Patrick Fitzsimons
Patrick Fitzsimons  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
Member (2015)
Thai to English
Sep 25, 2015

Hi everyone,

I know people have discussed this topic elsewhere, but I've having trouble putting all the information together. I can see how CAT tools would be useful for English>Thai, but my attempts so far to put Thai source material into a CAT tool have been a little discouraging.

I would like to know if there are any CAT tools that are designed to deal with Thai as a source language. I have read that Wordfast is better than most, because you can manually separate th
... See more
Hi everyone,

I know people have discussed this topic elsewhere, but I've having trouble putting all the information together. I can see how CAT tools would be useful for English>Thai, but my attempts so far to put Thai source material into a CAT tool have been a little discouraging.

I would like to know if there are any CAT tools that are designed to deal with Thai as a source language. I have read that Wordfast is better than most, because you can manually separate the segments. Aside from finding this a bit difficult to do so far, I'm curious whether other translators find this an efficient method. Also, due to the lack of spaces, is it possible to build a database of words, or smaller terms—or will the TM only remember long Thai sentences?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

Patrick
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:10
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX, WordFast Classic, Trados Sep 25, 2015

pfitzsimons wrote:

I would like to know if there are any CAT tools that are designed to deal with Thai as a source language. I have read that Wordfast is better than most, because you can manually separate the segments. Aside from finding this a bit difficult to do so far, I'm curious whether other translators find this an efficient method. Also, due to the lack of spaces, is it possible to build a database of words, or smaller terms—or will the TM only remember long Thai sentences?

Patrick

I have done tons of jobs with SDLX, WordFast Classic, Trados. I mostly enjoy SDLX since Thai needs (1) special segmentation rules, and (2) manual break/split of sentence or paragraph into phrases or words. By the way, TM and Termbase are not much helpful unless Thai source texts have been written in standard styles which is beyond imagination now. To speak in short, Thai writing style quality varied badly with occupation, education level, sex, age etc. It is less effective if compared with English, Japanese, Chinese source texts etc.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools for Thai>English Translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »