Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
Chinese to German
+ ...
Mar 8, 2018

Hi,
I am translating an English-Chinese mixed text and would like to filter all segments that include Chinese characters as well as English words (= letters of the Roman alphabet).

I have the RegEx for displaying Chinese characters: [\u4e00-\u9fa5]
How would I have to set up a filter RegEx that combines Chinese characters with Roman alphabet letters, regardless of their order or amount? Can anybody help me or give me a hint on how to do it? I have checked the reference h
... See more
Hi,
I am translating an English-Chinese mixed text and would like to filter all segments that include Chinese characters as well as English words (= letters of the Roman alphabet).

I have the RegEx for displaying Chinese characters: [\u4e00-\u9fa5]
How would I have to set up a filter RegEx that combines Chinese characters with Roman alphabet letters, regardless of their order or amount? Can anybody help me or give me a hint on how to do it? I have checked the reference handbook, but could not find a viable solution.

TIA
Iris
Collapse

MuMyongCy (X)
MuMyongCy (X)
South Korea
Local time: 22:27
English to Korean
post examples Mar 8, 2018

then you will have better chance to get proper answer.
the more examples, the nicer RegExp could be made (by some other smart people not me).

[Edited at 2018-03-08 15:15 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Double filter action? Mar 9, 2018

How about filtering on Chinese characters first and then—while keeping the result of this filter action—filtering on either letters or whole words with Roman letters?

Karen_E
Karen_E
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
Thumbs up to double filter suggestion Mar 9, 2018

I agree with Hans - I would apply one filter first, then go back to the "Create filter" option, make your adjustments, then click on "More" and tick the box to apply the new filter "To the result of the current filter". That way, it will create a double layer of filtering and show you the segments that meet both criteria.

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DUH-Why didn't I think of the double filter? Mar 10, 2018

Hi Hans, hi Karen,

thanks, the double filter option works perfectly!

Funny enough, I've used double filters in this project before, like filtering all segments NOT containing Chinese characters and then filtering all untranslated segments within these. However, I did not think of just entering different segment content for a double filter.

Solved my problem, thanks!
Iris

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
Or operator Jun 1, 2018

You can also create an expression with an OR operator. Sequence of english letters [a-z]|[\u4e00-\u9fa5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with filter RegEx needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »