Thread poster: Saida Afef Gardabbou
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:51
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Accuracy Nov 27, 2011

In medical translations a text is back translated to rule out any errors that may have slipped in and to ensure coherence across a multicentre clinical trial that is being carried out in different countries.
In pharmacy, Summary of Product Characteristics and Patient Information Leaflets using EMEA templates are often backtranslated for the same reason.
Of course, it's important to translate exactly what is written and not to "improve" it in any way.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
back Nov 27, 2011

I would doubt that any "back translation" would ever be the same as the original. And I can see how any differences between one and the other could give rise to all sorts of arguments.

MollyRose

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
English to Serbian
+ ...
Nuances and facts Nov 27, 2011

The significance and the way BT is "done" depends on the project / what is asked of a translator.

In copywriting BT is a good tool to illustrate the differences in nuances of the message, to check whether the style/tone is appropriate and acceptable (for example, if idioms are used they are translated, and then explained in comments).

In other projects BT can be done by another translator, and afterwards the source and BT are compared to see if there are factual differe
... See more
The significance and the way BT is "done" depends on the project / what is asked of a translator.

In copywriting BT is a good tool to illustrate the differences in nuances of the message, to check whether the style/tone is appropriate and acceptable (for example, if idioms are used they are translated, and then explained in comments).

In other projects BT can be done by another translator, and afterwards the source and BT are compared to see if there are factual differences.

It can be a lengthy process, but it usually pays off.
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
PLEASE HELP - backtranslation of my own translation (?!) Jan 29, 2020

I've decided to revive the antiquated thread in a desperate hope of getting an answer to a similar (but worse) problem.

I have been asked to back-translate MY OWN translation. It's part of a test and initially it was a reason for me not submitting it since I just had no idea what to do with this demand. But now they've asked for it again, so it looks like they really could have some jobs for me (and they're very interesting too).

Here is how the client describes what th
... See more
I've decided to revive the antiquated thread in a desperate hope of getting an answer to a similar (but worse) problem.

I have been asked to back-translate MY OWN translation. It's part of a test and initially it was a reason for me not submitting it since I just had no idea what to do with this demand. But now they've asked for it again, so it looks like they really could have some jobs for me (and they're very interesting too).

Here is how the client describes what they want:

Back-Translation is a pseudo translation back to English. This is expected to be more or less a literal translation of what you have written so that the Project Managers or non-speaker checkers can have the literal gist of your translation.

To be sure, the texts are in MARKETING and they're of the sort that requires a lot of creativity, so the translations will have completely different syntax and structure.
So should I just pretend to know nothing of English syntax, idioms etc. (btw. I don't do translations into EN), plus completely erase any memory of the source text from my head, and provide the crappiest literal, word-by-word rendering of my (forward-)translation??? I don't see how I could achieve such a state of mind (except getting drunk till near unconscious).

I will probably ask the client since I really have no clue whatsoever what to do with this, but I'm not very hopeful of getting a helpful answer.
I really hope I can get some sensible advice here.
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Idioms Jan 29, 2020

Romeo Mlinar wrote:
(for example, if idioms are used they are translated, and then explained in comments).

You mean idioms are to be translated literally?

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Katarzyna Jan 29, 2020

I would ask them to give you a different test and explain that you had already translated this. It wouldn't be a fair test to back translate something you had done previously.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Back-translation for those who don't understand your translation Jan 29, 2020

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:
Here is how the client describes what they want:

Back-Translation is a pseudo translation back to English. This is expected to be more or less a literal translation of what you have written so that the Project Managers or non-speaker checkers can have the literal gist of your translation.

Well, that explains it pretty well.

Your back-translation into English is not the translation which will be judged, it is a tool to judge how you translated the text into Polish (I'm assuming it was into Polish?) in the first place. It illustrates your methodology. They want to see what you did to the text, how you rendered the source text into Polish, they want to see where you made changes text, they want to see if you were creative and changed things around.

The fact that the actual translation required a lot of creativity, as you say, is exactly the reason behind this back-translation. They want to see how creative you were.

How useful this process is for evaluating a translation is a different question and is not for me or you to judge. I am sure, the actual translation will also be reviewed by someone competent in the target language, and looking at the back-translation will only be a small part of the review process. But your back-translation will allow someone who does not understand your translation to get a glimpse of how you did your translation.

PS: Imagine you have to explain to your grandmother the English phrase "It is raining cats and dogs". You might translate it as "It is raining very much" but then you might also add a literal translation. Of course, this literal translation on its own would be nonsense and nobody would understand it, but you want to show your grandmother what a funny image the English language uses – the literal translation is merely used to illustrate this. And a back-translation is very much like that – it's not something you would say or publish, it merely explains what has been going on during the translation process.

[Edited at 2020-01-30 10:30 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of Back-translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »