Thread poster: Peter Ross
Peter Ross
Peter Ross  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:44
Thai to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2011

ใครบ้างมีประสบการณ์ในการใช้ Trados Studio 9 กับภาษาไทย สำเร็จหรือไม่ขอคุยด้วยนะครับ เพื่อเรียนรู้และรู้จักขอบเขตของโปรแกรมนี้ ช่วยกันแก้ปัญหา ผมแปลไทยเป็นอักฤษ แต่อังกฤษแปลเป็นไทยยินดีจะร่วมมือในเรื่องนี้เช่นเดียวกัน... ปีเตอร์

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:44
English to Thai
+ ...
Compatibility with Thai Jan 31, 2011

T2009 is better than T2007 for Thai language compatibility (e.g. in En > TH language pair: blank space setting, line break, diacritics, find/replace, conversion, PDF file). The only weak point of Trados Studio 2009 Editor is typing strokes for Thai: word wrap, deletion or characters/words, spell-checking. It also has bugs: a nature of new Trados products you need to take care of. I do not suffer much with regard to the Thai language translation. I use T2009 SP2 now.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Peter Ross
Peter Ross  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:44
Thai to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some Issues Feb 7, 2011

SDL promises Thai language compatability and the ability to leverage previous translations. However...

* WinAlign still uses a character set which is not completely compatible with Thai. When you create a tmx or bilingual txt from an aligned file, you have to go in and manually correct incompatible characters/corrupted text.
* Thai-English texts are best aligned including breaks after English commas, but there are no segmentation options for this.
* Studio 2009 doesn't
... See more
SDL promises Thai language compatability and the ability to leverage previous translations. However...

* WinAlign still uses a character set which is not completely compatible with Thai. When you create a tmx or bilingual txt from an aligned file, you have to go in and manually correct incompatible characters/corrupted text.
* Thai-English texts are best aligned including breaks after English commas, but there are no segmentation options for this.
* Studio 2009 doesn't support Thai word recognition e.g. In MSWord, double clicking on text selects the word. This does not happen in Trados 2009 for an imported Thai language source document. It's not clear to me how this lack of word recognition affects the TM creation and function--whether one should create a Thai source TM with character search ability, for example.
* Because SDL's outlook is so Eurocentric its difficult to know where to go for help or training. Most training/info samples assume an established TM and/or termbase already exists. SDL provides no written information in any language about using Trados with Thai. I emailed the supposed registered SDL dealer in BKK but received no reply.

I would like to overcome these issues.
Collapse

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
My comments Jun 25, 2012

>No, I think not. I use WinAlign in T2007 and SDLX 2007 [the latter is much compatible with Thai characters]
>This is a bottleneck f
... See more
>No, I think not. I use WinAlign in T2007 and SDLX 2007 [the latter is much compatible with Thai characters]
>This is a bottleneck for Thai. Why not set "space" as segmentation rule and "expand segment?"
* Studio 2009 doesn't support Thai word recognition e.g. In MSWord, double clicking on text selects the word. This does not happen in Trados 2009 for an imported Thai language source document. It's not clear to me how this lack of word recognition affects the TM creation and function--whether one should create a Thai source TM with character search ability, for example.
>This is also a bottleneck. I have an alternative method ..... but prefer not to reveal my special technical skills publicly. In short, be familiar with it and use it fully---it is better than many other CAT tools.
* Because SDL's outlook is so Eurocentric its difficult to know where to go for help or training. Most training/info samples assume an established TM and/or termbase already exists. SDL provides no written information in any language about using Trados with Thai. I emailed the supposed registered SDL dealer in BKK but received no reply.
>Seek helps in SDL Trados "Knowledge base;" I hit a number of hints about Thai [starting from older Trados versions]

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Is it worth the investment? Aug 8, 2012

After reading the discussion between you two users, I would like to ask whether Trados is worth the investment for Thai-English translation?

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
It is worth Jun 8, 2017

DJHartmann wrote:

After reading the discussion between you two users, I would like to ask whether Trados is worth the investment for Thai-English translation?

Many Trados users wrote to me to explain how to use TH>EN pair efficiently in Trados. It is my long years of experience, and I dare say that MS Word is the best for this pair. My steps of application are as follows:
1) Create bilingual TH>EN file in Trados.
2) Copy all target texts [remain in Thai before any translation] into Word.
3) Change Word Texts into Word table. Add another table column to work e.g. on the left or the right of source text column.
4) In Word, manually or MT-based translate each Thai phrase into English by observing connections of phrases among rows into good English grammar, including where you will end the sentence with full stop marks. This is quite simple since TH and EN grammars are mostly compatible.
5) Create TM out of 2-column Word table. Be aware of source and target texts carefully.
6) Import the TM into Trados.
7) Translate (adjust) translations in the Trados bilingual file.

I find that this method enhances my job efficiency greatly.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro Ph.D.
Bangkok
8 June 2017

[Edited at 2017-06-08 02:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ใช้ Trados Studio 9 กับภาษาไทย

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »