Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it possible to export a Transit TM as .tmx for import in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Susanne Rosenberg
Susanne Rosenberg
Susanne Rosenberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:41
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The TMX file content looks quite different Nov 4, 2016

Thanks a lot, CafeTran Training, I shall try the import and export via Xbench out later, but I think that the customer will have to try to export the TM again, since the content of the TMX file generated in Transit is quite different from that of my own TM exports, i. e. the translation units do not come in pairs like in an export from Studio - so it really looks as if the TMX files are not right for this purpose.

Judging from the content of the customer's TMX file, it seems as if t
... See more
Thanks a lot, CafeTran Training, I shall try the import and export via Xbench out later, but I think that the customer will have to try to export the TM again, since the content of the TMX file generated in Transit is quite different from that of my own TM exports, i. e. the translation units do not come in pairs like in an export from Studio - so it really looks as if the TMX files are not right for this purpose.

Judging from the content of the customer's TMX file, it seems as if they have actually exported the pretranslated translation project as a TMX file instead of the TM itself, although I have no idea how this would work in Transit.

If I am right, I would appreciate if you could describe step by step what exactly my customer would have to do in order to export the "language pair files" so that we can get this right first. I thought that I had found some proper instructions on the Internet which I sent to my customer, but apparently the result is still not right - I cannot believe that this should be so difficult!

Once again, thank you all for your time and effort.
Collapse

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 14:41
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Transit Package Nov 4, 2016

There is a free app for Studio 2015 at the SDL App Store for working with Transit packages (without term support), and memoQ 2015 also works with Transit packages (supporting terms). Is it possible to get a Transit package from the client?

TM Container vs. file-based translation memory Nov 7, 2016

Susanne Rosenberg wrote:
Actually, I found a similar reference a couple of days ago, but according to my customer they would need an "extra licence" (an add-on, I suppose) in order to have access to the TM container. Do you know if this can actually be the case?

No and yes.
Transit supports two different approaches for translation memory:
The file-based translation memory (supported "since ever") and a so-called TM Container (supported since 2 or 4 years or so). The TM Container support is an additional feature, i.e. "filling", using and exporting the TM Container is optional.

To me it seems absurd that a system would not allow you to export your TMs, but then again I do not know Transit.

"Extra licence" for a TM system to access the TM? That's not only absurd, but also wrong:
- If your customer is using the file-based TM (as a standard feature), he can of course access it without extra licence.
- If your customer is using the optional TM Container, he has the "extra licence" which enables him -- of course -- to acess the TM and export it as TMX.
- If your customer does not have the "extra licence", he has no TM Container. And -- suprise! -- cannot export its (non-existing) content as TMX.

It sounds as your cutsomer does not know Transit very well, too.

Meaningfull export settings Nov 7, 2016

Susanne Rosenberg wrote:
Judging from the content of the customer's TMX file, it seems as if they have actually exported the pretranslated translation project as a TMX file instead of the TM itself, although I have no idea how this would work in Transit.

Does that mean the TMX contains also untranslated segments? I.e. some segments where source and target content is the same (= untranslated)?

If so, your customer may
- have exported the current project as TMX instead of TM (makes no sense for your purpose)
- not have checked the "minimum segment status" option (would have made sense in this case)
- have checked the "also export identical segments" option (makes no sense in this case)

IMHO, the TMX chapter in the Reference Guide is understandable and describes well what to do for what purpose...

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much, everybody! Nov 7, 2016

I haven't managed to solve the export/import problem (yet), but Alexander Somin's tip has made it possible for me to open Transit packages in Studio, and this solution works very well - at least in this case. So thanks a lot for all your good input and ideas!

Alexander Somin wrote:
There is a free app for Studio 2015 at the SDL App Store for working with Transit packages (without term support), and memoQ 2015 also works with Transit packages (supporting terms). Is it possible to get a Transit package from the client?

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Nov 8, 2016

Thanks a lot, Oiseau noir, for explaning how this works in Transit. It is good to hear that not the tool itselfs is limiting the possibilities.

Oiseau noir wrote:
Does that mean the TMX contains also untranslated segments? I.e. some segments where source and target content is the same (= untranslated)?

If so, your customer may
- have exported the current project as TMX instead of TM (makes no sense for your purpose)
- not have checked the "minimum segment status" option (would have made sense in this case)
- have checked the "also export identical segments" option (makes no sense in this case)

Exactly, it looked as if there were untranslated segments in the the TMX file, and judging from my customer's comments I believe that they actually exported the project as TMX, although I tried very hard to explain that I needed an export from the TM, which then ended in the container issue.

Oiseau noir wrote:
IMHO, the TMX chapter in the Reference Guide is understandable and describes well what to do for what purpose...

Well, one should think so

Oiseau noir wrote:
It sounds as your cutsomer does not know Transit very well, too.

This is my impression, too - but at least now we have found a solution that works.

Again, thank you all for your help. Happy translating and have a nice day!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to export a Transit TM as .tmx for import in Trados Studio?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »