Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Make "inclusive" format available to non-staff topic starters? (+ What poster info to show?)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:18
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 1, 2018

Hi folks,

Some time around 2004 an alternative discussion format was created for the ProZ.com forums. Basically, in the interest of making it easier for a large number of people to weigh in and have their input considered, the format asks posters to limit the length and number of their contributions. That way, the thinking goes, everyone interested may be able to get a post in.

Up to now, the option to post new topics using this format was available only to site staff m
... See more
Hi folks,

Some time around 2004 an alternative discussion format was created for the ProZ.com forums. Basically, in the interest of making it easier for a large number of people to weigh in and have their input considered, the format asks posters to limit the length and number of their contributions. That way, the thinking goes, everyone interested may be able to get a post in.

Up to now, the option to post new topics using this format was available only to site staff members. But I think we forgot the option existed.

I remembered the option recently and dusted it off, using it for this topic: "A translator you know to be good in 'IT' says they are also good in 'legal'. Is it probably true?"

I like what I perceive to be the effect of this format on the discussion: if you read just the first two forum "pages", you will know the opinions of twenty-five different professionals.

Several posters expressed approval for the format.

It occurs to me to make the option of using this format available to any topic poster. What do you think?

Also, a secondary question: For some reason, as implemented 14 years ago, the format intentionally leaves out display of poster details other than name. What poster information do you think should be displayed in this format?

And yes, we will implement an "agree" option soon. (later: OK, it exists now!)

Of course, I have posted this topic using the "inclusive" format option.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My thoughts Jun 1, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

....within two forum "pages", as many as twenty different posters had shared their thoughts in a concise manner.....it occurs to me to make the option of using this format available to any topic poster. What do you think?

I think this should be IMPOSED on all posts. A reasonable length for any post (in any language) would be about 300 words.

... the format intentionally leaves out display of poster details other than name. What poster information do you think should be displayed in this format?

Leave it as it is. Anyone who wants to know more about a poster can just click on their name.

P.S. please make posts editable so that we can correct spelling mistakes etc.
P.P.S. the yellow background is very hard on the eyes. A gentle colour in the blue-green range would be much better.

[Edited at 2018-06-01 15:00 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
on a side note Jun 1, 2018

Please change the colour from that hideous yellow

Michael

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
+1 Jun 1, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

Please change the colour from that hideous yellow

Michael

+1

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 15:18
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
@ Tom + 1 Jun 1, 2018

Agree with Tom. Excessively long posts should be banned- a reasonable limit is fine.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Find a better name Jun 1, 2018

Sure, let the topic poster decide.

The name sounds silly, though. It's not as if anyone is excluded from the standard format. Something along the lines of brief, concise or short format might be more adequate.

NEW POST made as an edit, as I have reached my posting limit, so I cannot write this in a new post:

Agneta Pallinder said:

I found it very hard to read the posts on pale green background, the text just doesn't get enough contrast, on my screen at least.

+1
Yes!
Agree!

I e-mailed Henry directly about it because I could not add a new post. The contrast is too low and makes it difficult to read. More discrete and lighter background colours, please, if you absolutely want them. What is the purpose of having a coloured background behind text?

[Edited at 2018-06-02 12:56 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jun 1, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

I like what I perceive to be the effect of this format on the discussion; within two forum "pages", as many as twenty different posters had shared their thoughts in a concise manner. Several posters expressed approval for the format.

It occurs to me to make the option of using this format available to any topic poster. What do you think?

Also, a secondary question: For some reason, as implemented 14 years ago, the format intentionally leaves out display of poster details other than name. What poster information do you think should be displayed in this format?

Regarding length of posts:

+1 for imposed concision

Regarding poster information:

I'd like to at least see the language pair(s) of the poster.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ah yes Jun 1, 2018

Jan Truper wrote:

I'd like to at least see the language pair(s) of the poster.

Ah yes - I agree with Jan. I hadn't noticed that this had been eliminated.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TwitterZ? Jun 1, 2018

C'mon, this is not TwitterZ... If some people are so unbearably annoyed by "long posts", well, they can just skip them. It's that easy, really.

Besides, not every topic, post or thought can be condensed in a "tweet", and thinking about enforcing this length restriction, together with a maximum number of posts a user can write in a thread (and that this would be a good thing), "in order to allow a significant number of people to participate efficiently"(?) seems quite absurd t
... See more
C'mon, this is not TwitterZ... If some people are so unbearably annoyed by "long posts", well, they can just skip them. It's that easy, really.

Besides, not every topic, post or thought can be condensed in a "tweet", and thinking about enforcing this length restriction, together with a maximum number of posts a user can write in a thread (and that this would be a good thing), "in order to allow a significant number of people to participate efficiently"(?) seems quite absurd to me...
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree that... Jun 1, 2018

1. Poster should have option to choose the concision format. If someone has a lengthy but pertinent story to tell, it can be spread across two posts. Surely that would be sufficient.
2. The name "inclusive format" is misleading.
3. The poster's language pair(s) should be shown, but nothing more. One may click if additional info is desired.
4. Please change the color from that hideous yellow.
5. The "agree" o
... See more
1. Poster should have option to choose the concision format. If someone has a lengthy but pertinent story to tell, it can be spread across two posts. Surely that would be sufficient.
2. The name "inclusive format" is misleading.
3. The poster's language pair(s) should be shown, but nothing more. One may click if additional info is desired.
4. Please change the color from that hideous yellow.
5. The "agree" option will be very welcome. Had it been available on this forum, I would not have needed to post at all! How's that for concision?

--Jane

PS: BTW, one should be able to hover and see a list of those who hit the "agree" button. There's not much point in agreeing anonymously.

[Edited at 2018-06-01 18:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-06-01 18:45 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The option is now available to everyone Jun 2, 2018

The "inclusive" option is now available to everyone. You'll see it when posting a new topic.

The background color is now a light green.

"Posters identified with name only" is left as is.

We'll see how this works out.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you for the green. Jun 2, 2018

My eyes feel better already.

Oh wait--is it only this forum that received the color change?

[Edited at 2018-06-02 02:18 GMT]

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Background colour - yellow yes please - green no thank you Jun 2, 2018

I found it very hard to read the posts on pale green background, the text just doesn't get enough contrast, on my screen at least.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No, thank you Jun 2, 2018

I like the yellow and I am quite capable of skimming or ignoring long posts!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
100% Jun 2, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Besides, not every topic, post or thought can be condensed in a "tweet", and thinking about enforcing this length restriction, together with a maximum number of posts a user can write in a thread (and that this would be a good thing), "in order to allow a significant number of people to participate efficiently"(?) seems quite absurd to me...

Agree with Mirko... sometimes, things can't be reduced to a few lines...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make "inclusive" format available to non-staff topic starters? (+ What poster info to show?)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »