Can Transit's panes be moved to a secondary screen?
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 12:24
May 1, 2017

I'm running Transit in VMware Fusion (on a Mac) and I noticed that I cannot move any pane to my secondary screen.

Is this a limitation of the virtualisation or isn't Transit capable to position panes on any other screen than the primary?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workaround May 1, 2017

I think Transit does not allow you to move the panes outside of the main window borders. So, you need to stretch your main Transit screen to your second monitor (if you can do that in your virtual environment), and then you can move the panes over there. This works for me in Windows, I just tried.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 2, 2017

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I think Transit does not allow you to move the panes outside of the main window borders. So, you need to stretch your main Transit screen to your second monitor (if you can do that in your virtual environment), and then you can move the panes over there. This works for me in Windows, I just tried.

Thanks, but I cannot verify that, since my Thunderbolt monitor has a low resolution and my iMac has a Retina screen. Anyway, I was just asking because of another thread here, where a user listed some CAT tools that can use multiple screens.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why does resolution matter for trying it out? May 2, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Thanks, but I cannot verify that, since my Thunderbolt monitor has a low resolution and my iMac has a Retina screen. Anyway, I was just asking because of another thread here, where a user listed some CAT tools that can use multiple screens.

You could still try, even if the resolution of your two screens is different. As long as you can use the second monitor in extension mode, you should be able to stretch the Transit window over two screens. All you need to see is whether you can slide the pane between your monitors. You can see that regardless of the resolution, no?

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Transit on two monitors works perfectly for me May 2, 2017

Hi,

I have been using Transit NXT on 1.5 monitors ever since I got a 2nd monitor to work on. I have set my Transit to show the editor windows on 2 3rds of my first monitor with the Terminology window on the last 3rd and Fuzzy and Concordance windows on the upper half and lower half of the second monitor. That leaves half a monitor for my browser/original PDF file or other applications I need during translation.

Pulling Transit onto the second monitor and setting it as w
... See more
Hi,

I have been using Transit NXT on 1.5 monitors ever since I got a 2nd monitor to work on. I have set my Transit to show the editor windows on 2 3rds of my first monitor with the Terminology window on the last 3rd and Fuzzy and Concordance windows on the upper half and lower half of the second monitor. That leaves half a monitor for my browser/original PDF file or other applications I need during translation.

Pulling Transit onto the second monitor and setting it as wide as I want it never turned out to be a problem. However, I use two identical monitors with identical resolution in a Windows 10 setup.

HTH
Iris
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
feasible; usually up to six May 2, 2017

Besides separate video-cards, one could use a native video support (ATI -- HydraVision; nVidia -- nView), and there're plenty of third-party options like 'Actual Multiple Monitors'.

It's may be quite impressive to try ATI Eyefinity/NVIDIA Surround)

John Taylor
John Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:24
German to English
+ ...
Try Dual Monitor Tools May 19, 2017

I use Dual Monitor Tools on Virtualbox.
dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/download.html
Lets you set a shortcut to maximise a window over two monitors.
Very useful also for memoQ, DVX etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Transit's panes be moved to a secondary screen?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »