Thread poster: thtalbot
thtalbot
thtalbot  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:46
German to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2018

I find that Transit NXT (Freelance, Sp 9) often crashes with very large dictionaries (45,000+ entries) and/or large reference file folders integrated. Have other people encountered this problem?

Frits Ens
Frits Ens
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Crashes do occur Jan 19, 2018

Hi,
In my experience (heavy user of Transit NXT) crashes occur rarely.
And when they occur it is usually during spellcheck/terminology check.

What usually works for me, is to save the translation files (just ctrl S is enough) after/before every step during the review process.

Hope this helps

[Edited at 2018-01-19 11:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-19 11:35 GMT]

thtalbot
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit NXT crashes Jan 19, 2018

Thanks for the response, but the crashing occurs more often during the translation process.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
I can confirm this Jan 19, 2018

thtalbot wrote:

I find that Transit NXT (Freelance, Sp 9) often crashes with very large dictionaries (45,000+ entries) and/or large reference file folders integrated. Have other people encountered this problem?

Yes, with large dictionaries, Transit (Pro) freezes too (I wouldn't call it 'crashes', since no error message is displayed). It doesn't matter whether you use an Access termbase or an MS SQL database (which is supposed to cater for large data sets).

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
I cannot confirm this... Jan 24, 2018

but large dictionaries do considerably slow down the performance of Transit. It sometimes takes minutes before the terminological entries appear.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Something worth trying Jan 24, 2018

This may not be directly relevant (as I have Transit Professional, still SP8), but I queried STAR recently about two-letter words/abbreviations that were not showing in the Terminology pane immediately after being added (via Rapid Entry). I thought it might be due to the size of my dictionary (55k+ records, many with numerous source and/or target entries).
One "cure" was to close down Transit then run it again. But they also told me about an interesting setting in ...\bin\STARTE.INI (open
... See more
This may not be directly relevant (as I have Transit Professional, still SP8), but I queried STAR recently about two-letter words/abbreviations that were not showing in the Terminology pane immediately after being added (via Rapid Entry). I thought it might be due to the size of my dictionary (55k+ records, many with numerous source and/or target entries).
One "cure" was to close down Transit then run it again. But they also told me about an interesting setting in ...\bin\STARTE.INI (open with a text editor, e.g. Notepad), section [settings]:
Update Interval = 30; minutes
which apparently is the default setting.
Let us know if changing this helps.
(Caveat: good practice is to save a copy of any modified .ini files elsewhere, as it's not clear whether or not software updates overwrite them. Does anyone know?)

Richard
Collapse

thtalbot
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit NXT crashes Jan 24, 2018

The program simply shuts down (no freezing). I am aware of course of Ctrl+S, but a program shutdown every 10 minutes or so is wasting a lot of my time. I've also found that in the present case the crashes (with exception code 0xc0000005) happen even if no dictionaries or reference folders are linked. The problem may lie with the particular document (although crashes have often occurred with other documents from the particular customer). Otherwise my PC is perfectly stable.

thtalbot
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit crashes Jan 24, 2018

Thank you wotswot aka Richard for this intriguing suggestion, I'll try it out.

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Transit crashing Jan 24, 2018

Exception code 0xc0000005 is a Windows error, which can have multiple causes (see http://www.errorlive.com/exception-code-0xc0000005).
What version of Windows are you using?
Does this happen ONLY on files from that particular customer? (in which case it may be worth scanning them with your antivirus/antimalware program)

Richard

thtalbot
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit crashes Jan 24, 2018

Windows 10 Pro. The problem primarily occurs with this customer (who has been informed, but no reply yet), but I can't rule out that it hasn't happened with other projects. The problem also occurred sporadically with Transit XV, and on a variety of machines. All files I receive are scanned.

thtalbot
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit crash problem resolved? Jan 28, 2018

Transit is no longer crashing after I uninstalled my current anti-virus program and reverted back to Windows Defender.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Good to hear! Jan 28, 2018

thtalbot wrote:

Transit is no longer crashing after I uninstalled my current anti-virus program and reverted back to Windows Defender.

Good to hear that your problem has been solved. FTR: Which anti-virus software were you using?

thtalbot
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit crash problem resolved? Jan 28, 2018

Bit Defender

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Anti-virus problem Jan 28, 2018

Glad you resolved it. I had a similar experience yesterday with my anti-virus software (malwarebytes premium), which suddenly stopped working and slowed down my computer to a crawl. In Task Manager it was eating up RAM at an alarming rate (roughly 100 MB per second) so I stopped the process when it reached 1.8 GB!!! (about sixteen times more RAM than usual) and quickly uninstalled the software. I've reverted to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, similar to Defender) and everything's back to nor... See more
Glad you resolved it. I had a similar experience yesterday with my anti-virus software (malwarebytes premium), which suddenly stopped working and slowed down my computer to a crawl. In Task Manager it was eating up RAM at an alarming rate (roughly 100 MB per second) so I stopped the process when it reached 1.8 GB!!! (about sixteen times more RAM than usual) and quickly uninstalled the software. I've reverted to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, similar to Defender) and everything's back to normal.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT crashes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »