from asking or posting in English whatever we need to know or like to comment??

I think there are many other things instead to be bothered about in the forum: the umpteenth rant about low rates, the twentiest post in one month asking how to convert a PDF file into Word or people asking whether 5 cents is a fair rate. Those worry me much more than some error, in whatever language they are written.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
More privacy (I hope I got the word right...!!) Sep 21, 2014

Thanks, Christel!

The umpteenth rant about low rates or the twentiest post asking how to convert à PDF file in whatsoever dont bother me neither. If I am not interested in the post I just dont read it!

In deed I read quite a few posts only...

My proposition would be not to make the forums public. If one acceeds to your profile everyone can have a look on what you posted and I dont think this
... See more
Thanks, Christel!

The umpteenth rant about low rates or the twentiest post asking how to convert à PDF file in whatsoever dont bother me neither. If I am not interested in the post I just dont read it!

In deed I read quite a few posts only...

My proposition would be not to make the forums public. If one acceeds to your profile everyone can have a look on what you posted and I dont think this is ideal! A sort of private community would be much better I think. Only freelancers, no agencies or other clients.

The same with the KudoZ questions that appear on google. In theory your customers can have a look at all what you have been asking for...
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:58
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A forum is a place for anyone to put their posts and not an English contest arena Sep 21, 2014

That's all.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These are things that bother me and they might not bother you Sep 22, 2014

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

@ Bernhard:

I don't understand this need of perfectionism neither. Ok, this is a site of translators, and we should try to write well, but like Andrea said, not everyone writing in the English forum is a native speaker and many of us (like me, too) don't even work with English.

And for any problem, may it be software or whatever, you'll get much more advice if you post in English, don't forget, so why should we be precluded from asking or posting in English whatever we need to know or like to comment??

I think there are many other things instead to be bothered about in the forum: the umpteenth rant about low rates, the twentiest post in one month asking how to convert a PDF file into Word or people asking whether 5 cents is a fair rate. Those worry me much more than some error, in whatever language they are written.

There's nothing wrong with trying to write as well as you can and it seems you agree, Andrea (see above), and, I want to add, especially in a translator forum, in any language you choose to use. I would expect any poster to write relatively good English. I mentioned that before. And as far as your comment above (I put it in bold) is concerned Christel, I don't mean to preclude anyone from posting in any forum. I simply expressed what is bothering me, especially when lots of people claim to be fluent in English these days or claim to translate from English. If English is indeed someone's source language (according to their profile), they should be able to write it correctly. Anything else will look pretty bad when you claim to be a translator. That doesn't mean it has to be as perfect as that of a native speaker. As far as I am concerned, really bad English is just not appropriate here and doesn't contribute anything to increasing the professionalism of this site - but that's only my opinion. If someone writes afrayd* and a few more words the same wrong way not just once but every time they post, I find it annoying to say the least. That's the kind of thing I am talking about. (*This is an error very similar to an actual error found in the forum).

A few points I made previously:

Original post:
Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
Many times, the spelling in the English forums is just atrocious. A spell-checker might come in handy.
What else is bothering you? Maybe things could be improved. Thank you for any suggestions.

There have been other concerns people have and it's great that those have been posted as well. Thanks.

I also said this before:
Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
I would expect that translators who claim to translate from English also should be able to spell and use English correctly. And my comments really relate to those posters whose English is just bad

PS: There's a big difference between perfection and blatant incompetence or willful ignorance.

[Edited at 2014-09-22 05:19 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are entitled to your opinion Sep 22, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

A forum is a place for anyone to put their posts and not an English contest arena.

That's all.

A certain basic level of English (especially regarding spelling and basic sentence structure and tenses) seems quite reasonable to me. This has nothing to do with a contest but only with basic courtesy and professionalism. (IMO)

[Edited at 2014-09-22 05:35 GMT]

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
What's so great about plain text? Sep 22, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

I don't want editors or likes or anything else modern. With all the plain text in here, it's almost like having a real conversation with real people!
I must demur; a very frequent complaint about plain text conversations is the lack of possibility for nuance. A decent editor would be a small step towards something a little more expressive. After all, typesetters don't restrict themselves to plain text.

JoshuaV-M
JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Local time: 08:58
Spanish to English
What bothers me the most is... Aug 15, 2015

...the wait time for a post to appear after posting it. Sometimes I've waited nearly a day for my posts to appear. Then, if I see a mistake and edit it, the process starts all over again. It really hurts the flow of communication. I can understand doing this with a poster's first few posts, but when it is clear after those few posts that someone is a legitimate non-trolling and non-spamming poster, I see no reason why he or she shouldn't be allowed to post without such delays unless he or she la... See more
...the wait time for a post to appear after posting it. Sometimes I've waited nearly a day for my posts to appear. Then, if I see a mistake and edit it, the process starts all over again. It really hurts the flow of communication. I can understand doing this with a poster's first few posts, but when it is clear after those few posts that someone is a legitimate non-trolling and non-spamming poster, I see no reason why he or she shouldn't be allowed to post without such delays unless he or she later demonstrates otherwise. Can we do something about this?

EDIT: I just saw this in the FAQ:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 - Are forum postings vetted? [Direct link]

Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately.* Postings from all others are checked before being made visible. Most postings are approved within 12 hours.

* Access to networking features, which potentially affect other members, may be modified or revoked at the discretion of the ProZ.com team.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering that, how do I make sure that my identity is verified? I look forward to any possible help

[Edited at 2015-08-15 22:47 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
VID program Aug 15, 2015

Hi Joshua

You can find all necessary information in the FAQ section "Verified Identity Program":
http://www.proz.com/faq/profiles.html#verified_identity_program

HTH,
Natalia

JoshuaV-M
JoshuaV-M
Mexico
Local time: 08:58
Spanish to English
Thanks Natalia! Aug 15, 2015

I appreciate your help.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What bothers you about the forums? (Poor spelling?)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »