[OFFTOP] Glossary non/equivalence
Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2017

Dear colleagues--finally, my client provided a huge, worthy, decent, and relevant glossary)

She knew exactly how and what she wanted, and asked to use the first synonym from the glossary, e.g.
angiosarcoma: hemangiosarcoma, lymphangiosarcoma, malignant hemangioendothelioma

However, consulting several local doctors, I found that not all such terms are freely interchangeable, let alone different standards/classifications and preferenc
... See more
Dear colleagues--finally, my client provided a huge, worthy, decent, and relevant glossary)

She knew exactly how and what she wanted, and asked to use the first synonym from the glossary, e.g.
angiosarcoma: hemangiosarcoma, lymphangiosarcoma, malignant hemangioendothelioma

However, consulting several local doctors, I found that not all such terms are freely interchangeable, let alone different standards/classifications and preferences--at least in this country.

Of course, I informed the client and she replied that's ok and had her job done.

Though I did the task properly, I still have some not very pleasant feeling, so

Have you ever encountered possible translation incongruities making you wonder?

TY

[Edited at 2017-10-25 18:01 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[OFFTOP] Glossary non/equivalence

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »