Thread poster: Daniel Martineschen
Daniel Martineschen
Daniel Martineschen
Local time: 20:17
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 23, 2016

Dear all,

how do I insert more than two synonyms in a single Transit terminology entry?

for example: "espelho retrovisor" in Portuguese can be translated into German as "Rückspiegel", "Rückblicksspiegel", "Rückwärtsspiegel". There is only one field named "synonym", and the two latter synonyms ("Rückblicksspiegel" and "Rückwärtsspiegel") I'd like to put in different fields so I can insert them with the ALT-G or ALT-K shortcut (when they are together, when I use t
... See more
Dear all,

how do I insert more than two synonyms in a single Transit terminology entry?

for example: "espelho retrovisor" in Portuguese can be translated into German as "Rückspiegel", "Rückblicksspiegel", "Rückwärtsspiegel". There is only one field named "synonym", and the two latter synonyms ("Rückblicksspiegel" and "Rückwärtsspiegel") I'd like to put in different fields so I can insert them with the ALT-G or ALT-K shortcut (when they are together, when I use the shortcut all synonyms are pasted on the translation and I have to erase the rest manually).

I tried using commas, semicolons, line breaks but all synonyms are packed in only one entry.

I couldn't find any reference on the Transit manual about this.

thanks in advance,
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:17
Member (2011)
French to English
Two ways (at least) Sep 24, 2016

1. Click the Termstar tab
Find the main "entry" (data record) you want to edit
Right-click and select Edit (Right page), or Ctrl-Enter
Right-click again and select New entry if you want a separate "sub-entry" (entry in Termstar terms) then choose the language
(or new synonym if you want to add a synonym to an existing "sub-entry")
Don't forget to save when you've entered it

2. In the Editor window you have two options:

... See more
1. Click the Termstar tab
Find the main "entry" (data record) you want to edit
Right-click and select Edit (Right page), or Ctrl-Enter
Right-click again and select New entry if you want a separate "sub-entry" (entry in Termstar terms) then choose the language
(or new synonym if you want to add a synonym to an existing "sub-entry")
Don't forget to save when you've entered it

2. In the Editor window you have two options:

Terminology menu, Creation section of the ribbon, Rapid entry
(I use this all the time, about 100 times a day, you can write a keyboard shortcut macro, I've chosen Ctrl-Shift-R)

OR

Terminology menu, Creation section of the ribbon, Insert selected (before doing this, make sure both the SOURCE and TARGET expressions are selected)

I prefer rapid entry, because you can edit the source and target expressions (case, singular/plural, etc.).
NB: You'll often get the message 'Entry already exists' and three buttons: New data record, Insert, Cancel.
Just click Insert if you want to add the term to the existing data record. It will be listed as a term (i.e. an entry, not a synonym), but in the same data record.

One data record can contain as many source and target entries (terms) as you want. How you arrange them is up to you (synonym, abbreviation fields, etc.)
Just make sure your Terminology view includes all the possible fields you want to see (View, Terminology layout, your view).
I keep it simple and only have Entry.Term in the source language, and Entry.Term, .Abbr and .Syn in the target language.

Richard
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit terminology - more than two synonyms for a term

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »