Key Metrics-International Standards for Quality of Translation?
Thread poster: Jared Schy
Jared Schy
Jared Schy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
Chinese to English
Dec 19, 2019

I am aware there are international metrics by which companies may use as a guide to judge translations. I am working from CH-EN. Looking for conversation on quantifiable metrics that have been certified/agreed upon internationally to judge a translation/translator ability by.

Starti
... See more
I am aware there are international metrics by which companies may use as a guide to judge translations. I am working from CH-EN. Looking for conversation on quantifiable metrics that have been certified/agreed upon internationally to judge a translation/translator ability by.

Starting points:
https://www.pangeanic.com/translation-services/quality/iso-translation-standards/#
https://blog.taus.net/the-8-most-used-standards-and-metrics-for-translation-quality-evaluation
https://www.morningtrans.com/translation-quality-standards-what-do-they-mean/
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jared Dec 19, 2019

Jared Schy wrote:
I am aware there are international metrics which companies may use as a guide to judge translations. I am working from Chinese to English.

These metrics are generally not language-specific. The translation is sent to a reviewer, who fills in a standardized quality assurance form. One such metric that I often encounter is the LISA LQA. It's useful in the right hands, and an utter waste of time in the wrong hands. Such metrics encourage translators not to think of what is best for the client, but to learn how to become good at defending one's position from penalties.

https://blog.taus.net/the-8-most-used-standards-and-metrics-for-translation-quality-evaluation

Oh, by the way, the language code for Chinese is ZH, and the letters "CH" is the country code for Switzerland.

neilmac

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
German to English
Recently surveyed regarding ISO compliance Dec 23, 2019

A long-time ISO-certified customer now under new ownership/management recently sent me a questionnaire to determine my compliance with ISO 9001/17100 standards. Since I am a sole operator and do not – per agreement – outsource work from this agency, and haven't outsourced any work at all for several years, I was unable to respond to some of the questions, nor could I provide any meaningful documentation such as an organization chart. The person sending the survey indicated that I should fill... See more
A long-time ISO-certified customer now under new ownership/management recently sent me a questionnaire to determine my compliance with ISO 9001/17100 standards. Since I am a sole operator and do not – per agreement – outsource work from this agency, and haven't outsourced any work at all for several years, I was unable to respond to some of the questions, nor could I provide any meaningful documentation such as an organization chart. The person sending the survey indicated that I should fill out the survey completely nonetheless.

Over the years I've taken work from ISO-certified outsourcers who applied certain standards when determining my fitness to perform translations, and who have sent contracts specifying quality standards and methods for remedying errors. My own policy is that if a client discovers an error, I fix it. There's no separate documentation, apart from the corrected file. I don't maintain a procedures manual.

As I understand it, these ISO standards were developed to specify procedures for organizations, not individuals. Requiring freelancers to comply with ISO certification standards, including extensive documentation requirements, will place an unfair burden on all types of self-employment. Outsourcers engage a range of freelancers, from translators and technical writers to DTP operators and graphic artists. Freelancers are the life blood of most agencies; killing off this profession would be suicidal for these organizations.

Is this what the future holds for us, or am I just being an alarmist? I've been with this agency for over 15 years, and losing it as a customer will make me consider retirement.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Key Metrics-International Standards for Quality of Translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »