Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 27, 2008

G'day everyone

I'm using SDL Edit Lite (2007, build 7014) and a client sent me some files to translate. Translating is easy, but apparently there is "format painting" to be done, and I can't figure out how to do it.

When format painting mode is on, I can't select any text, and if I select text first and then enable format painting mode, the selection is cancelled.

So at the moment I have all the target text in the format colour of the first formatted text
... See more
G'day everyone

I'm using SDL Edit Lite (2007, build 7014) and a client sent me some files to translate. Translating is easy, but apparently there is "format painting" to be done, and I can't figure out how to do it.

When format painting mode is on, I can't select any text, and if I select text first and then enable format painting mode, the selection is cancelled.

So at the moment I have all the target text in the format colour of the first formatted text of that line, and all the other format colours are stacked up at the end of the line with little red markers under them. And I can't figure out how to "move" these format colours so that the appropriate text is coloured.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is not a Trados question Mar 27, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
I'm using SDL Edit Lite (2007, build 7014) and...

This question was moved here from the "CAT Tools Technical Help" forum. This forum is for SDL Trados, isn't it? But my question has nothing to do with Trados. The SDL company have more products than just Trados.

Anyway, I think I've licked it. SDL Edit doesn't allow you to paint text that has already been painted, so to repaint any text you have to start painting from the start of the line... so that the text that you didn't "paint" becomes unpainted. Then you can paint it with another colour.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Correct forum Mar 27, 2008

Hi Samuel,

This question was moved here from the "CAT Tools Technical Help" forum. This forum is for SDL Trados, isn't it? But my question has nothing to do with Trados. The SDL company have more products than just Trados.

I'm aware of that - please have a look at the forum description:

Get and give support on SDLX, Trados, MultiTerm, and other SDL Trados products

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deleted Mar 27, 2008

Hmm, my browser sent the post but I thought I had cancelled it.

[Edited at 2008-03-27 11:18]

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can display tags instead of format painting Mar 27, 2008

Hi Samual,

It seems you have already worked out how to do the format painting.

I just wanted to mention one thing though: You can display tags instead of format painting. Users who are not too familiar with SDLX sometimes find it easier to work this way.

To do so go to View > Tags and select one of the three options for tags. Unfortunately, it's not possible to copy and paste the tags but at least you will have a precise idea of what they will do and where
... See more
Hi Samual,

It seems you have already worked out how to do the format painting.

I just wanted to mention one thing though: You can display tags instead of format painting. Users who are not too familiar with SDLX sometimes find it easier to work this way.

To do so go to View > Tags and select one of the three options for tags. Unfortunately, it's not possible to copy and paste the tags but at least you will have a precise idea of what they will do and where they should appear in the translated segment.

HTH

Best regards,
Claudia
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:36
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Had the topic before Mar 27, 2008

Please check: http://geo.proz.com/post/180922.

Good luck,

Kathi

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
What I do in SDLX 2006 Mar 27, 2008

I have only a limited experience in SDLX, but this is what I do:
-Select the paintbrush
-Double-click on the source text colour with the colour to transfer to the target segment: the whole part of the source text with the same colour gets highlighted.
-still with the paintbrush on, select the text to be painted in the target segment. Here you are, the selected target text is painted with the colour chosen on the source text.

Then you carry on, select colour in sour
... See more
I have only a limited experience in SDLX, but this is what I do:
-Select the paintbrush
-Double-click on the source text colour with the colour to transfer to the target segment: the whole part of the source text with the same colour gets highlighted.
-still with the paintbrush on, select the text to be painted in the target segment. Here you are, the selected target text is painted with the colour chosen on the source text.

Then you carry on, select colour in source then apply it in target (you can use shift+click to select text from the last cursor position to the next)

Hope it helps,
Philippe

Edit: to get rid of the trailing formats, in the FormatPainting menu, select get rid of all format before applying the formats

[Edited at 2008-03-27 11:32]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any way do to this without a mouse? Mar 27, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:
I have only a limited experience in SDLX, but this is what I do...

This is more or less what I have done, yes. But after just ten minutes my shoulder was aching because of all the mousework. It seems that SDL requires more accurate mousework than PaintShopPro! Is there any way to do this without the mouse, or at least with the mouse only in the source text column?

The alternative is to tell the client "I don't paint formats" and let their inhouse translator suffer the joint pains.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:36
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Track changes, perchance? Mar 27, 2008

The alternative is to tell the client "I don't paint formats" and let their inhouse translator suffer the joint pains.

Hi Sam,

Do that and the client will want a rebate.

Claudia's suggestion is spot on, IMO.

But it sounds like you have a real bucketload of painting to do.

It might be an idea to check this with the client. For example, Word docs with unaccepted track changes look like a bloody rainbow. Accept the changes, create new itds and we're back in the real world of mono. I often get files with unaccepted track changes and either ask for permission to accept the changes or just do it myself.

G'luck

Chris

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I meant, of course... Mar 27, 2008

Textklick wrote:
Do that and the client will want a rebate.

I meant, of course, to say this *before* the client assigns me the job. I meant it as a strategy for future work, not for the current job.

Jessica Rong
Jessica Rong  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Mandarin Chinese
+ ...
Where is the format paint ? I cannot find it in Trados. Apr 28, 2021

I am trying to find the format paint, but cannot find it. Can anyone advise? Thank you.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jessica Apr 28, 2021

Jessica Rong wrote:
Where is the format paint ? I cannot find it in Trados.

This question and the "format painting" feature is not related to Trados. It concerns "SDL Edit", which is a completely unrelated program. It was unlike the "format painter" feature that you see in e.g. MS Word.

I don't know if Trados has a format painter. A search through Mats Linder's Trados manual for "paint" yields no results.

[Edited at 2021-04-28 06:28 GMT]

Jessica Rong

Jessica Rong
Jessica Rong  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Mandarin Chinese
+ ...
How can I turn on the format painting mode? Apr 28, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jessica Rong wrote:
Where is the format paint ? I cannot find it in Trados.

This question and the "format painting" feature is not related to Trados. It concerns "SDL Edit", which is a completely unrelated program. It was unlike the "format painter" feature that you see in e.g. MS Word.

I don't know if Trados has a format painter. A search through Mats Linder's Trados manual for "paint" yields no results.

[Edited at 2021-04-28 06:28 GMT]

Hello Samuel,
Thanks for the reply. I saw on your previous post that you have the "format painting mode" on in Trados. Can you let me know how to turn on the format painting mode? Thank you.

Best,
Jessica

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jessica Apr 28, 2021

Jessica Rong wrote:
I saw on your previous post that you have the "format painting mode" on in Trados. Can you let me know how to turn on the format painting mode?

I am not aware of a "format painting mode" in Trados.

Also, I did not say that I have "format painting mode" on in Trados. What I said was that I had "format painting mode" on in SDL Edit. SDL Edit is not Trados. It is a completely different product.

Jorge Payan
Jessica Rong

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL format painting -- how to do it

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »